GPA's, GRE's, XTRA's, ACCEPTANCES

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Major: Kinesiology and Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.37
Pre-Req GPA: 3.2-3.5 depending
GRE: 157 V, 162 Q, 4.0 A

Observation: 1200 outpatient (tech), 50 In-patient acute, 45in-patient subacute and 40 In-School

Extra-Curric/Volunteer: Social Sorority, President of a club that works with people with special needs, and help to run cancer research fundraisers

Applied: New York Medical College, ODU, VCU, Radford, Columbia, Touro-Manhattan, GW, Marymount, Emory, Elon, Boston, Pitt

Acceptances: New York Medical College, ODU, Radford, Columbia, Touro-Manhatan, GW

Waitlists: Marymount

Rejections: Boston

Interviews: New York Medical College, Radford, Columbia, GW, Marymount, Emory, Elon (declined)

There is hope for people with a lower GPA :)

Congrats on the acceptances! Colombia is my dream school! Do you have any advice on how and what to do well on to counter a low cGPA?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

UPDATE:

University: Cal Poly Pomona
Major: Kinesiology focus in Clinical Health Science
Overall GPA: 3.15
Pre-Req GPA: 3.31
GRE: V 155 Q 149 AW 3.5

Observation Hours: 200 hrs private outpatient clinic, currently working on completing 100 hrs at a hospital outpatient clinic.

Applied: APU, EWU, University of Washington, University of Vermont, UNE, UNLV, Western, UCSF, Chapman, CSUN, CSULB, WVU, Pacific University.

Interviews: APU

Waitlist: Chapman

Acceptances: APU

Rejections: WVU, UNLV, UCSF, CSUN, CSULB

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
University: SUNY
Major: Exercise Science
Overall GPA: 3.12
Pre-Req GPA: 3.47
GRE: 150V, 154Q, 3.5 AW

Extra: Student Athlete
Volunteer: 45 Sports Med, 72 Acute Hospital, 140 OP
Acceptances: Neumann University, NYU (1/23)
Rejections: Marymount U, NYIT, SUNY Downstate
Interviews: Neumann, Marshall U, CSP, NYU

Hofstra University

Overall GPA: 3.32
Pre-Req GPA: 3.48
GRE: 143V, 147 Q
Extra Curricular: Softball, Volleyball, NYRR, QSS, and observational settings

Volunteered: 600 plus hours
Rejections: NYU, Temple, NYIT, Hunter, Stony Brook, Dominican College, NYMC, Stockton, Rutgers South and North campuses, A.T. Still applied late, Utica College, and University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
Acceptance: Kean University, D'Youville University
Interviews: Hunter, NYIT, Kean, D'Youville no interview, Dominican college video interview
Waitlist: Sacred Heart University pending, Mercy called for interview and I rejected.
Still waiting on Sage, Touro, LIU BK, Nazareth College of Rochester, Seton Hall.

Last edited:
UPDATE:

Undergrad:
UNC Chapel Hill (Class of 2016)

Major: Biology

Minor: Chemistry

Overall GPA: 3.756

Pre-req GPA: 3.74 (varies for each school)

GRE: V-157, Q-156, W-4.5

Extra-Curric: Red Cross Club, Autism Speaks president, Camp Counselor, Direct Support Professional for individuals with autism and CP, Persever8 intern, Undergraduate research on return to duty readiness in service members who have sustained an mTBI, PRe PT/OT Club, Pediatric Playroom volunteer at UNC Hospital, TA for "The Human Body" course at Duke TIP

Gap year job: Fellow at Camp Royall (through the Autism Society of NC)

Volunteer: Outpatient Ortho (650), Pediatrics (30), Geriatrics (30)

Applied: UNC Chapel Hill, WCU, Duke, Emory, Radford, ODU, USC, MUSC, UF, UMB

Interviews: UMB (10/12) Radford (11/17), WCU (12/10), Emory (1/13), UNC (1/21)

Waitlisted: none yet

Acceptances: Radford (12/1), WCU (12/15), ODU (12/21), USC Columbia (1/11), UMB (1/18), Emory (1/24)

Rejections: none yet

Attending: ???? I have already put a deposit down for USC. The deposit for Emory is due the 7th. UNC is my top choice, and I should hear back the same week the Emory deposit is due. Ahhh so exciting but stressful

UPDATE:

Major:
Kinesiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham
Minor: Spanish
Overall GPA: 3.76
Pre-req: 3.6-4.0 (depending on the school)
GRE: 301 Writing: 3.0
Observation Hours: 70 outpatient, 30 inpatient
Extracurriculars: Kinesiology Honors Program, President of Spanish and Latino Student Association, Interpreter/Translator at an Optometry Clinic, Intramural Sports, Pre-PT Society, AED Honor Society, Kinesiology Student Association, Hispanic Scholarship Fund Scholar,

