gpa question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxrxrx

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok heres the situation...

undergrad gpa: 2.8
masters gpa: 3.6
lots of volunteer and research experience and recent pharm tech experience...

will the masters gpa 'override' the undergrad gpa or should some undergrad classes be retaken?

assuming a competitive pcat score, is there a realistic chance for acceptance somewhere?

Members don't see this ad.

ok heres the situation...

undergrad gpa: 2.8
masters gpa: 3.6
lots of volunteer and research experience and recent pharm tech experience...

will the masters gpa 'override' the undergrad gpa or should some undergrad classes be retaken?

assuming a competitive pcat score, is there a realistic chance for acceptance somewhere?

The prerequisites were pretty at your undergraduate I believe so they will consider more your undergrad. However with your master you prove that you have the ability to take graduate course work. With a good PCAT and your experience you should be able to get in.

Almost identical stats and experience here and I got in this year.
Undergrad GPA = 2.62
Graduate GPA = 3.63
PCAT composite = 82

It depends on what your grad courses were. My grad GPA included 2 difficult P2 & P3 courses which showed the adcom I was competent and could succeed in the program.

My MS will be in Pharmaceutical Science with a major in Pharmacology, if yours is related to the health sciences, specifically pharmacy, I would say you certainly have a chance.

Apply to private schools, dominate the PCAT, and most importantly apply early. Keep up the good work, you'll get there eventually, took me 5.5 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info BuffaloPills, its nice to see somebody get in with similar stats. That question was actually for my friend and her masters was in Molecular Biology while her bacehlors was in Physio.

What type of response did you face with your undergraduate GPA and how did you handle that? Basically that GPA is the only downside to her application and I just want to make sure that it doesn't hurt her too much, especially since she showed, like yourself, the ability to handle professional level courses.

My gpa is currently going through a similar problem. How did you find out about your master programs? I was having fears that my GPA was too low to even be granted access into the master program.

immediately after i received my B.S. from suny buffalo, I transferred to campbell university to pursue a second B.S. I did 1 semester there in the BS pharmaceutical sciences program and received 6 A's and 2 B's. Having achieved that I was granted provisional acceptance into the M.S. Pharmaceutical Science program and had to maintain a 3.0. Thats how I got into the M.S. program, and some of the M.S. courses were cross-listed as pharmd courses.

During my interview I explained that my ug gpa was in the past and that I transferred to campbell to make a u-turn academically to demonstrate my proficiency to the pharm adcom, my grades at campbell reflected that.

They interviewers didn't question if I could succeed in pharmacy school, since I demonstrated that i could handle a heavy workload with 8 science courses in 1 semester, 3.82, and the grad gpa proved that I was competent from a conceptual standpoint.

Hope this answers your questions. Tell your friend I wish her the best of luck.

They interviewers didn't question if I could succeed in pharmacy school, since I demonstrated that i could handle a heavy workload with 8 science courses in 1 semester, 3.82, and the grad gpa proved that I was competent from a conceptual standpoint.

Um, yeah....... I'd say you demonstrated your competence and your abilities. ;-)

Nice work.