GPA's, GRE's, XTRA's, ACCEPTANCES

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
University: University of Virginia
Major: Political Science, Studies in Women and Gender (2008)
Overall GPA: 3.7
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: 161 V, 152 Q, 5.0 AW

Observation hours: 60 plus hours at a pediatric OT gym, public schools, and military hospital
Extra-Curric/Volunteer: I've worked for the past six years in education. My first year out of undergrad I was an Americorps member with City Year in DC where I volunteered full-time in an elementary special ed. classroom. I then spent a couple years as a high school special education teacher with a Teach For America like program in DC. I now work for an ed non-profit writing standardized test questions for students with severe cognitive disabilities.
Applied: VCU, Temple, Thomas Jefferson, BU
Acceptances: VCU
Rejections: N/A
Still waiting to hear back from the other three schools. I'm a bit worried about TJ and Temple since they are rolling and I only completed my applications in late December. I have in-state in VA so VCU is probably where I will go but am anxious to hear from the other schools all the same.

Good luck everyone!

Hey, nice to see another City Year alum going into OT! I did City Year in New Orleans :) Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, nice to see another City Year alum going into OT! I did City Year in New Orleans :) Good luck!

Hey lcs20174! That's awesome that you did CY too! I was actually turned onto OT initially by a friend of mine (now a school OT) who did CY in NYC. Small world. :) Good luck to you as well!!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys! Just wondering if anyone applied to murphy deming and heard. I just received an email from them offering me an interview on Feb 15. Let me know if you guys were accepted or interviewed there! Thanks!!

Frances

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! Just wondering if anyone applied to murphy deming and heard. I just received an email from them offering me an interview on Feb 15. Let me know if you guys were accepted or interviewed there! Thanks!!

Frances
I was accepted there

University: UC Berkeley
Major: Media Studies
Overall GPA: 3.53 OTCAS/3.6 by my calculations
Prereq GPA: 4.0
GRE: 157 V, 151 Q, 4.5 AW
OTCAS verified: November 14
OT Observation Hours: 20 in a hospital inpatient setting, 16 in a hospital pediatric outpatient setting, 8 in a skilled nursing facility, 4 in a private pediatric practice
Extra-cirric: I worked in a pretty demanding healthcare public relations role that took up 50-60+ hours of my life each week until recently and that is honestly all I had to reference because it was my life post-undergrad, I mentioned being a longtime runner and blogging

Applied: USC, would have applied to Dominican and Pacific if I hadn't been accepted ED but wound up not needing to :)
Acceptances: USC (12/17)
Interviews: N/A

Major: Religious Studies
Overall GPA: 3.33 (3.01 at my junior college, 3.86 at the university I transferred to)
Pre-Req GPA: 4.00
GRE: 155 V, 152 Q, 4 AW
Observation: At time of initial application, roughly 150 hours in 8 different settings
Other experience: Three years a teacher with kiddos
Applied: U Pitt, Thomas Jefferson, Medical University of South Carolina, Virginia Commonwealth University
Acceptances: MUSC (11/20), VCU (1/22)
Attending: Wherever my fiancée and I damn well please.

Reactions: 2 users
*updated*
Major: Exercise and Sport Science
Overall GPA: 3.659 (last 60 credit hours ~3.8)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.7-3.8 (depending on school)
GRE: v-150 q-155 writing-3.5

Extra-Curric: greek life and honor societies (positions held in both), peer leader, EXSS club, intramural sports, 2 school sponsored leadership retreats, 5 greek life leadership retreats

Volunteer: 30 hours peds, 15 hours skilled nursing/long term care, 25 hours hand therapy/adult outpatient, 200+ hours inpatient/acute care, 350 hours as exercise instructor in skilled nursing/rehabilitation facility (ADL focused exercise with patients receiving OT/PT)

Applied: FGCU, University of St. Augustine, USciences, AIC, Springfield

Acceptances: USciences (1/27)
Rejections:n/a
Interviews:n/a

When did you apply to usciences? Congrats!
I got a phone call from Aimee yesterday! I wasnt able to answer but she left a voicemail saying I was accepted and that acceptance packets are going out sometime next week! My app was complete end of september!

