GPA recovery. Is there hope?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopeful1234567

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My friend who's about to graduate with a bachelors had a very rough beginning of undergrad for personal and financial reasons. She had extremely challenging childhood and teenage years which included being homeless during high school and going between a few foster homes. The difficulties she faced growing up had an impact on her mental health but she has definitely proven she could handle medical school this last year of undergrad, working full time and maintaining all A's in upper division science courses. She will likely finish undergrad with ~3.0, maybe slightly lower. She made several C's in med school pre-req courses. My question is what can be done to make her a competitive applicant for med school? I know adcoms would jump at investing in an applicant who has overcome so many obstacles, but I know it's an uphill battle with that low of a gpa.

Members don't see this ad.

My friend who's about to graduate with a bachelors had a very rough beginning of undergrad for personal and financial reasons. She had extremely challenging childhood and teenage years which included being homeless during high school and going between a few foster homes. The difficulties she faced growing up had an impact on her mental health but she has definitely proven she could handle medical school this last year of undergrad, working full time and maintaining all A's in upper division science courses. She will likely finish undergrad with ~3.0, maybe slightly lower. She made several C's in med school pre-req courses. My question is what can be done to make her a competitive applicant for med school? I know adcoms would jump at investing in an applicant who has overcome so many obstacles, but I know it's an uphill battle with that low of a gpa.
kill MCAT and write a phenomenal personal statement

Reactions: 1 user
Post-bacc or SMP as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Rising GPA trends and prolonged periods of academic excellence are noticed by MD schools (and all DO) that reward reinvention. The road traveled is also noted, as is resilience. We like come from behind stories...it's in our national DNA.

Reactions: 2 users
Rising GPA trends and prolonged periods of academic excellence are noticed by MD schools (and all DO) that reward reinvention. The road traveled is also noted, as is resilience. We like come from behind stories...it's in our national DNA.
Would doing well in a master's program be of benefit? Since she's done with undergrad and will need to show more prolonged academic success, what should her next step be?

Yes, aceing an SMP or post-bac is required.
What exactly is a post bacc if you've already taken all of your med school pre reqs? Should she go back and retake the prerequisites and other upper division science courses?
And thank you so much for your responses!

Retaking pre reqs is only suggested if the grades were F or D, or the OP feels that their grasp .of the material is not good enough for the MCAT.

The postbac course work should be upper level Bio courses, preferably those like anatomy, histology, med micro, etc.

What exactly is a post bacc if you've already taken all of your med school pre reqs? Should she go back and retake the prerequisites and other upper division science courses?
And thank you so much for your responses!