GPA repair

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bjt223

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
During my time at community college, I was not a good student. I got C's for all my prerequiste classes such as Gen Chem 1 and 2, Ochem 1 and 2, Physics 1,2, Bio 1, 2, and math classes. I transferred after that and did well on my upper division classes and got a 3.6 GPA overall. While calculating both my lower divisions and upper divisions, I find out that I still have a low sGPA and currently have 2.8.

Can I retake those classes at another community college, take lower division classes at my undergraduate college, or apply for SNPS/Post Bacc programs?

Also, I'm interested in DO program hence posting a thread here.

Members don't see this ad.

You can retake at the same CC, another CC, or your university. Just make sure the descriptions are the same and the credit hours are equal to or greater than the original course.

You can retake at the same CC, another CC, or your university. Just make sure the descriptions are the same and the credit hours are equal to or greater than the original course.
+1, but to add... skip the SMP, simply retake any C/D/F science courses. Don't worry about math as it isn't calculated into AACOMAS sGPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Should I retake it anyways because the cGPA?

Retake the science courses first, then see where your cGPA sits. What is your cGPA right now?
My cGPA is at 3.0. I was never good with English classes, unfortunately.

My cGPA is at 3.0. I was never good with English classes, unfortunately.
I think if you retake those prereqs then you should be in good shape. Try to get both your sGPA and cGPA at or above a 3.2.

Reactions: 1 user
I think if you retake those prereqs then you should be in good shape. Try to get both your sGPA and cGPA at or above a 3.2.
Thank you. Does MCAT matter in a way? I scored a 35 for that MCAT score.

Thank you. Does MCAT matter in a way? I scored a 35 for that MCAT score.

A MCAT of 35 is superb, but you'll need at least a 3.25 for some do school gpa cut offs maybe less a little less with such a high mcat. I'd aim for that asap before your mcat expires and apply.

Retake science classes and get your sGPA up, and you'll be fine. 35 mcat will help

I'm trying to retake a C grade for ethology and developmental biology, and the only school nearby that offers both is constantly closed when I try to see if I can sneak in as a non-matric. There is no waitlist, and the classes I took in undergrad were: ethology: 3 credits- no lab, and developmental bio: 4 credit lecture only as well. Would online be frowned upon if I can find another university that offers them?

Ps: Anyone happen to know any reputable colleges with online science courses if so?

On that note, if I replace my D's with A's and B's will two C+'s hurt me a lot you think?

I wouldn't worry about retaking anything except for your pre reqs. And regarding the online college thing, you can take online courses at a normal university and they aren't really noticed, but if you take classes at a strictly online college, I don't think that will fly.