University: University of Florida
Major: Special Education
Overall GPA: 3.85
Upper level GPA: 3.946
Pre-Req GPA: 3.88
GRE: 159 Verbal; 152 Quantitive

Volunteer: 30 hours observations, internships in special needs school, one-on-one tutoring with a child with autism.

Applied: University of Florida

Acceptances: University of Florida :soexcited:

Rejections: none, yet

Last edited:
University: University of Alabama (c/o 2009)
Major: Journalism/Spanish
Overall GPA: 3.13 :shrug:
Pre-req GPA: 3.72-3.9 depending on the school. (3 B's in my psychs, all the rest are A's)
GRE: 151 V 144 Q 5 AW (all over the place!)

Volunteer: Almost 250 hours. First 125 were done in 6 different settings, one of them being a school for students with severe CP, started by a group of these students parents. Second 125 were done in a hospital where I shadowed everything (and still currently am) from Inpatient, outpatient, acute, etc and I've also been shadowed/volunteered in a burn unit. OT in a burn unit is like no other part of the field.
In undergrad: I was a photo editor for an organization and involved in all organizations related journalism. Also, I volunteered with animal shelters and Habitat for Humanity. I have a few internships with publications, newspaper, etc. After undergrad: I've worked as a nanny, on my own and as a contractor, worked in Journalism route for a year (right after undergrad) but then worked for a nonprofit that works with people with disabilities. That's how I found out about OT. Worked as a pet sitter/dog walker: run my own business, volunteer with animal shelters.

Applied: Lenoir-Rhyne, WSSU, ECU, VCU, Mary-Baldwin: Murphy Deming

Acceptances: None yet!

Rejections: Mary-Baldwin: Murphy Deming (Didn't think it was for me, not upset about it )

Wait listed: Lenoir-Rhyne.

I applied last year and was waitlisted everywhere; I applied with a lower GRE score. However, with the application pool almost doubling...all I can do is keep my fingers crossed. waiting is miserable!!

Good Luck everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
University: Elon University
Major: Public Health Studies
Minor: Pyschology
Undergraduate GPA: 3.75
Pre-Req GPA: about 3.41
GRE: V-153, Q-154 W-4.5

Work Experience: rehab tech at two different clinics- 1000 hours
Volunteer: shadowed OT in school system- 50 hours, shadowed in nursing center- 100 hours, shadowed in-patient- 10 hours

Extra-Curric: Studied abroad in India for public health practicum, note taker for disabled students, Division 1 lacrosse student athlete (captain), Exercise Science Society, Girl Scout Gold Award

Interview: Rush
Rejection: Pitt
Acceptances: MUSC, Rush, Thomas Jefferson

Excited to say I will be attending Thomas Jefferson!

Reactions: 2 users
University: Cal State Long Beach
Major: Health Care Administration
Undergraduate GPA: 3.2
last 60 units GPA: 3.7
Pre-Req GPA: 3.8

Volunteer Experience: 60 hours in hand therapy, 50 hours in lymphedema, 30 hours in mental health, 100 hours in rehabilitation

Extra Curricular Activities: Youth leader in local church, Filipino Club, Health Care Administration club

Applied: Samuel Merritt, Loma Linda University, USC, Touro Univ, AT Still, Midwestern, Rockhurst, Texas Womans

Interview: Samuel Merritt, Loma Linda, Touro, Rockhurst

Waitlist: Samuel Merritt, Rockhurst, Loma Linda

Acceptance: Touro University!!!

I just want to let those who are in my same boat and do not have the best statistics is to not lose hope! I know I couldn't do much to higher my undergraduate GPA, so what I did was I really focused on making my pre-reqs as good as possible and taking courses that I felt could be a GPA booster and benefit me in the long run. What I felt was the reason to why I was accepted was that I had a really good interview. So, make sure you really come prepared and ready to ask questions, show how much you really want to go to the school, be engaging, and just go in there with confidence. Also, I prayed every day to St. Jude and did the novenas over and over, and when I really felt all hope was lost because I kept getting wait listed, I found out that I got accepted to the school I really wanted to go to! Sorry this is so long, I just really want to help those who feel discouraged.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
University: WashU in St. Louis
Major: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.33
Prereq GPA: 3.7
GRE: 154 V, 159 Q, 4 W
OTCAS verified: 12/10/13
OT Observation Hours: 80+ rehabilitation, 50+ aquatic therapy, 20+ work and industry
Extra-cirric: I work as a therapy aide for a clinic working with children for aquatic therapy as well as various group programs (150 hours). Worked for 3 years as an inclusion aide with children with special needs in park district or pre-school setting (1050 hours). Volunteered with many different organizations working with adults and children with special needs.

