low gpa high pcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wahoo997!!

Reaction score
i've already gotten rejected from a few schools because they're saying my pharmcas gpa is too low (2.6) but through my school i have a 2.9 (my school replaces grades from failed classes but i believe pharmcas keeps them in when calculating gpa). but, i got an 88 composite score on my pcat. does it still seem possible for me to get into any schools with these stats?

Members don't see this ad.

i've already gotten rejected from a few schools because they're saying my pharmcas gpa is too low (2.6) but through my school i have a 2.9 (my school replaces grades from failed classes but i believe pharmcas keeps them in when calculating gpa). but, i got an 88 composite score on my pcat. does it still seem possible for me to get into any schools with these stats?
PCAT is irrelevant. A pulse and $200k in loan eligibility is all you need to get into pharmacy school nowadays (though it might not be your preferred school). Cast a wide net and apply to schools that opened their doors after 2010 and you won’t have an issue with getting into a program.

Reactions: 2 users

If you get accepted with a 2.6 PharmCAS gpa, tell us what institute took you and when their cutoff application cycle ends.

With that, no established institute will take you (outliers are the exception). For-profit new schools may chance it. That’s where you should cast your “small net” towards.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It depends because some schools look heavily at the prerequisite gpa. If you have a high prerequisite gpa but a low over all maybe you have a better chance.

You still have a decent chance. Private msg me for more details, I'm here to help.

PCAT is irrelevant. A pulse and $200k in loan eligibility is all you need to get into pharmacy school nowadays (though it might not be your preferred school). Cast a wide net and apply to schools that opened their doors after 2010 and you won’t have an issue with getting into a program.
this joke is too old. Couldn't you at least be a bit more creative when you trash on pharmacy?

Really bums me out seeing posts like this. When I was applying I had a 3.9 undergrad GPA and 94th percentile PCAT and still got rejected from some schools. Nowadays seems like anybody can get in. Pharmacy has truly become the lowest hanging fruit of all healthcare profession

Really bums me out seeing posts like this. When I was applying I had a 3.9 undergrad GPA and 94th percentile PCAT and still got rejected from some schools. Nowadays seems like anybody can get in. Pharmacy has truly become the lowest hanging fruit of all healthcare profession
Not sure if you know this but the original poster got rejected and was wondering if their stats was good enough to get in. Also, not sure if you know this either but these types of posts happen in all healthcare fields. It even happens in non-healthcare related fields. Its not uncommon to see someone asking for advice on how to be accepted into some institution

Reactions: 1 users
this joke is too old. Couldn't you at least be a bit more creative when you trash on pharmacy?

I'm convinced that there are the same few people with multiple accounts making most of these posts.

Not sure if you know this but the original poster got rejected and was wondering if their stats was good enough to get in. Also, not sure if you know this either but these types of posts happen in all healthcare fields. It even happens in non-healthcare related fields. Its not uncommon to see someone asking for advice on how to be accepted into some institution
Wasn't aware of this. I assumed someone with a sub 3.0 GPA wouldn't even try to apply to med school for example. Yet they still believe they can get into pharmacy school (and probably can nowadays)

Last edited:

88 percentile?
The PCAT ranges from 200 to 600 (What's a good PCAT score? - Kaplan Test Prep). So I assume that you got 88 percentile and not the (scaled) composite score of 88.

what schools did you apply? How many?

Like some said above, cast a wider net. Tbh, I am really interested in knowing what schools rejected you (if you can share). Sounds impossible (to me) that you got rejected from pharmacy schools with those stats in 2019!

Last edited:
Wasn't aware of this. I assumed someone with a sub 3.0 GPA wouldn't even try to apply to med school for example. Yet they still believe they can get into pharmacy school (and probably can nowadays)
Why would you assume the worst out of people? What if this person, up to this point, had no ambitions but am trying to turn their life around? Even if it was a person who just can't cut it, why can't you just tell them the truth about their situation instead of just blaming everything on pharmacy? Its like you only expect perfect people to go into pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad :)

I honestly do not think the poster (@Pharmacy is a Scam) was joking. It is sad but it is the reality!

Why would you assume the worst out of people? What if this person, up to this point, had no ambitions but am trying to turn their life around? Even if it was a person who just can't cut it, why can't you just tell them the truth about their situation instead of just blaming everything on pharmacy? Its like you only expect perfect people to go into pharmacy.

I think it is not wrong to blame pharmacy (and schools). Who should take the blame for the current problems in pharmacy? I think ACPE AACP and pharmacy schools should.

Last edited:
I honestly do not think the poster (@Pharmacy is a Scam) was joking. It is sad but it is the reality!
Reality would prove otherwise according to what this thread is about.
It is a joke though since he types this same post out verbatim to nearly all pre-pharm students who are asking for advice on how to get into a school. Whether or not they have good stats, it is always written.