Applied/Plan to apply: Emory, Alabama State, University of South Alabama
Interviews: USA (declined)
Acceptances: Emory!!
Rejections: N/A

Reactions: 1 users
Update

Major
: Clinical Physiology
Minor: Biology
Overall GPA: 3.86
Pre-Req GPA: 3.85
GRE:
-First attempt: 146V, 142Q, 5AW
-Second attempt: 149V, 144Q, 4.5AW
Extra-Curricular: Working for 3+ years at Costco

Observation Hours:
50 hours outpatient, 400+ hours inpatient

Applied:
CSULB, CSUN, Chapman, Pacific University, University of Puget Sound, University of the Pacific, University of Washington, West Coast University

Accepted:
n/a

Waitlisted:
CSULB (high-tier) on 1/18, Chapman (1/20)

Denied: CSUN (wrong physics class) on 1/13

Interviews:
West Coast University on 1/27, University of the Pacific (2/3), Pacific University (2/11)

Last edited:
Major: Biology pre med
Overall GPA: 3.73
Pre-Req GPA: 3.72
GRE:
146V, 152Q, 4AW
Extra-Curricular: A&P tutor, 4 honor societies, volunteer work, intramural sports

Observation Hours: 120 outpatient, 32 inpatient

Applied:
Chapman, Thomas Jefferson, Temple, Scranton, Northeastern, MGH, Rutgers south, seton hall, LIU, Lynchburg, Sacred Heart, Arcadia

Accepted: Rutgers south

Waitlisted:
Chapman, Thomas Jefferson, Scranton, temple, MGH

Denied: N/A

Interviews: Thomas Jefferson, Rutgers south, temple university, sacred heart (declined), Kean (declined)

Last edited:
Congrats on the acceptances! Colombia is my dream school! Do you have any advice on how and what to do well on to counter a low cGPA?

I would say for Columbia specifically they are much more into people who will lead and change the field, and love physical therapy than just good grades alone so you need to show drive and passion in extra curriculars as well as have shadowed a lot in a lot of different Physical therapy questions. This also comes through in all of the essays. PM me if you have any other questions :). Good luck!

UPDATE:

Major:
Kinesiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham
Minor: Spanish
Overall GPA: 3.76
Pre-req: 3.6-4.0 (depending on the school)
GRE: 301 Writing: 3.0
Observation Hours: 70 outpatient, 30 inpatient
Extracurriculars: Kinesiology Honors Program, President of Spanish and Latino Student Association, Interpreter/Translator at an Optometry Clinic, Intramural Sports, Pre-PT Society, AED Honor Society, Kinesiology Student Association, Hispanic Scholarship Fund Scholar,

Applied/Plan to apply: Emory, Alabama State, University of South Alabama
Interviews: USA (declined)
Acceptances: Emory!!
Rejections: N/A
Great job!!!!! You had a 3.0 on your AW?

Members don't see this ad :)
You really, really, REALLY need to spend your time/resources to increasing your GRE score. You have to shoot for a minimum of 150V/150Q/4AW on the GRE (aka total score of 300+) to be even considered to PT schools (there are actually a few studies that show a correlation between the verbal GRE score and how well students fare in a DPT program). Other than that, you already took so many classes, so there is not much you can do GPA-wise except to retake the pre-req courses you got lower than a B- in (which it looks like you are doing/did). I might sound stern to you, but getting into PT school is getting more competitive every single year, and not doing well on the GRE 3 times would be a concern if I was on an admissions committee. I have some GRE materials you can use to study (send me a PM), but you need to have more adequate numbers to get your foot on the door to DPT programs. I wish you well as a fellow UIC student, and lets see what Concordia says.

@KBPT I really think this response has a lot of good advice that should be sought out. My advice, looking at the schools you have applied to, would be to shoot for schools with lower average GPAs. At least as a back up if all else fails. I am a current student at UW - La Crosse and didn't even think to apply here because the average GPA accepted is around a 3.8 (the lowest they have ever accepted was a 3.3).. I also looked into UW - Milwaukee but from last year they nearly accepted their whole class from early decision, then had about 15 seats to fill from over 600 applicants in regular admissions pools, I tossed out that option once I saw that.

Also, making sure to apply early if you are applying to those with rolling admissions (U of M).