Applied: WUSTL, Rush, UIC, Midwestern IL, U-Wisconsin Madison
Acceptances: WUSTL (2/4/)
Rejections: UIC
Interviews: Rush

University:The Ohio State University
Major:Psychology
Overall GPA:3.5
Pre-Req GPA:3.6-4.0 (Depending on the program)
GRE:V:550, Q:720, W:4.5 (old version-taken in 2010)

OT related experience:A year as a teacher aide in development center working on team with OT, PT & SLP. Also worked as ABA therapist for two years
Extra-curricular:Leadership positions in campus educational organization, volunteer work in Kenya and 75+ hours of shadowing
Applied:Pitt, Chatham, Rush, St. Catherine, Thomas Jefferson, Toledo, UIC, USC, Wisconsin, VCU, & Tufts(I went a little overboard :))
Acceptances:Rush University (12/19/13), UIC (12/19/13), Pitt (12/20/13), Thomas Jefferson (12/20/13), Wisconsin (1/28/14), St. Kates (2/11/14), VCU (2/14/14), USC (2/19/14)
Wait List:University of Toledo, Tufts University
Interviews: Rush University (12/13/13), Chatham (Declined Interview)

Last edited:
University: University of Miami
Major: Health Sciences
Overall GPA: 3.2
Pre-Req GPA: 3.4
GRE: 151 verbal, 156 math, 4.5 writing

Extra-Curric: research assistant for head start learning experience, PT aide

Volunteer: 100 hours (elementary school, outpatient rehab clinic, children's sensory gym)

Applied: SUNY Stony Brook, Rush, Midwestern IL, Nova Southeastern, St. Augustine, Samuel Merritt, USciences

Acceptances: Stony Brook, Nova Southeastern

Rejections: Rush, Samuel Merritt

Interviews: Stony Brook, Nova Southeastern

This is my second year applying to schools so I was so excited to have gotten accepted this year. Still waiting to hear back from the rest but have sent in my deposit to Stony Brook and declined Nova's acceptance due to the cost.

University: University of Miami
Major: Health Sciences
Overall GPA: 3.2
Pre-Req GPA: 3.4
GRE: 151 verbal, 156 math, 4.5 writing

Extra-Curric: research assistant for head start learning experience, PT aide

Volunteer: 100 hours (elementary school, outpatient rehab clinic, children's sensory gym)

Applied: SUNY Stony Brook, Rush, Midwestern IL, Nova Southeastern, St. Augustine, Samuel Merritt, USciences

Acceptances: Stony Brook, Nova Southeastern

Rejections: Rush, Samuel Merritt

Interviews: Stony Brook, Nova Southeastern

Hi! Congrats on getting into grad school! This is my first year applying, and I have been rejected to three schools so far. I have similar stats as you, and was wondering what you did to strengthen your application. I also have an interview with nova southeastern next week. Do you have any pointers for questions they may ask? Congrats again. Look forward to hearing your reply!

Lauren

I took on more volunteering opportunities and then put a lot of time into improving my admissions essay. Also, I started working part-time as a PT aide which really gave me a more hands-on experience in a similar field. As for your interview with nova, I did mine over skype so it was pretty casual. Be prepared to answer what OT is, why you want to go to nova, and what characteristics a healthcare professional needs. They also had me answer some situational type questions. Just try to remain calm and take your time answering their questions. Also, know your application front and back and be prepared to answer questions about it such as explaining certain grades you received.

Finally get to post here!

