GPA or Research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

podocyteneg

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I am a student here at TCU. TCU has a rigorous pre-med program, so my GPA is not looking so good. I heard many people talk about how research program has helped to boost their application, so I am looking into doing a summer research program. However, I also need to retake organic chem I. Yet, the research program will probably take up all of my summer. I decided to maybe do a SMP at TCOM before applying to med school, which means that the summer after graduation, I will be taking classes. Basically, I only have this summer to do the research program. Should I just retake Ochem or do the research? Please help me out!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
With your GPA, you're not going to be looking at any research-focused schools (ie. top-whatevers). Your time would be much better spent working on getting your GPA up as high as possible.

Reactions: 3 users
It's much more difficult repairing GPA than it is landing a research spot. Repair your GPA and then do whatever research your heart desires. You need to start having a strong upward GPA trend.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
TCU has a rigorous pre-med program, so my GPA is not looking so good (cGPA: 3.15 sGPA: 2.83)

I don’t think that’s the problem (never even heard of TCU tbh). Fix the problem before you add an additional one doing research

With your GPA, you're not going to be looking at any research-focused schools (ie. top-whatevers). Your time would be much better spent working on getting your GPA up as high as possible.
Thank you so much for your advise!

It's much more difficult repairing GPA than it is landing a research spot. Repair your GPA and then do whatever research your heart desires. You need to start having a strong upward GPA trend.
I did much better in the last semester. GPA is my main priority right now and I'm working my hardest to fix it. Since the GPA is low, I thought it would be beneficial to have an extra research on the application.

Reactions: 1 user
I don’t think that’s the problem (never even heard of TCU tbh). Fix the problem before you add an additional one doing research
If you are out of Texas you probably never heard of us. But from my experience, it's really tough over here.

Hello everyone!
I am a student here at TCU. TCU has a rigorous pre-med program, so my GPA is not looking so good (cGPA: 3.15 sGPA: 2.83). I heard many people talk about how research program has helped to boost their application, so I am looking into doing a summer research program. However, I also need to retake organic chem I since I have a D in the class. Yet, the research program will probably take up all of my summer. I am a junior already and with a low GPA, I decided to maybe do a SMP at TCOM before applying to med school, which means that the summer after graduation, I will be taking classes. Basically, I only have this summer to do the research program. Should I just retake Ochem or do the research? Please help me out!
Five first author papers in Cell or Nature will not get you into med school with those GPAs. You need to be able to show that you can handle med school first.

Hello everyone!
I am a student here at TCU. TCU has a rigorous pre-med program, so my GPA is not looking so good (cGPA: 3.15 sGPA: 2.83). I heard many people talk about how research program has helped to boost their application, so I am looking into doing a summer research program. However, I also need to retake organic chem I since I have a D in the class. Yet, the research program will probably take up all of my summer. I am a junior already and with a low GPA, I decided to maybe do a SMP at TCOM before applying to med school, which means that the summer after graduation, I will be taking classes. Basically, I only have this summer to do the research program. Should I just retake Ochem or do the research? Please help me out!
Lol TCU isn’t an extremely hard pre-med program (I have lived near Dallas stadium before, I know what people say). Throw your victim mentality out the window and start busting your ass.

Even if you go to a very difficult school with know grade deflation, you are still expected to keep your GPA above a certain level. BTW, Barron ranking of difficulty ranks TCU as a "2," which is average.

Don't kid yourself into thinking TCU is a "rigorous" school. It's not. The only reason I've even heard of it is because I watch college football.

Your GPA is abysmal and you're probably not getting in. But a good attitude does go a long way. Repeat some classes, boost your GPA, then come back for a second opinion. Good luck.

Thank you everyone for giving your honest opinions!
I am not trying to get into med school with such a low GPA. As I mentioned above, I am trying my best to fix my GPA and also thought of doing a post bacc or SMP (Med Sci) after my undergrad. About the difficulty of TCU pre-med, it was based on my own experience and I did not carry it as a mindset nor an excuse of my GPA. Difficult or not, one thing I do know is that I struggled, yet still decided to stay as a pre-Med because I really wanted to do this. I also tried very hard in every class even though my GPA does not reflect it. I am bettering myself every day to become a competitive applicant. I'm just here asking for advice and I really appreciate you guys for giving your honest thoughts.

#1 is figuring out how you can do better in your coursework ASAP. Make sure you are using the resources available to you: school's learning center, upperclassment, asking professors what they think is the best way to prepare for their class, etc.

Need to figure out a reproducible method for doing well academically because raising your GPA is only hurdle #1, then comes doing well on the MCAT which is an entirely different beast.

With a good post-bacc / SMP and a good MCAT score you do have a shot at getting in somewhere in TX.

It sounds like youre motivated, which is awesome, at this moment in time I wouldnt bother with any research and just channel your energies into coursework/improving academically. Keep up ECs like clinical volunteering etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly, if you can't handle science classes in your undergrad, then how do you think you will fare in medical school. Research is not something that only occurs during the summer. I did research year-round while I also took a full course load. You need to be able to handle everything all at the same time because it shows good time-management skills and will give an indication how you might perform in medical school. You absolutely need to get your grades up and then see if you can get some research going as well.