Reality would prove otherwise according to what this thread is about.
It is a joke though since he types this same post out verbatim to nearly all pre-pharm students who are asking for advice on how to get into a school. Whether or not they have good stats, it is always written.
If it’s true then it shouldn’t get old. Do you prefer me to copy and paste variations of “Get a high GPA, do lots of extracurriculars, work in a pharmacy, shadow a pharmacist and practice with mock interviews” as a response to these threads instead?

If it’s true then it shouldn’t get old. Do you prefer me to copy and paste variations of “Get a high GPA, do lots of extracurriculars, work in a pharmacy, shadow a pharmacist and practice with mock interviews” as a response to these threads instead?
Unfortunately, yes. Although some of these students need to be told something that could be copy and pasted, not all cases are the same. In your case though, you post the same joke whether or not the student has a special case. I don't even know why you responded to me at all since you have a troll account. You should have just trolled me rather than give me an actual response.

You know what, you're right. Schools should probably throw out any GPA or test score requirements. Sometimes people just aren't motivated to get good grades. That shouldn't stop them from getting into the schools they want or getting the job they want.

Yeah- the joke might be old- but for those of us who remember when getting into pharmacy school was actually an achievement in itself- it NEVER ceases to be funny!

I'd love to see someone post a similar thread in the premed forums and see what kind of responses they get. Tell them not to assume the worst out of people.

You know what, you're right. Schools should probably throw out any GPA or test score requirements. Sometimes people just aren't motivated to get good grades. That shouldn't stop them from getting into the schools they want or getting the job they want.
You know what, you're right. Schools should only take in people who only have great grades in undergrad. Forget people who did bad in undergrad and do well in graduate school, they did bad in the past so they shouldn't be allowed to turn their life around. You know what, forget the people who are going back into school as well. Old people shouldn't be allowed to redo college and get another try. Same with those going for a masters. Or those who even showed a positive trend for the last 2 years of college. Pharmacy school should only accept people with 3.75 cgpa.

Yeah- the joke might be old- but for those of us who remember when getting into pharmacy school was actually an achievement in itself- it NEVER ceases to be funny!
You might as well just tell them to make a thread about how pharmacy is a dying field every day and to insert that joke in there. I am sure it will keep you entertained but for most people, repeated jokes get old.
Im not even mad about the joke. I just wanted a new one. Of course I knew the person who wrote it would be a bit hurt about my criticism but I didn't think there would be a cult following behind the joke.

I'd love to see someone post a similar thread in the premed forums and see what kind of responses they get. Tell them not to assume the worst out of people.
maybe something along the lines of, "You should go to graduate school first and do very well there. Then think about blah blah blah..."
Just so you know, I remember there being a thread in the pre dental forums about someone having a 2.9 gpa but getting something close to a 4.0 doing a masters and then getting into dental school. You act like there are no options once you graduate with a bachelors.

Just wondering but do you guys think I am trying to tell OP he/she has a chance to get in with bad stats? Its like you guys never heard of someone turning their life around or something.

Last edited:

Exactly. This person is probably so quick to trash-talk because they had a bad experience in the field and is now trying to scare others.

I'm convinced that there are the same few people with multiple accounts making most of these posts.

I agree. There are a LOT of Negative Nancies commenting under this thread.

Pharmacy school should only accept people with 3.75 cgpa.

This actually was the case for the most part 10-15 years ago when pharmacy schools accepted only top applicants since so many people wanted that near-guaranteed six figure income and signing bonus.

Today we're seeing double the number of students graduating from pharmacy schools each year. Schools have vastly dumbed down their standards of admission and will accept just about anyone who barely meets, or even does not even meet the requirements just so they can fill seats and collect the tuition money from students, hence the joke that they'll accept anyone who qualifes for $200k+ in student loans.

What's scarier than the rising number of new grads unemployed or underemployed is the astonishing large percentage from some schools that cannot even pass the NAPLEX, a minimal competency exam that nearly no one failed 10-15 years ago barring extenuating cirumstances.

You know what, you're right. Schools should only take in people who only have great grades in undergrad. Forget people who did bad in undergrad and do well in graduate school, they did bad in the past so they shouldn't be allowed to turn their life around. You know what, forget the people who are going back into school as well. Old people shouldn't be allowed to redo college and get another try. Same with those going for a masters. Or those who even showed a positive trend for the last 2 years of college. Pharmacy school should only accept people with 3.75 cgpa.

You might as well just tell them to make a thread about how pharmacy is a dying field every day and to insert that joke in there. I am sure it will keep you entertained but for most people, repeated jokes get old.
Im not even mad about the joke. I just wanted a new one. Of course I knew the person who wrote it would be a bit hurt about my criticism but I didn't think there would be a cult following behind the joke.

maybe something along the lines of, "You should go to graduate school first and do very well there. Then think about blah blah blah..."
Just so you know, I remember there being a thread in the pre dental forums about someone having a 2.9 gpa but getting something close to a 4.0 doing a masters and then getting into dental school. You act like there are no options once you graduate with a bachelors.