University: Georgia State University
Major: Psychology/Biology
GPA: 3.09 /3.14[I was a Bio Major Chem minor for 3 yrs...I seriously DISLIKE chem]
Pre-Req: ~3.5-3.7
GRE: 152V 146Q
Ob Hours: 100SNF, 20 inpatient, 5ped

Work/Volunteer: Currently an AmeriCorps VISTA, was a full-time DI student athlete, +plus tons of stuff I didn't include on apps (idk what I was thinking)

Applied: GHSU, WSSU, Pitts, Brenau (2 programs), Nova Mot, Nova DrOT, ASU, TSU
Interview:GHSU (12/17), Nova Mot (1/23), Brenau (2/7), Nova DrOT (2/20),
Waitlised: Nova Mot (I think 2/6 idk)
Acceptances: Brenau (2/22 sent 2/21)

:D:D:D::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

Invites to AlabamaSU on 04/05 and TennesseeSU on 04/12 but idk what to do
I notice you applied to Tennessee State University. Did you get accepted?? If I don't get accepted into Creighton University....I'm going to apply to Tennessee State University.

University:The Ohio State University
Major:Psychology
Overall GPA:3.5
Pre-Req GPA:3.6-4.0 (Depending on the program)
GRE:V:550, Q:720, W:4.5 (old version-taken in 2010)

OT related experience:A year as a teacher aide in development center working on team with OT, PT & SLP. Also worked as ABA therapist for two years
Extra-curricular:Leadership positions in campus educational organization, volunteer work in Kenya and 75+ hours of shadowing
Applied:Pitt, Chatham, Rush, St. Catherine, Thomas Jefferson, Toledo, UIC, USC, Wisconsin, VCU, Tufts & WSSU (I went a little overboard :))
Acceptances:Rush University (12/19/13), UIC (12/19/13)
clip_image001.png
, Pitt (12/20/13), Thomas Jefferson (12/20/13)
Wait List:University of Toledo
Interviews: Rush University (12/13/13), Chatham (Declined Interview)

You got accepted to 4 schools in 2 days?! Wow! And I didn't realize TJU had started accepting people back in December... hmm. Congrats!

Guess it's finally time to post in this thread! Hope it comes to use for people applying in the future/waiting to hear back :)

Undergrad Institution: Stanford University
Major: Ethnic Studies, minor in Drama
Overall Undergraduate GPA: 3.73 (otcas gpa was 3.76 i think?)
Last 60 units GPA: ~3.93
Pre-Req GPA: 3.8/3.9-ish depending on the school
GRE: 160 verbal, 150 math, 5 writing

Observation Hours: 200 total, split across a pediatric clinic, hand therapy, and SNF

Work/Volunteer/extra-curricular: lots of experience working w/children, teach for india, homeless shelter for women and children, admissions counselor, research with kids through Stanford Psych dept, actor/director/producer, etcetc

Applied: CSUDH, SJSU, Boston University, Washington U in St Louis, USC
Acceptances: CSUDH, SJSU, Boston University, USC, Wash U (Masters and Doctorate)
Rejections: n/a
Waiting to hear back from: n/a

Last edited:
Guess it's finally time to post in this thread! Hope it comes to use for people applying in the future/waiting to hear back :)

Undergrad Institution: Stanford University
Major: Ethnic Studies, minor in Drama
Overall Undergraduate GPA: 3.73 (otcas gpa was 3.76 i think?)
Last 60 units GPA: ~3.93
Pre-Req GPA: 3.8/3.9-ish depending on the school
GRE: 160 verbal, 150 math, 5 writing

Observation Hours: 200 total, split across a pediatric clinic, hand therapy, and SNF

Work/Volunteer/extra-curricular: lots of experience working w/children, teach for india, homeless shelter for women and children, admissions counselor, research with kids through Stanford Psych dept, actor/director/producer, etcetc

Applied: CSUDH, SJSU, Boston University, Washington U in St Louis, USC
Acceptances: CSUDH, SJSU, Boston University, USC
Rejections: none yet
Waiting to hear back from: WashU

Congratulations peachie!! You got accepted into some excellent schools. Do you know where you will attend? When did you hear back from Boston University and how did they notify you (email, mail, phone)? I am still waiting to hear back from them.

