gpa question!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hope14

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it true that they only calculate your highest grade for the gpa if you have repeated a course?

sorry if this questions been asked...couldnt find the thread...

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the school. Some schools average your grades, others take your highest grade.

is it true that they only calculate your highest grade for the gpa if you have repeated a course?

sorry if this questions been asked...couldnt find the thread...

thanks

PharmCAS averages the two. Non-PharmCAS schools vary. Don't know if some PharmCAS schools recalculate giving the higher of the two grades, but I doubt it.

Members don't see this ad :)
oh that stinks!! the Pharmcas scale is off too and if the schools do use the pharmcas gpa, then the gpa tends to drop significantly when classes are retaken ........... :(......:mad:

oh that stinks!! the Pharmcas scale is off too and if the schools do use the pharmcas gpa, then the gpa tends to drop significantly when classes are retaken ........... :(......:mad:

yes, that's what people been noticing who've applied in the past. pharmcas gpa typically lower than they anticipated.

you can read more about it on www.pharmcas.org

PharmCAS averages the two. Non-PharmCAS schools vary. Don't know if some PharmCAS schools recalculate giving the higher of the two grades, but I doubt it.

I read this again and thought it might need clarification. Both grades are calculated into the GPA as separate grades, not as a single averaged grade.

C + A = C + A, not C + A = B

isnt that essentially the same thing? i mean when they average the grades if you have two 4 hour credits of an A + C / 2 = B. i mean its just how averages work.

isnt that essentially the same thing? i mean when they average the grades if you have two 4 hour credits of an A + C / 2 = B. i mean its just how averages work.

The only difference would be in your quality points. A 4 unit class would be worth 12 points if you averaged in one B versus counting quality points for both grades 24 quality points basically worth 2 B's. If you have 200 quality points it's not as big a deal. If all you have is your prereqs it could be somewhat more significant.

2 4 unit classes, 1 A, and a C replaced by an A would then average out to would be 3.5 (1 A + 1 C = 1 B, 3*4 + 4 * 4 = 28, 28 points/ 8 units attempted = 3.5)

The same 2 classes, but all three grades calculated ( 1 C = 8 pts, 1 A = 16 pts, 1 A = 16 pts = 40pts/12 units= 3.33

For two classes with a single replacement it's a 0.17 difference, more classes will decrease the effect, but it'll be non-zero. More replacements will increase the effect.

In my case I only had 22 units calculated through my school, but 24 calculated by PharmCAS, my school calculated 1 D, PharmCAS calculated GPA using both. Hence 3.09 vs 2.86