Just wondering but do you guys think I am trying to tell OP he/she has a chance to get in with bad stats? Its like you guys never heard of someone turning their life around or something.

This sentiment right here is why the older generations make fun of us for being snowflakes and getting participation trophies. "Oh it's ok you didn't pass your Naplex Timmy, here's your license anyway! Go ahead and start dispensing those dangerous substances even though you couldn't be bothered to learn about them, everyone deserves a chance!"

I think there might be some misunderstanding. I do not see anyone was saying anything about one cannot redo college or turn life around.

The reality is that the OP does not need do any of that as his/her start is good enough to get in pharmacy schools these days.

Will I get into pharmacy school with these PCAT scores?

September 2018
Bio: 411 58
Chem: 394 46
Reading: 434 94
Math: 444 94
Composite: 421 83

November 2018
Bio: 422 75
Chem: 394 93
Reading: 426 88
Math: 426 82
Composite: 425 88

My GPA this year when I graduate will be around a 3.0.

Anyway, above is the OP's PCAT scores (taken September 2018 and November 2018). So it was 88 percentile. Just impossible for me to believe that he/she did not get in anywhere with the info and stat he/she provided.

Also, the OP has not even replied this read or his/her previous thread. His/her account is new and only 2 posts. Is he/she trolling?

Last edited:
Just because you say that something is your passion or calling does not mean that you will actually be chosen, or that it will be a good fit for you.

Around 15,000 students each year enroll in pharmacy school thinking that it's their passion but realistically there will be enough jobs for only about half of them each year. A great portion of them want to do residencies and work in unicorn clinical positions but the vast majority of them will end up in retail.

There are many fields out there that are hurting for more workers, i.e. software engineering, the trades, etc. There is no reason why more than 7,500 out of the 15,000 incoming students should be taking out $200k+ in loans to go to pharmacy school.

This sentiment right here is why the older generations make fun of us for being snowflakes and getting participation trophies. "Oh it's ok you didn't pass your Naplex Timmy, here's your license anyway! Go ahead and start dispensing those dangerous substances even though you couldn't be bothered to learn about them, everyone deserves a chance!"
Never said anything about getting in with bad stats. Its like you guys only want to read what you want to hear to make your points seem more valid. If you want to pretend you are illiterate just for the sake of arguing, be my guest. But if you want to actually tell me why its bad to tell OP, "Maybe your grades aren't good enough. You will have to work hard and go through blah blah blah...", then reply. Otherwise, stop acting like you were alive during a time where everyone was a genius.

This actually was the case for the most part 10-15 years ago when pharmacy schools accepted only top applicants since so many people wanted that near-guaranteed six figure income and signing bonus.

Today we're seeing double the number of students graduating from pharmacy schools each year. Schools have vastly dumbed down their standards of admission and will accept just about anyone who barely meets, or even does not even meet the requirements just so they can fill seats and collect the tuition money from students, hence the joke that they'll accept anyone who qualifes for $200k+ in student loans.

What's scarier than the rising number of new grads unemployed or underemployed is the astonishing large percentage from some schools that cannot even pass the NAPLEX, a minimal competency exam that nearly no one failed 10-15 years ago barring extenuating cirumstances.
Don't know what happened. It should have stayed this way to keep pharmacy alive. Even PCAT seems to be simple, no offense to anyone who struggled with it, and I do realize where the joke originates from. Who ever runs these schools are really shooting the foot of the future generation of pharmacy.
My only problem is all of the old people in here telling me how it was in the past and then trying to enforce those rules as if they run the pharmacy schools themselves. "Back in my day, it was like this. So no, OP can't get it. Don't tell them they have options."

Last edited:
Never said anything about getting in with bad stats. Its like you guys only want to read what you want to hear to make your points seem more valid. If you want to pretend you are illiterate just for the sake of arguing, be my guest. But if you want to actually tell me why its bad to tell OP, "Maybe your grades aren't good enough. You will have to work hard and go through blah blah blah...", then reply. Otherwise, stop acting like you were alive during a time where everyone was a genius.

Don't know what happened. It should have stayed this way to keep pharmacy alive. Even PCAT seems to be simple, no offense to anyone who struggled with it, and I do realize where the joke originates from. Who ever runs these schools are really shooting the foot of the future generation of pharmacy.
My only problem is all of the old people in here telling me how it was in the past and then trying to enforce those rules as if they run the pharmacy schools themselves. "Back in my day, it was like this. So no, OP can't get it. Don't tell them they have options."