Best of luck -- keep us updated

UPDATE
Non-trad student, low GPA, 2nd career, 2nd round, reapplying

Major:
Political Science, Seven Sisters
Minor: none
Overall GPA: 3.01/3.039 after academic update
Pre-req: 3.01/ 3.36 after academic update (according to PTCAS)
GRE: 312 Writing: 4.0
Observation Hours: 160 outpatient, 40 inpatient
Extracurriculars: 10 years of work in nonprofits and allied healthcare

Applied/Plan to apply: (R) reapplying
Drexel University
Kean University
MGH Institute of Health Professions (R)
New York Institute of Technology
University of Rhode Island
University of Vermont
Stockton University
Temple University
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (R)
Arcadia University (R)
Franklin Pierce University, Manchester Campus (R)
MCPHS University (R)
Mercy College (R)
New York Medical College (R)
Seton Hall University (R)
Stony Brook University (ended up not re-applying but this is a good school for low GPA)
Thomas Jefferson University (R)
University of New England (R)
Widener University (R)

Interviews: N/A
Acceptances: 1/27
Rejections: NYIT 11/16, Stockton,URI, University of Vermont, Umass Lowell, Franklin Pierce 11/12, Temple 1/23, Kean 2/8
Waitlist: MGH IHP 1/9

Last application cycle I had NO acceptances and I was waitlisted at MCPHSU

Last edited:
Major: Psychology
cGPA: 3.98
Pre-req GPA: 4.0

GRE: 151V 155Q 4.0W

Observation: 120 total hours
(8 pediatrics, 16 nursing home, 16 ortho/sports, 80 aquatic/ortho/peds)

XTRA's: President Red Cross Club, President Resident Student Council, Vice President Health & Rehabilitation Science Club, Community Assistant (same as an RA), Biology Tutor, Captain of DIII Men's Cross Country Team, sat on Board of Directors for my local American Red Cross Region, 100 hours of community service between Red Cross and local food bank

Work experience: Direct Support Professional(took care of adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities), other oddball jobs

Applied: University of Pittsburgh, Chatham University, Thomas Jefferson University, Husson University

Interviews: Chatham(nov.), TJU(oct.)

Accepted: Pitt, Chatham, TJU, Husson

I will be attending Pitt and have recently declined my other admission offers!

Major: Kinesiology
Overall PTCAS GPA:
Pre-Req GPA: 3.17

GRE: 153V, 154Q, 5.0W

Letters of Rec: 1 PT, 2 Professors, 1 MD from medical mission

Extra-Curric: Special Olympics, surf camp for kids with disabilities, medical mission in Asia, student ambassador
Observation hours: ~1800 outpatient PT aide, 45 inpatient, 100 wellness facility

Applied: CSU Long Beach, CSU Northridge, USC, Washington University, Columbia University,Northwestern University, San Diego State, University of Colorado, University of the Pacific, Pacific University, Georgia State, Chapman, University of Washington, University of Colorado, Samuel Merritt University, UCSF/SFSU, Western University

Interviews: Columbia University (11/18), Georgia State University (11/29--declined), UCSF/SFSU (1/27)

Acceptances: Columbia University (11/21), USC (11/29)

Rejects:
Washington University (didn't meet the science GPA requirement), Northwestern University (11/21), University of Colorado (12/13)

Submitted PTCAS 8/12
Verified PTCAS 8/30

Congrats on your acceptances! What was your overall gpa if you don't mind me asking?

Update - getting worried :(

University: Clemson University
Major: Biological Sciences
Overall GPA: 3.78
Pre-Req GPA: 3.5
GRE: 155 V; 160 Q; 3.5 A

Extra-Curric: Volunteer with a program for kids and adults with special needs, volunteer in the children's department at my church, lead high school girls Bible study, various mission trips, volunteer at local homeless shelter

Volunteer: 150+ hours in various outpatient settings - ortho, lymphedema, oncology, sports, etc.

Applied: Belmont University, University of South Carolina, Medical University of South Carolina, Temple University

Acceptances: none

Rejections: none

Interviews: Belmont (11/18)

Waitlisted: Temple, Belmont (11/28 - they only had 6 spots left b/c they filled the other 42 spots w/ ED)

Still waiting on: University of South Carolina, MUSC

Last edited:
Major: Neuroscience (December 2011)
cGPA: 3.47 pGPA: 3.56
GRE: 166V, 164Q, 4.0AW

Observation hours
: ~2600 outpatient ortho as a tech in 2 clinics, 20 SNF

Extracurriculars
: Spent a few years at a research institute, co-authored a research paper in Nature

Applied: Chapman, Nova SE, RMUoHP, UNLV, U of Vermont, Emory and Henry, Franklin Pierce (both campuses), University of Puget Sound, UW, George Fox (I took the shotgun approach in applying to schools)

Interviews: RMUoHP 1/13, George Fox 2/3, Emory and Henry (declined)

Acceptances: Chapman (accepted Fall seat), Nova SE (declined), Franklin Pierce (AZ and NH, declined), U of V (will decline)

Rejections: None officially, but I'm assuming UNLV since I didn't get an interview...

Update - getting worried :(

University: Clemson University
Major: Biological Sciences
Overall GPA: 3.78
Pre-Req GPA: 3.5
GRE: 155 V; 160 Q; 3.5 A

Extra-Curric: Volunteer with a program for kids and adults with special needs, volunteer in the children's department at my church, lead high school girls Bible study, various mission trips, volunteer at local homeless shelter

Volunteer: 150+ hours in various outpatient settings - ortho, lymphedema, oncology, sports, etc.