University: Purdue University
Major: Public Health
Overall GPA: 3.44
Pre-Req GPA: 3.5-3.6

GRE: Quantitative: 150
Verbal: 155
Writing: 5

Extra-Curric: Leadership position in my sorority
Adopt-a-Grandparent club (100 hours)
Chapter Bible study leader (100 hours)
Student Intern at PT/OT Outpatient clinic- 350 hours
Student Intern at Purdue Student Wellness Office- 150 hours

Volunteer: Physical/Aquatic activity weekly camp for kids with cognitive, physical disabilities (leadership position) (75 hours)
Adaptive water ski camp volunteer (12 hours)

Acceptances: VCU, Brenau U, Milligan College, Indiana State, UTHSC, WUSTL

Rejections: St. Louis University, Spalding University

Interviews: University of Indianapolis, UNE (declined interview), Milligan College, Belmont

Waitlist: University of Indianapolis, Belmont, Shenandoah

Updated 5/4/2014

Last edited:
Congratulations peachie!! You got accepted into some excellent schools. Do you know where you will attend? When did you hear back from Boston University and how did they notify you (email, mail, phone)? I am still waiting to hear back from them.

Hey @kbbug ! Yeah, I got an email from BU today (2/6) saying I was admitted, and it came with a scan of the acceptance letter. Said more information would be coming in hard-copy form in the mail shortly. I haven't heard back from everyone yet, but I'll most likely be going to USC regardless. Is BU your first choice? I don't know a whole lot about the program, aside from its great reputation so I'd love insight if you have any!

Hey @kbbug ! Yeah, I got an email from BU today (2/6) saying I was admitted, and it came with a scan of the acceptance letter. Said more information would be coming in hard-copy form in the mail shortly. I haven't heard back from everyone yet, but I'll most likely be going to USC regardless. Is BU your first choice? I don't know a whole lot about the program, aside from its great reputation so I'd love insight if you have any!

I don't really know much about the BU program either other than the fact that it is known to have a strong research component. Right now I think that I will probably be attending WashU next year, but I am still waiting to hear back from Boston University, Tufts University, and Creighton University (which I interviewed at about 2 weeks ago).

I got accepted into BU today! Very excited. :D

Major: Psychology & Exercise and Sport Science
Overall GPA: 3.794
Pre-req: ~3.95
GRE:
Quantitative: 153
Verbal: 158
Writing: 4.5
Volunteer: ~210 hours of OT observations (pediatric and adult, rehab, acute, inpatient, and outpatient)

Last edited:
Does anyone know how BU works? If I didn't get an acceptance email, does that mean I got rejected? I called the office today and they said that they are mailing out decisions next Tuesday. I'm guessing that means they're mailing out rejections if you didn't get an acceptance email? I'm pretty upset about this =(

Does anyone know how BU works? If I didn't get an acceptance email, does that mean I got rejected? I called the office today and they said that they are mailing out decisions next Tuesday. I'm guessing that means they're mailing out rejections if you didn't get an acceptance email? I'm pretty upset about this =(

I think they are emailing everyone first and then mailing hard copies. I got an email today saying I was on the waitlist for BU so it looks like decisions are definitely being made now.

I think they are emailing everyone first and then mailing hard copies. I got an email today saying I was on the waitlist for BU so it looks like decisions are definitely being made now.
Thanks for the information. I will be constantly checking my email!

University: University of California, Irvine
Major: B.A. Sociology, Economics
Undergraduate GPA: 3.67
Pre-Req GPA: 3.8-3.9 (depending on school)
GRE: Honestly don't remember the exact score, but it was pretty average...1100 ish? (old)

Extra-Curric: Piano, violin, research assistant, tutor, independent study

Volunteer: 100+ hours, various departments at an academic hospital

Acceptances: Boston University
Waitlisted: USC, NYU
Rejections: Columbia

Attending: BU (currently completing my last semester)

Congrats jkim144! When did you hear from BU and NYU?

University: University of California, Irvine
Major: B.A. Sociology, Economics
Undergraduate GPA: 3.67
Pre-Req GPA: 3.8-3.9 (depending on school)
GRE: Honestly don't remember the exact score, but it was pretty average...1100 ish? (old)

Extra-Curric: Piano, violin, research assistant, tutor, independent study

Volunteer: 100+ hours, various departments at an academic hospital

Acceptances: Boston University
Waitlisted: USC, NYU
Rejections: Columbia

Attending: BU (currently completing my last semester)
When and how did you hear from USC? I'm asking because the February 15th deadline hasn't even passed yet.

Dont worry guys I dont think NYU, USC (regular decision), or Columbia have given out decisions yet. Jkim144 stated that she is currently completing her last semester at BU. Soo I think she's posting her stats from a few years ago.