I don't think those users meant any negative intent when posting the things they do. Should they stop? Perhaps, since this is nothing we have control over and it's only getting worse. I think what frustrates us the most (or me) is the fact that if an individual does poorly early on in their education (trying to major in something other than pharmacy), then they can just default to pharmacy as their choice of profession despite having worked a single day as a pharmacy clerk/technician and just because it pays well (for now). I'm all for people pursuing their careers and dreams (I mean we all have bills to pay and need to make a living) but at some point we have to uphold some sort of standard for ourselves in this profession (again, this is not something we can control). If the bar is so low now, why did I work so hard to maintain a good GPA/PCAT score in the past to even be considered remotely competitive versus my peers? I could've just easily gotten a 2.75-3.0 GPA and 30-50 PCAT with a blindfold and both hands tied behind my back and still be accepted to A pharmacy school somewhere today with the stories I've heard. Again, I don't mean any ill intent behind this posting but it's just unfortunate because you will never see other healthcare professions sink as low as pharmacy did, or rather they cannot afford to sink as low as we have already. Imagine if MD/DO/dental schools were like this...it would be chaos. Overall, I don't judge people because everyone has their own personal life problems that could've possibly affected their schooling and ultimately their GPA in some manner.

To the OP, try to research schools that have a cut-off GPA lower than yours and you should be solid. Your PCAT scores speak volume for itself in that you understand the materials well and are able to retain them. Best of luck to you and nail those future interviews!

I don't think those users meant any negative intent when posting the things they do. Should they stop? Perhaps, since this is nothing we have control over and it's only getting worse. I think what frustrates us the most (or me) is the fact that if an individual does poorly early on in their education (trying to major in something other than pharmacy), then they can just default to pharmacy as their choice of profession despite having worked a single day as a pharmacy clerk/technician and just because it pays well (for now). I'm all for people pursuing their careers and dreams (I mean we all have bills to pay and need to make a living) but at some point we have to uphold some sort of standard for ourselves in this profession (again, this is not something we can control). If the bar is so low now, why did I work so hard to maintain a good GPA/PCAT score in the past to even be considered remotely competitive versus my peers? I could've just easily gotten a 2.75-3.0 GPA and 30-50 PCAT with a blindfold and both hands tied behind my back and still be accepted to A pharmacy school somewhere today with the stories I've heard. Again, I don't mean any ill intent behind this posting but it's just unfortunate because you will never see other healthcare professions sink as low as pharmacy did, or rather they cannot afford to sink as low as we have already. Imagine if MD/DO/dental schools were like this...it would be chaos. Overall, I don't judge people because everyone has their own personal life problems that could've possibly affected their schooling and ultimately their GPA in some manner.

To the OP, try to research schools that have a cut-off GPA lower than yours and you should be solid. Your PCAT scores speak volume for itself in that you understand the materials well and are able to retain them. Best of luck to you and nail those future interviews!
I would understand if a person was trying from the very start and just ended up doing bad the whole time. That person needs to realize this isn't for them. But some people just choose a major, get through college with C's, and later when they are about to graduate or already have graduated and worked for a full year want to actually pursue something else. Some people get a second degree later on and get all A's but still end up with just about a 3.3cpga. Some people return years later and are put into intensive programs to pursue some graduate school such as that one dental school in texas. But you can't just tell someone who is trying to pursue something they never even started to just quit because they should have been perfect from the start. Of course they will have to be when given that chance.

I think there might be some misunderstanding. I do not see anyone was saying anything about one cannot redo college or turn life around.

The reality is that the OP does not need do any of that as his/her start is good enough to get in pharmacy schools these days.

Anyway, above is the OP's PCAT scores (taken September 2018 and November 2018). So it was 88 percentile. Just impossible for me to believe that he/she did not get in anywhere with the info and stat he/she provided.

Also, the OP has not even replied this read or his/her previous thread. His/her account is new and only 2 posts. Is he/she trolling?

I wasn't trolling, I was being quite serious actually. I never saw all the comments on this post until now. I wanted to post a follow up saying that I did get accepted into a few schools and needed help deciding which would be the best to attend.

For those of you wondering, I did get accepted to a few schools! I need help deciding on what school to go to this fall. The schools I have gotten into are

University of Saint Joseph
Duquesne University
Fairleigh Dickinson
SUNY Binghamton
Temple University
MCPHS Worcester

It would really help me if people could rank these schools in the order that they believe is best to attend

For those of you wondering, I did get accepted to a few schools! I need help deciding on what school to go to this fall. The schools I have gotten into are

University of Saint Joseph
Duquesne University
Fairleigh Dickinson
SUNY Binghamton
Temple University
MCPHS Worcester

It would really help me if people could rank these schools in the order that they believe is best to attend

whichever is the one that costs you the least imho. (as for reputation, I vote for Temple as it is much older and established).