Applied: Belmont University, University of South Carolina, Medical University of South Carolina, Temple University

Acceptances: none

Interviews: Belmont (11/18)

Waitlisted: Temple, Belmont (11/28 - they only had 6 spots left b/c they filled the other 42 spots w/ ED)

Still waiting on: University of South Carolina, MUSC

When are you supposed to hear from your 2 in-state schools? Have you tried contacting those schools? I could see how a lack of inpatient observation (I presume) and your AW score would have impacted your chances at your 2 waitlisted schools, but I would try to stay optimistic. I was in your shoes a month ago, and after initially receiving 2 rejections, I received an acceptance to my state school (UIC), which coincidentally was my #1 choice. Don't give up hope!

Last edited:
When are you supposed to hear from your 2 in-state schools? Have you tried contacting those schools? I could see how a lack of inpatient observation (I presume) and your AW score would have impacted your chances at your 2 waitlisted schools, but I would try to stay optimistic. I was in your shoes a month ago, and after initially receiving 2 rejections, I received an acceptance to my state school (UIC), which coincidentally was my #1 choice. Don't give up hope!

Yeah I did really well on one of the essays and completely blanked on the other, so that's why my AW score was so low. And inpatient was so hard to get into around where I live. Most places completely stopped taking applications because there were too many people shadowing and too many people applying. Apparently USC has filled up their class as of recently. MUSC is probably the best school I applied to (they don't start giving acceptances until March) so I doubt I'll get in there if I got waitlisted everywhere else. I feel like I also made the mistake of not applying to enough schools in general and not applying to some smaller schools. I've seen a lot of people with worse stats than me getting accepted into smaller programs. But if it doesn't work out this time around, I'll use this next year to build up my application and maybe retake the GRE. Thanks for the encouragement!

UPDATE

University: Old Dominion
Overall GPA: 3.56
Pre-Req GPA: 3.44
GRE: 152 V, 152 Q, 4.5 A

Observation: 80 outpatient (two separate locations), 20 pediatrics

Extra-Curric/Volunteer: Delta Zeta - Theta Phi Sorority, Alpha Phi Omega - service fraternity, National Society of Leadership and Success

Applied: UNC - Chapel Hill, Drexel, Pitt, Widener, ODU, VCU, Duke, University of South Carolina, MUSC

Acceptances: Widener (1/13)

Waitlists: Drexel (1/5), MUSC (1/27)

Rejections: UNC - Chapel Hill (12/7)

Interviews: Drexel (12/9), Widener (1/12)

Update - Acceptance

University:
University of California, Irvine (Bachelor's) - Local CC (Pre-reqs)
Major: Criminology, Law and Society
Overall GPA: 3.65
Pre-Req GPA: 3.75 (PTCAS Pre-Req) 4.00 (Post-bac/retakes)
GRE: 165V 160Q 5.5AW

Hours: 74 inpatient hospital, 54 skilled nursing, 32 outpatient orthopedic

Submitted 8/16, verified 8/23

Applied: CSU Long Beach, Marshall University, Missouri State University, Northern Arizona University, University of Montana - Missoula, University of South Carolina, Medical University of South Carolina

Interviews: Missouri State University (9/17), Marshall University (1/13, phone, declined), University of Montana - Missoula (2/11, declined)

Acceptances: University of South Carolina (12/7), CSU Long Beach (1/17, declined), MUSC (1/27/17)

Waitlist: Missouri State University (Alternate, 1/26/17)

Rejections: NAU (12/13)

Heard from everybody, will probably be going to USC.

University: UNC-Chapel Hill (C/o 2017)
Major: Exercise and Sport Science
Overall GPA: 3.2
Pre-req: 3.18
GRE:
156V, 153Q
Hours: 80-inpatient, 45-outpatient

Applied: USC, MUSC, VCU, ODU, Temple, Stony Brook, Georgia State, High Point, Hampton, Elon, Pitt, Winston Salem State
Interviews: Georgia State (12/1), High Point (1/11) (Declined), Elon (1/30)
Accepted: Georgia State, MUSC
Rejections: USC, Temple, Stony Brook

University: UConn
Major: Allied Health Science
Overall PTCAS GPA: 3.2
Prereq PTCAS GPA: 3.44
GRE: October/2015 V: 144 Q: 140 A: 3.5
August/2016 V: 151 Q: 146 A: 4.0
Hours: 1600- outpatient, 50- inpatient, 50 in a school setting
Applied: WesternU, NYMC, AIC, Thomas Jefferson, Emory, HamptonU, MaryBaldwin, U of St. Augustine
Interviews: WesternU (1-17-17)
Accepted: WesternU
Rejected: NYMC, Thomas Jefferson, Emory

UPDATE:

Undergrad:
UNC Chapel Hill (Class of 2016)

Major: Biology

Minor: Chemistry

Overall GPA: 3.756

Pre-req GPA: 3.74 (varies for each school)