Reactions: 1 users
Major: Psychology (minor in biology)
Overall GPA: Depends on the school, but ~3.9 at the university I graduated from
Pre-Req GPA: Also depends on the school
GRE: I didn’t have to take it :happy:
OT Observations: Around 200 hours in acute, outpatient, and school settings
Other experiences: Vet tech, university tutor, middle school tutor, and rehab tech, plus hospital volunteer work
Applied: UTMB, Texas Tech, UTHSCSA, and TWU Houston
Interviews: UTMB, Texas Tech, and UTHSCSA
Acceptances: UTMB, Texas Tech, UTHSCSA, and TWU Houston (after first being waitlisted!)

Overall GPA: 3.4
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.9
GRE: 162V 157Q 5.5 AW
OT Observations: 50 hours in 7 settings
Applied: UNC
Interviews: UNC
Acceptances: UNC!!! So excited!!!

Good luck to everyone! The process is stressful, but you can do it!

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. I will be constantly checking my email!

Hey! I didn't receive an email last week so I called Boston OT and they said they can email your decision letter by phone request. They emailed me right away after I called and I wasn't accepted. They emailed acceptance letters last week and are mailing both acceptance letters and rejections out this coming Tuesday to everyone. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users
Major: Communication, Sociology, minor in Spanish (c/o 2009)
Overall GPA: 2.84 according to OTCAS
Last 60: 3.4
Pre-Req GPA: 3.9
GRE: 580V 680Q 4.5 AW (old format. according to GRE tables it correlates to a 158V 153Q on the new scale)
OT Observations: 80+ hours. Mostly in hand therapy and acute in-patient.
Applied: Wisconsin, VCU, Rush University, University of Puget Sound, Bay Path College
Rejections: Wisconsin, VCU, Rush, Bay Path College
Interviews: n/a (none of the schools I applied to require an interview)
Acceptances: University of Puget Sound!!!

after being on this forum for over a year and using it to help my grad school preparation, i am so excited to get to post on this thread. i also want to give hope to those who have made mistakes in the past. you can overcome them! i mean, my cumulative GPA is a 2.84 and includes 3 failed classes my freshman year! don't be scared to take a few years off between undergrad and grad school...it really gives you perspective on life and allows you to explore what you really enjoy. when i finished undergrad i had no idea that i would eventually apply for OT grad school, but when i made up my mind i was able to really focus and work hard. getting that life experience and maturing really allowed me to write a kick-ass personal statement and get some really good rec letters from people who worked with me after i grew up a little from undergrad (i'm not gonna lie...i partied and was irresponsible. but it's all out of my system now!) research your schools well...find ones that like applicants similar to you.

good luck to you all!!!

*update 4/2/14 - i was denied from all schools except for UPS, but you only need one! :)

Last edited:
University: Pacific Lutheran University
Major: Psychology (BS)
Overall GPA: 3.82
Pre-Req GPA: 3.7
GRE: 149 quantitative, 157 verbal, 4.0 analytical

Extra-Curricular: Dance team, developmental gymnastics coach, middle school mentor and paraeducator
Volunteer: 18 hours in children's therapy, 36 hours in home health and 32 hours in rehabilitation

Applied: University of Washington, University of Puget Sound, Eastern Washington University, Pacific University, Colorado State University and Midwestern University
Interviews: Pacific, Midwestern and Eastern
Acceptances: University of Puget Sound!

Last edited:
Overall GPA: 3.82
GRE: 152 Verbal, 151 Quantitative, 4.0 Analytical

Extra-Curricular: At-risk youth mentor, administrative volunteer, Student Resources Committee member, and student body Senator
Volunteer: 73 hours in a long-term care facility, 10 hours in an elementary school, and 15 hours in outpatient pediatrics

Applied: University of Puget Sound and Pacific University
Interviews: Pacific
Acceptances: University of Puget Sound

University: Central Arkansas
Overall GPA: 3.64
GRE:

Volunteer: 20 w/ hand therapy, 150+ After-School Special Needs Program
Paid Work: 100+ with Arkansas OT Association, 300 with direct care/home health

Applied: Texas Women's, Midwestern (AZ), Towson (MD), Central Arkansas (UCA), Creighton, Tennessee State

Acceptances: N/A

Rejections: Texas Women's, Towson

Waitlisted: Central Arkansas, Midwestern (AZ)

Last edited:
University: Seattle Pacific
Overall GPA: 3.38
GRE: V:510 Q620 W5 (old version 2010)

Observations:50 total-
28 skilled nursing, 22 child development/diagnositic

Volunteer:
30hr Special Olympics, 65 Inclusive art education, 208 Brain injury camp/outdoor recreation, 600 outdoor education.

