Gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabeapharm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wodnering for those who graduated from college or (who didnt gradaute but have low gpas), I was wondering if you found it hard while taking pre reqs or retaking courses to improve your gpa?

Only 1 school I thik that I talked to only accepted the higher grade from a repeat course. Other schools avg the 2 grades together. Which means if I make a "D" in a class and retake it and make an "A" or "B" there isn't much improvement since it's avg (AM I right on this)?

What is the key to improving a gpa to get into Pharm School (2.71 gpa here)?

I know I need A's but I only need like 6-8 pre reqs so I guess I would have to make ALL A's to see an increase dramatically?

Just curious...sorry I rambled through this post

Thanks guys and gals

Members don't see this ad.

I screwed around in college when I was younger. My GPA really sucked. There were D's, F's and W's on my transcript. When I decided to return to school and took my pharmacy prereq courses, I made all A's except for a B in Organic II. Then I applied to UF, who only looks at math/science GPA and disregards the rest. According to UF, I had a 3.9 GPA. In fact my overall GPA was still only 2 point something.

Im running into the same problem. The school I want to apply to just does an average if you retake courses. But I have taken one course over several times and so it is really bringing my average down, and there is really nothing I can do to improve my GPA. I have all 4.0 or 3.5 in my classes except for one 3.0 in physics, and then this mess with organic chemistry. Im hoping that they will see that there was about 5 years between me taking it the first three times and me taking it now (and getting an A!) and that will help overall impression.

My fault for taking the same class over and over again at the same school. If the teaching atmosphere didnt work the first time WHY did I think it would work the second or third time. ESPECIALLY in the summer! :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
wanna,
don't worry about averaging out your grades. If you remember from a previous post of mine I had a 3.0 after finishing my 2 degrees. I worked for 4 years decided I didn't like the gig and really looked before deciding what to do for a next job. Here were my needs(ability to live in small town, job where I could work and help others, and a job that would allow me to provide for my family so that money would not be a worry). I decided on pharmacy. So I looked at what I had to do. Needed to take the following anat/phys calc I/II, macro or micro econ, and to do well on pcat I decided to get refreshed on chem II since I didn't use this much in my job. In all these classes I worked hard and got A's. I also spent the summer studying for the pcat 1 hr/ day 3 on the weekends. I got 92%. This is what go t me into school, not that I went back and averaged out all my grades. So I have ~20 credits at a 4.0 and about a 150 credits at a 3.0. I told the school in the interview that my pcat and my grades from the last two years reflect who I am as a student and not my gpa from my previous degrees. I also explained that I worked all the way through school graduated with no loans, performed molecular biology research for all four years, and tutored organic chem after repeating it-c and d first time around a-/a- second time around.

DR

Get A's. Prove to the adcom that they want who you are now and that you've matured from who you used to be.

Impossible for you to have a stellar gpa. Not being mean, just helping you face reality.

Concentrate on showing them that you have learned from your mistakes and can now outperform many of those that just studied throughout college, despite your lower gpa. Examples include, rocking the PCAT, rocking your pre-reqs, rocking your EC's and rocking your work.

I've noticed wanna, that many of the answers to your posts can be found by using the search function and just taking the time out to peruse the older threads. No need to go crazy - I know you're worried - but don't stress, if you work hard, you'll get there. :thumbup:

A lot of the schools wont even look at your application if you have a sub 3 gpa. If you think it is impossibles for you to get all A's for the rest of your courses then at least raise your overall to a 3.0 and then work really hard on all other areas (EC activities, PCAT, etc) to show them that you're a strong candidate.