GRE: V-157, Q-156, W-4.5

Extra-Curric: Red Cross Club, Autism Speaks president, Camp Counselor, Direct Support Professional for individuals with autism and CP, Persever8 intern, Undergraduate research on return to duty readiness in service members who have sustained an mTBI, PRe PT/OT Club, Pediatric Playroom volunteer at UNC Hospital, TA for "The Human Body" course at Duke TIP

Gap year job: Fellow at Camp Royall (through the Autism Society of NC)

Volunteer: Outpatient Ortho (650), Pediatrics (30), Geriatrics (30)

Applied: UNC Chapel Hill, WCU, Duke, Emory, Radford, ODU, USC, MUSC, UF, UMB

Interviews: UMB (10/12) Radford (11/17), WCU (12/10), Emory (1/13), UNC (1/21)

Waitlisted: none yet

Acceptances: Radford (12/1), WCU (12/15), ODU (12/21), USC Columbia (1/11), UMB (1/18), Emory (1/24), UNC (1/27)

Rejections: none yet

Attending: UNC CHAPEL HILL!!!!! :)

Undergrad: College of Charleston (Exercise Science)

Overall GPA: 3.93
Pre-req GPA: 3.87

GRE: 156 V, 150 Q, 4 AW

PT Hours: 200+ outpatient

Applied: University of Tennessee Chattanooga, University of South Carolina, MUSC, Nova Southeastern, Armstrong State

Acceptances: Nova

Waitlisted: UTC, USC, MUSC

Getting super discouraged that I got waitlisted at both of my in-state schools. Hopefully I get in by the end of March or I'm going to have to go to Nova.

University: UConn
Major: Allied Health Science
Overall PTCAS GPA: 3.2
Prereq PTCAS GPA: 3.44
GRE: October/2015 V: 144 Q: 140 A: 3.5
August/2016 V: 151 Q: 146 A: 4.0
Hours: 1600- outpatient, 50- inpatient, 50 in a school setting
Applied: WesternU, NYMC, AIC, Thomas Jefferson, Emory, HamptonU, MaryBaldwin, U of St. Augustine
Interviews: WesternU (1-17-17)
Accepted: WesternU
Rejected: NYMC, Thomas Jefferson, Emory
@WILLPT17 any reason you didn't apply to UConn for their DPT program?

Update.... meh.

University:
Ball State University
Overall PTCAS GPA: 3.22 (lot of retaken courses)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.4-3.5 (depending on school)

GRE: 152V, 155Q, 3.5 AW

Letters of Rec: 2 PTs and an Exercise Science Professor

Extra-Curric: Rehab Aide @ inpatient hospital, Full-Time Patient Transporter, Personal Trainer/Wellness Staff at YMCA, CPR certified

Observation hours: 65 hours in outpatient clinic, 35 at Acute Care Hospital, 50 hrs at Rehabilitation Hospital (where I work as transporter and aide) Plus on going hours through work.

Applied: Trine University (Non PTCAS) Indiana State University, Mount St. Joseph University, Walsh University, Marshall University, Rockhurst University, Southwest Baptist University, Bellarmine University

Interviews: Indiana State (12-2-16), Trine (Declined), Mount St. Joseph (1-13-17), Marshall (1-4-17), Rockhurst (12-3-16 and 2nd interview via skype 2-11-17), Bellarmine (Declined), Walsh (1-27-17)

Acceptances: Southwest Baptist (10-21)

Waitlists: Indiana State, Marshall

Rejects: Mount St. Joseph

Submitted PTCAS 9/22
Verified PTCAS 9/28

I'm really hoping to get into Indiana State, Marshall, or Walsh at this point. If I do I have a feeling its going to be right before classes start lol.

Major: Health Sciences
Overall GPA: 3.20
Pre-req GPA: 3.53
Gre: 148V/156Q/3.5

Submitted: 8/16/15 (ED), 9/25/15

Observation: 100 total hours (40 hours in a private practice, 60 hours at a rehabilitation center in hospital)

Extra-curricular: NSCA Certified Personal Trainer, CPR/AED certification

Applied: VCU (ED - denied; put in with regular admissions), Shenandoah, Marymount, UMD-Baltimore, ODU, Lynchburg

Acceptances:

Waitlisted: Lynchburg

Rejections: Shenandoah, UMD-Baltimore

Interviews: Marymount (1/30)

@optimism44 - is this from 2015? Marymount is doing another interview day on 1/30?b

University: St. Francis College/ Pre reqs at CC
Major: Communications
Overall PTCAS GPA: 3.48
Pre-Req GPA: 3.4-3.5 (depending on school)

GRE: 150V, 152Q, 4.5 AW

Letters of Rec: 3 PTs and Chem professor

Extra-Curric: Office Manager/ PT aide at outpatient PT practice over 10 years

Observation hours: 65 inpatient setting, over 10 years worth outpatient

Applied: 2nd round of applications: Mercy College, Dominican College, LIU, Touro-Manhattan Campus, CSI

Interviews: Mercy College 12/7/16

Acceptances: Touro College- Manhattan 1/26/17

Waitlists: None

Rejects: None

Submitted PTCAS 9/9
Verified PTCAS 9/17

I followed these boards the past year and I am a second year applicant. I was the first alternate on a waitlist to be told day of classes I did not make it. I was given the schedule, forms, and syllabi. It was hell. I took a GRE prep class and retook the GRE and got a lot farther this year. Don't get upset, just keep trying!