Work: I listed 6,800 hours of applicable work experience on OTCAS
Directly working with people with developmental disabilities as a direct support provider (1.5 years), Program Manager (3 years), and a Behavior specialist/Program Director (6 months-current)

Presentation: 2010 Conference on Human Development

Research:
University of Oregon Brain lab (40 hours) and Seattle Pacific University Psychology Lab (500hours)

Applied in order of preference:
Belmont, Washington University St. Louis, Pacific, University of Wisconsin Madison, University of New England, University of Washington Seattle, Ithaca.

Interviews: Belmont, UNE

Acceptances: none yet

Waitlist: UW Madison

Rejections: Pacific University 2/28, UW Seattle 3/17

Updated 3/17

Last edited:
University: Indiana University
Minors: Gerontology and Human Development and Family Studies
Cum GPA: 3.78
GRE: 4.5 on writing, and 152 and 154 on the other sections
Applied: OSU, IU, U of Indy, WashU, UIC, Midwestern (IL)
Accepted: OSU, IU, U of Indy, WashU, Midwestern
Rejected: UIC
Attending: OSU!

University: University of Pennsylvania
Major: Cultural Anthropology
Minors: Sociology and Spanish - also took some grad level coursework in Epidemiology, Biostatistics, and Special Education (High Incidence Disabilities)

GPA: 3.81 GPA overall according to OTCAS, 4.0 pre-req GPA, 3.72 undergrad GPA

GRE: 4.0 on writing, and 162 verbal, 155 quantitative

OT shadowing hours: 54 hours in post acute rehab facility, 18 hours at VA hospital in-patient therapy clinic, 60 hours in elementary and middle school setting
Volunteer hours: 164+ hours volunteering at skilled nursing facility/long-term care housing, 60 hours sidewalking with children in therapeutic riding center, 25 hours volunteering at VA hospital, and 25+ hours volunteering with local parks and rec therapeutic recreation center with teens and adults with disabilities

OTCAS verified: 02/08/2014 :oops:(

Applied: San Jose State, Midwestern Glendale, A.T. Still, WUSTL
Accepted: n/a
Rejected: A.T. Still (said I applied too late)
Attending: n/a

I'm worried that I won't get accepted anywhere because I waited a long time to submit my application through OTCAS and it took a while to get my transcripts verified. Do I still have a chance?

@Honeychain

I'm in the exact same boat. I applied to Texas schools only (waitlisted!), so I didn't apply to out of state schools until January, and OTCAS wasn't verified until 2/07/14. I heard the same thing from Creighton, AT Still, and Thomas Jefferson - all of our interview spots are full. Apply earlier next year. They didn't out and out reject me, but I assume if all the interview spots are full then I won't be given the opportunity to be considered, so basically it all spells out the same thing. I haven't heard back from Midwestern or Temple, but I'm hoping they still have some spots available, however doubtful that may be. My status says "complete, and ready for review" and I keep checking the portal every day. If I don't get in anywhere this year then I will definitely be the first one applying next year in July!!

@Honeychain

I'm in the exact same boat. I applied to Texas schools only (waitlisted!), so I didn't apply to out of state schools until January, and OTCAS wasn't verified until 2/07/14. I heard the same thing from Creighton, AT Still, and Thomas Jefferson - all of our interview spots are full. Apply earlier next year. They didn't out and out reject me, but I assume if all the interview spots are full then I won't be given the opportunity to be considered, so basically it all spells out the same thing. I haven't heard back from Midwestern or Temple, but I'm hoping they still have some spots available, however doubtful that may be. My status says "complete, and ready for review" and I keep checking the portal every day. If I don't get in anywhere this year then I will definitely be the first one applying next year in July!!
So did Creighton University told you it was to late.......I believe I will not get a seat.
Hello!!!!!!!! I applied to Creighton University in Nov/Dec. So where are you applying t0 next year??? I'm thinking about!
Tennessee State University
University of Tennessee
Milligan College
Belmont University
Creighton University
Schools in Oklahoma
Schools in North Carolina and South Carolina