Reactions: 4 users
UPDATE - with final school decision!

Major: Exercise & Sport Science
GPA: 3.62
Prereq-GPA: 3.32 (PTCAS)
GRE: 149 V, 154 Q, 5.0 W
Observation Hours: 140 Inpatient, 40 Outpatient Postural, 4 Sports Medicine
Extracurricular: Research Participant (2 studies), Research Assistant (30 hours), Volunteer Inpatient Hospital (100 hours) Relay for Life, Habitat for Humanity Volunteer, EPA Honor Society club member, Pre-PT club member, Intramurals (7 teams), Community Garden Volunteer, Salvation Army Volunteer, St. Baldrick's Volunteer, Feed My Starving Children Volunteer
Certifications: First Aid/CPR, AED

Applied: UNC - Chapel Hill (10/02), Nova SE - Ft. Lauderdale (10/05), University of Rhode Island (10/05), Western Kentucky University (10/19), Regis University (10/27), MUSC (11/15)

Interviews: Western Kentucky University (2/10 - declined)

Waitlisted: Regis University, MUSC

Acceptances: Nova SE - Ft. Lauderdale (12/09) - attending!

Rejections: UNC - Chapel Hill (12/07)

Last edited:
University: University of Florida
Major: Applied Physiology and Kinesiology
Undergrad GPA: 3.26
Post Baccalaureate GPA: 4.0
Prereq GPA: 3.38 (PTCAS)
GRE: 153 V, 159 Q, 4.0 W (I took the GRE 3 times)

Observation Hours: 28 inpatient, 106 outpatient (neuro/ortho), 240 outpatient/wellness/prevention (ortho/sports)

Applied: FIU (9/12), UCF (9/12), NOVA Ft. Lauderdale (9/12), UF (9/12), UNF (10/08)

Interviews: FIU (1/24), UCF (1/27), UNF (2/11)

Waitlisted: none

Acceptances: NOVA (12/09), FIU (1/31)

Submitted PTCAS: 9/12/2016
Verified PTCAS: 9/17/2016

Major: Kinesiology and Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.37
Pre-Req GPA: 3.2-3.5 depending
GRE: 157 V, 162 Q, 4.0 A

Observation: 1200 outpatient (tech), 50 In-patient acute, 45in-patient subacute and 40 In-School

Extra-Curric/Volunteer: Social Sorority, President of a club that works with people with special needs, and help to run cancer research fundraisers

Applied: New York Medical College, ODU, VCU, Radford, Columbia, Touro-Manhattan, GW, Marymount, Emory, Elon, Boston, Pitt

Acceptances: New York Medical College, ODU, Radford, Columbia, Touro-Manhatan, GW

Waitlists: Marymount

Rejections: Boston

Interviews: New York Medical College, Radford, Columbia, GW, Marymount, Emory, Elon (declined)

There is hope for people with a lower GPA :)

Hi, do you mind me asking if you have heard from Pitt yet. Also, did you or are you planning on putting a deposit for ODU? What are your top schools right now?
Thanks!

GPA: 3.50
Pre Req GPA:3.25-3.35
GRE: 159V 156Q 4.0W
Extra Curricular: D3 X/C and Track captain. PSI CHI Member, International Missions
Observation Hours: 70

Applied: Temple, Drexel, Arcadia, Widener, Chatham, Georgia State, Mercer, Chapman

Interviews: Chatham, GSU, Mercer, Widener

Accepted: Arcadia!!

Waitlisted: Chatham, GSU, Chapman

Rejections: Temple, Drexel

GPA: 3.50
Pre Req GPA:3.25-3.35
GRE: 159V 156Q 4.0W
Extra Curricular: D3 X/C and Track captain. PSI CHI Member, International Missions
Observation Hours: 70

Applied: Temple, Drexel, Arcadia, Widener, Chatham, Georgia State, Mercer, Chapman

Interviews: Chatham, GSU, Mercer, Widener

Accepted: Arcadia!!

Waitlisted: Chatham, GSU, Chapman

Rejections: Temple, Drexel

Congrats! When did you hear back from arcadia?!

University - CSUN
Major: Kinesiology - Exercise Science
GPA: 3.55 (3.70 on my CSUN final transcripts)
Pre Req GPA: 3.93
GRE: V-159 Q-158 W-4.0
Observation Hours: 205 inpatient

Applied: Azusa Pacific, Chapman, Loma Linda, CSUN, U of St. Augustine - San Marcos, Mt. St. Mary's, Samuel Merritt, USC, UOP, Western

Interviews: Azusa Pacific, Loma Linda, USA (declined), UOP (declined today), Western (declined)

Accepted: Azusa Pacific, CSUN (my TOP TOP TOP choice for years!!!)

Waitlisted: CSUN - #4, Samuel Merritt, Chapman

Rejections: Loma Linda

Last edited:
Has anyone heard back from WesternU that had an interview the 18th of this month??

Major: Biology, Kinesiology (Graduated in May 2016, currently taking a year off and working as a tech)
GPA: 3.74
Pre Req GPA: 3.54
GRE: 154V 152Q 3.5W
Extra Curricular: Research assistant in a neuroscience lab on campus for 2 years, peer mentor in a learning community for STEM students, worked at a local hospital as a tech, student ambassador for college, TA for bio 1 and 2 labs, Volunteer experience through sorority, free lunch programs, Appalachia Service Project (building homes for impoverished families), Women's shelter etc.
Observation Hours: 125: 70 outpatient general, 20 inpatient, 30 outpatient women's health therapy, 5 outpatient lymphedema therapy. Currently working as a tech in a pediatric rehab center
Letters of Recommendation: 3 good letters from my biochem prof, my PI from the research lab I worked in, and a women's health PT
Certifications: Basic Life Support/CPR, AED
Honors: Dean's List, graduated Magna cum Laude, scholarship awards from undergrad etc.

Applied: Creighton University, Des Moines University, University of Indianapolis, University of Iowa, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Washington University in St. Louis, Northwestern University, University of Kansas Medical Center

Interviews: Des Moines University (9/9), Creighton University (declined), University of Indianapolis (declined), University of Iowa (declined)

Accepted: Des Moines University (9/23), Northwestern University (10/3), Washington University in St. Louis (10/11)

Waitlisted: University of Kansas Medical Center

Rejections: University of Wisconsin-Madison

Attending: Washington University in St. Louis!! :D

I would highly recommend taking a year off if that's something you would be interested in doing. I've made money, and had time to travel, be a person etc. I would also recommend not wasting your money in applying to out of state public schools because it's very competitive for out of state students, and chances are you won't get in anyway.
I am so so sooooo excited for the fall and my move to St. Louis. Applying was stressful, but very much worth it in the end. Good luck to everyone, I wish you guys the best!!

UPDATE

Undergrad:
Santa Clara University
Major: Chemistry (BA) and Biology (BS)
cGPA: 3.47
PTCAS pGPA: 3.58 (~3.7 for schools that take o-chem)
Last 60 GPA: ~3.8
GRE: 168Q, 161V, 4.0AW
Hours: 53 inpatient, 104 outpatient (public hospital), 65 neuro, 40 outpatient (private clinic)
Letters of Rec: 2 PT's, 1 professor in major (also my PI for research), 1 employer (tutoring center on campus)
Extracurriculars/work: undergraduate research in chemistry, ultimate frisbee, chemistry club events/preview day speaker, pre-physical therapy club founder and former president, cooked breakfast at a homeless shelter a few times, tutor in several subjects and SAT/ACT math and science, general/organic chemistry TA, respite care worker
Other: a few awards and scholarships including a summer research scholarship
E-submitted: 8-7-16
Verified: 8-9-16

Applied: CSU Fresno, CSU Long Beach, CSU Northridge (top choice), UCSF/SFSU, Chapman, Western, NAU, Regis, University of Colorado, UIC, UNLV (top choice)

Accepted: UIC (12-15-16, declined), UNLV!!!! (1-30-17)

Waitlisted: CSU Northridge (1-31-17, #48), CSU Long Beach (1-18-17, high tier), Western (1-20-17, declined), Chapman (1-20-17, declined)

Rejected: NAU (12-13-16), UCSF (1-31-17)

Interviews: Western University of Health Sciences (1-11-17), University of Colorado (declined), Cal State Fresno (declined), UNLV (1-20-17), Regis (declined), UCSF (1-27-17)

Sending in my deposit for UNLV!!

Major: Biology, Kinesiology (Graduated in May 2016, currently taking a year off and working as a tech)
GPA: 3.74
Pre Req GPA: 3.54
GRE: 154V 152Q 3.5W
Extra Curricular: Research assistant in a neuroscience lab on campus for 2 years, peer mentor in a learning community for STEM students, worked at a local hospital as a tech, student ambassador for college, TA for bio 1 and 2 labs, Volunteer experience through sorority, free lunch programs, Appalachia Service Project (building homes for impoverished families), Women's shelter etc.
Observation Hours: 125: 70 outpatient general, 20 inpatient, 30 outpatient women's health therapy, 5 outpatient lymphedema therapy. Currently working as a tech in a pediatric rehab center
Letters of Recommendation: 3 good letters from my biochem prof, my PI from the research lab I worked in, and a women's health PT
Certifications: Basic Life Support/CPR, AED
Honors: Dean's List, graduated Magna cum Laude, scholarship awards from undergrad etc.