University: Purdue University
Overall GPA: 3.44
Pre-Req GPA: 3.5
GRE:

Quantitative: 145
Verbal: 150
Writing: 5

Extra-Curric:

Leadership position in my sorority
Adopt-a-Grandparent club
Chapter Bible study leader
Student Intern at PT/OT Outpatient clinic- 350 hours
Student Intern at Purdue Student Wellness Office- 150 hours

Volunteer:

Physical/Aquatic activity weekly camp for kids with cognitive, physical disabilities (leadership position)
Adaptive water ski camp volunteer

Acceptances: VCU, Brenau

Rejections: St. Louis University

Interviews: University of Indianapolis (waitlisted), UNE (declined interview), Milligan College, Belmont (waiting to attend interview)

Still waiting to hear from Spalding, WashU, and obviously UTHSC because they don't give acceptances til the summer!
Can you please give me some advice on Milligan College........I want to apply there

University: Central Arkansas
Overall GPA: 3.64
GRE:

Volunteer: 20 w/ hand therapy, 150+ After-School Special Needs Program
Paid Work: 100+ with Arkansas OT Association, 300 with direct care/home health

Applied: Texas Women's, Midwestern (AZ), Towson (MD), Central Arkansas (UCA), Creighton, Tennessee State

Acceptances: N/A

Rejections: Texas Women's

Interviews: Midwestern (March)
Can you please give some advice on applying. I really want to get into Tennessee State University

I'm so excited I finally get to post here!!

University: SUNY Buffalo
Major: Biomedical Sciences and Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.6-3.7
Pre-Req GPA: 3.5 to 3.8 according to different programs
GRE: In the 150's for verbal and quantitative, 4.0 in analytical writing

Extra-Curric: Research assistant for 1.5 years, bunch of volunteer stuff including recreational therapy

OT observation hours: 200 in inpatient rehab, 45 in another inpatient rehab, 45 in hand therapy, and 5 in pediatrics (which I didn't get to include for some schools b/c I did it during winter break)

Applied: Sacred Heart, Boston U, NYIT, LIU, Touro College, NYU, Columbia

Acceptances: LIU

Rejections: Boston U

Interviews: NYIT (waitlisted), Sacred Heart, LIU

@Honeychain

I'm with you! I applied to one Texas school and then was rejected, so I had to hurry to complete my OTCAS. I'm hoping it wasn't too late.

University: University of Maryland

Major: Biology

Overall GPA- Undergraduate Transcript from graduating college: 3.13
Pre-req: 3.30-3.45 depending on the schools req.
OTCAS calculations:
Total Undergraduate 2.8
Post-BS/BA Baccalaureate 3.39
Cumulative Undergraduate 2.93

GRE: V:143 Q: 137 Writing: 3.0

Extra-Curric:
Rehabilitation Volunteer, Meals-on-Wheels Volunteer, All American Summer Track Camp Assistant, National Zoo Keeper Aide, Cat Caretaker Volunteer, Biology Society, Youth Mentor
-Chiropractic Assistant for 3 yrs

OT observation hrs-50+ (elementary school, pediatric clinic, home health care)

Applied: D'youville, Towson, Howard University, University of the Science, Springfield College, Alabama State
Rejections: D'youville, Towson
Interviews: Howard University, Alabama State (declined)
Accepted: Howard University, Springfield College
-Still waiting to hear back from the other schools

Verified OTCAS- end of Jan

*Don't become discouraged to apply to schools because of a low gpa or gre. I believe my extra-curricular activities made me stand out a little from the avg applicant (the person who interviewed me actually remembered I volunteered at the zoo). I did really well on my interview which I think helped me a WHOLE lot. I could of did better on the gre buuuut what can I expect when I didn't study.

Last edited:
University: Messiah College
Major: Health and Exercise Science w/ a concentration in Pre-PT
Overall GPA:3.11
GRE: 155V 151Q 4.5W

Extra-Curric: Lived abroad in South Korea teaching English for 3 1/2 years to children and adults

Volunteer: 30 hours in sub-acute facility and 35 hours in a pediatric setting

Acceptances: VCU(2/17/14)
Waitlist: TJU
Rejections: Towson