Applied: Creighton University, Des Moines University, University of Indianapolis, University of Iowa, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Washington University in St. Louis, Northwestern University, University of Kansas Medical Center

Interviews: Des Moines University (9/9), Creighton University (declined), University of Indianapolis (declined), University of Iowa (declined)

Accepted: Des Moines University (9/23), Northwestern University (10/3), Washington University in St. Louis (10/11)

Waitlisted: University of Kansas Medical Center

Rejections: University of Wisconsin-Madison

Attending: Washington University in St. Louis!! :D

I would highly recommend taking a year off if that's something you would be interested in doing. I've made money, and had time to travel, be a person etc. I would also recommend not wasting your money in applying to out of state public schools because it's very competitive for out of state students, and chances are you won't get in anyway.
I am so so sooooo excited for the fall and my move to St. Louis. Applying was stressful, but very much worth it in the end. Good luck to everyone, I wish you guys the best!!
What would you say the chances are for getting into out of state public schools? I figured a lot of schools would like having students pay for out of state tuition it's more for them?

Congrats on getting in to UNLV! They're my top school for when I apply this upcoming application year! As of now, we have fairly similar stats. What was the interview like if you don't mind me asking? Any advice for anything to do to stand out, specifically for UNLV? If they said anything that was more or less important them in terms of what they look for in applications?? I appreciate any advice you can give me! Thanks, and congratulations again
Interview was super laid back, ~30 mins with a faculty member and an alumni. They didn't explicitly say if anything mattered more or less, but the school is big on research. I scheduled a tour with Keoni a while back and he gave me some tips and insight as to how he thought my application would fare, so I definitely recommend that. Honestly, there isn't much you can do that hasn't been mentioned a million times on this website, especially the frequently asked questions sticky thread. Just type UNLV in the search bar and comb through the threads

Congrats on getting in to UNLV! They're my top school for when I apply this upcoming application year! As of now, we have fairly similar stats. What was the interview like if you don't mind me asking? Any advice for anything to do to stand out, specifically for UNLV? If they said anything that was more or less important them in terms of what they look for in applications?? I appreciate any advice you can give me! Thanks, and congratulations again

Interview was super laid back, ~30 mins with a faculty member and an alumni. They didn't explicitly say if anything mattered more or less, but the school is big on research. I scheduled a tour with Keoni a while back and he gave me some tips and insight as to how he thought my application would fare, so I definitely recommend that. Honestly, there isn't much you can do that hasn't been mentioned a million times on this website, especially the frequently asked questions sticky thread. Just type UNLV in the search bar and comb through the threads

I would like to shed some light onto this. I have maybe similar stats but a very different outcome- I was waitlisted in the 40s-50s. I think that the interview is a huge part of admissions in this school, and I think I did not do to well. No matter how much I practiced, I choke when it comes to talking on the spot about myself. So take that into consideration. Also, I think a variety of shadowing, so you could get a good sense of the field, should help you in your interviews. DGT does have a lot more going on in his/her extracurriculars, so maybe that is also a factor. Congrats DGT!

Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA: 3.7
Pre-Req GPA: 3.7ish
GRE: 158 V, 165 Q, 4.5W

Extra-Curric: Special Olympics volunteer

Volunteer: 520 hours outpatient (3 different clinics); 50 inpatient. Now working at outpatient clinic as a PT aide.

Edit: also, I think the interview was like other interviews - the same type of questions, but they were worded differently. I think that it was deceptively laid-back.

Last edited:
I would also recommend not wasting your money in applying to out of state public schools because it's very competitive for out of state students, and chances are you won't get in anyway.

What would you say the chances are for getting into out of state public schools? I figured a lot of schools would like having students pay for out of state tuition it's more for them?

I really don't like that advice. I really doubt that out-of-state students are any different than in-state students when it comes to applications. I applied to CSUN and did way better on the waitlist than I expected. If you are competitive with their averages, APPLY.

I would do your research on the PTCAS website regarding the percentage of in-state/OOS students accepted/matriculated. The school that I will be attending, UIC, actually had more OOS applicants matriculated into the program than in-state applicants according to PTCAS. In contrast, right nearby in Indiana, the majority of students matriculated as in-state students. Like the person above said, it doesn't hurt to apply to schools that you feel that you have a chance in. When I interviewed at University of Nebraska Medical Center a month and a half ago, the director said that they give slight preferences to Nebraska residents for the interviews, but he also said that all of the OOS students that were in my group were granted an interview because we had better qualifications than the in-state students. Anything is possible! (buutt as someone from the midwest, I would hesitate applying to west coast schools haha)

Last edited: