GPA's, GRE's, XTRA's, ACCEPTANCES

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
University: UC San Diego
Major: Psychology (minored in Healthcare & Social Issues)
Overall GPA- 3.67
Pre-req GPA- 4.0
GRE: Verbal (156) & Quant (158) & Writing (3.5)
Work/Volunteer: Currently working in corporate admin for a healthcare company/network. Did 60 hours of OT-related volunteer work. 60 hours observing PA's when I was pursuing that path. In the past year, also volunteered with a political campaign for district assembly.

Applied to: USC early admit, U of Touro Nevada, PhilU, Pitts, Thomas Jefferson, Midwestern (Arizona), Boston U

Interviews: Midwestern

Accepted: USC Early Admit

Rejected: Didn't get that far because I accepted my USC Early Admit acceptance and cancelled all other applications/interviews.

=) Good luck to everyone! Super excited to meet other USC OT students. I've been waiting all my life to be a Trojan!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got my acceptance from Columbia today!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! I submitted on Dec 5 I believe.

Last edited:
I am currently a Biology major standing at a 2.9 with a pre-req GPA of 3.4. My last 60 hours will bring me up to a 3.3-3.4. I will graduate Dec 2013, so I still have two semesters that will account into my over-all GPA, hopefully bringing me up to 3.0-3.1. I was thinking about applying to UTMB, Texas Tech, UTHSCSA, and TWU-Houston and wanted to know what my chances are of getting an interview or being accepted.
I have 40 hours of shadowing with an OTR and will be volunteering at a hospital this summer. I am also involved in other organizations outside of school and also work part-time at a Organic Chemistry lab. Any advice or tips would greatly be appreciated. With my low GPA I am starting to lose faith ,but still trying to hold strong and I am definitely not giving up. Any help will be appreciated!

Do not be discouraged GPA is not everything at most schools, however I would advise you to apply early to all programs, when you do decide to apply. This is to your advantage as your application will be one of the first seen. Also I know from personal experience that TWU is looking for a 3.6 or higher. Their website says 3.0 but they usually only consider 3.6 or higher. I had a 3.52 and that kept me from consideration. I would recommend applying to other schools outside of TX.

Finally get to post here!

University: Georgia State University
Major: Psychology/Biology
GPA: 3.09 /3.14[I was a Bio Major Chem minor for 3 yrs...I seriously DISLIKE chem]
Pre-Req: ~3.5-3.7
GRE: 152V 146Q
Ob Hours: 100SNF, 20 inpatient, 5ped

Work/Volunteer: Currently an AmeriCorps VISTA, was a full-time DI student athlete, +plus tons of stuff I didn't include on apps (idk what I was thinking)

Applied: GHSU, WSSU, Pitts, Brenau (2 programs), Nova Mot, Nova DrOT, ASU, TSU
Interview:GHSU (12/17), Nova Mot (1/23), Brenau (2/7), Nova DrOT (2/20),
Waitlised: Nova Mot (I think 2/6 idk)
Acceptances: Brenau (2/22 sent 2/21)

:D:D:D::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

Invites to AlabamaSU on 04/05 and TennesseeSU on 04/12 but idk what to do

Last edited:
Major: psychology
Overall GPA: Undergrad: 2.8, Post-bac 3.89, Grad 3.44
Pre-Req GPA: I got a C in Anatomy, other are mostly A's
GRE: 160, 164, 3.5

Volunteer: non-profit org, children's hospital, rehab hospital, outpatient clinic

Acceptances: Temple, WMich

OTCAS submitted 12/17, but file not complete until 1/29

Last edited:
University: Pennsylvania State University
Major: Education and Communications
Overall GPA: Undergrad: 3.65, Overall with completed prereq's: 3.67
Pre-Req GPA: One B+ in Statistics, everything else was either an A- or A's (still in the process of finishing A&P2)
GRE: 154, 151, 4

Extra-Curric: very active in undergrad within Greek Life, Campus Recruitment/Tours, University Events, and Volunteering within the Community; Since graduation, worked at a pediatric hospital within Child Life

OT Hours: 30+ at an adult and pediatric rehab center, 90+ at a pediatric spinal cord injury center

Acceptances: Temple University (yay!), University of the Sciences, Philadelphia University

Waitlisted: Jefferson (I think I waited too long to apply!! Get your applications in EARLY for Jeff!!)

Denials: None yet at this time, but still waiting to hear from Towson University

OTCAS submitted 9/23/12, but file not verified until 11/4/12

Good luck to everyone!!!

Last edited:
Major in psych, minor in bio
Overall GPA 3.7
Pre-req GPA 3.5
GRE 4.5 analytical 155 verbal 148 quant

Over 100 hours in inpatient adult and ped. rehab, outpatient ped. rehab and special needs school

Extra curriculars
Research assistant- administered WAIS-IV intelligence test and other psychological tests looking at relationship between ADHD and cognitive abilities
Presented data at research conference
Psi chi
President of dance company

Applied- Medical university of sc, Stony Brook, Suny downstate med, Touro college

Accepted- Suny Downstated med
Waitlisted- Medical university of sc
Rejected- none as of now

Waiting from stony brook and touro

Hoping to get into MUSC!

University: George Mason University
Major: Community Health
Overall GPA: 3.12
Pre-Req GPA:

Natural Sciences: 1.99
Social Sciences: 3.36
Humanities: 2.90
Math: 3.33
Other: 3.48

Extra-Curric: Nothing worth mentioning

Volunteer: 60 hours OT observating/volunteering

Acceptances: Howard University

Rejections: University of Pittsburgh

Waiting: Shenandoah University (#1 choice), Towson University, Milligan College

Interviews: Howard University

**Note that Howard University is an HBCU located in Washington DC

As you can see my GPA was not very impressive and I do not recall my exact GRE scores but they were not great either. I think my personal statement somewhat made up for where I lacked in other areas. I also think my interview with Howard went pretty well. On paper I am not anything special but I am a charmer ;)

Last edited:
bigred congratulations, I'm sort of in the same boat and look to people like you for inspiration. I'm also hoping that an interview would carry me through. Question for you..when you say your personal statement was great can you be a little specific? I'm worried that when people say their personal statement is great it's because they have a family member who has disabilities or special needs which would give them a direct connection to the field. And what do you think made your interview stand out, or make people remember you?

University: CUNY Hunter
Major: africaa studies
Overall GPA: 3.42 (3.92 for major)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.5 / 3.65
GRE: none

Extra-Curric: food pantry volunteer, tutor for young children
Volunteer: 40+ hours at hospital (outpatient)

Acceptances: NYU

waiting for Columbia to reply

I only applied to the schools I really wanted to attend.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did NYU send it though email or snail mail? I have been waiting since October and crossing my fingers.

I think you'll be ok. I think your best bet is TX Tech. I know TWU wants at least a 3.4-3.6 to even be considered for an interview. At least you have a lot of extra cirric stuff. Good luck!!!

University: small liberal arts school
Major: psychology (minors in sociology and education)
Overall GPA: 3.06 (3.5 in last 60 semester units)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.9 or 4.0 ish
GRE: 158 V, 154 Q, 4.5 AW

Extra-Curric: 4 year varsity collegiate athlete (captain and coordinated volunteer activities for team), Big Brothers Big Sisters, A Leadership Program, Education Honors Society

Work Experience: Rehabilitation Aide, High School Varsity Assistant Basketball Coach, Summer Camp Director and Coach, Human Resources Assistant

Volunteer: 100 hours in a school, 40 hours in hands, 30ish hours in a SNF

Acceptances: San Jose State

Rejections: Cal State Dominguez Hills

Interviews: St. Augustine, Dominican (i declined both)

University: Marist College
Major: Psychology, minors in music and global studies
Overall GPA: 3.72
Prereq GPA: ~3.8
No GRE

Extra Curriculars- several choirs and an cappella group in college, orientation leader, several on campus jobs, honors program, psi chi

OT experience: volunteered/observed for 208 hours total- 37 in rehab, 84 in mental health, 50 in hand therapy, 25 in preschool/early intervention, 12 in elementary school

Accepted: SUNY Downstate, NYU, Sage College, Seton Hall University
Waitlisted: n/a
Interviews: SUNY Downstate, declined interview offers from LIU Brooklyn and Kean
Rejected: n/a

Attending SUNY Downstate!

Last edited:
Where/how did you find your mental health shadowing experience? I am dying to find some but i'm not sure where to look.

As a psych major I was required to do an internship and it just so happened that I ended up working with a COTA for a portion of each day at my internship. It was a daily adolescent outpatient program at a hospital. Outside of that, I found it really difficult to find OTs that work in mental health.

Undergrad University of Portland
Cum. 3.2
last 60 3.2
GRE N/A
Pre-req around 3.2

Observation 50 skilled rehab, 50 kid therapy
Experience 2.5 years as a caregiver for a parent with early onset dementia, disability advocacy coordinator at my college, 1 year work with teens with behavior disabilities, 1 year post grad with adults with disabilities, 1 year post grad creating a mentorship program for students of diversity (AmeriCorps) and lots more. I am almost 28 and have tons of experience in the field. I also lost my older brother in a car accident. It should be noted that I wrote a supplemental essay to explain GPA due to loss of my brother and mother.

Applied Pacific University Otd program

Interview Pacific

Accepted First tier waiting list at Pacific with a very high chance of acceptance

I almost didnt apply this year because I ended up with a C in A&P2. I am so happy that I did apply. Some programs, like Pacific, really do look at the entire applicant-not just GPA.

Don't loose hope

Last edited:
University: Large Midwestern university
Major: Linguistics and Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.7
Pre-Req GPA: 3.9
GRE: Didn't take it

Extra-Curric / Work: 2.5 years hospital tech, 3 years reading tutor, 7 months research assistant

Volunteer: 60 hours rehab facility, 25 hours with school OT, misc other non-OT volunteering at schools and mental health center

Acceptances: Two schools in the Midwest

Rejections: none

Last edited:
University: University of Virginia c/o 2011
Major: Kinesiology (Sports Medicine Concentration), Dance Minor
Overall GPA: 2.77
Pre-Req GPA: 3.625
GRE: V- 152 Q - 143 W - 4.5

Work Experience: Over 200 hours of working with clients with intellectual disabilities, over 2000 hours of doing research for a local free clinic

Extra-Curric: Volunteered w/ a hospital ICU at the UVa Health Center, church praise team dance leader, volunteering for local service groups, nutrition and physical education intervention program for Spanish immigrants

Volunteer: 61 hrs shadowed in out-patient rehab, 20 hrs shadowed in skilled nursing facility, 26 hrs shadowed in a school setting

Acceptances: James Madison University, Virginia Commonwealth University

Rejections: LSU - New Orleans, Jefferson College of Health Sciences, Howard University, Shenandoah

Interviews: n/a

Waitlisted: Virginia Commonwealth University (offered admission)

Will be attending VCU starting this summer =)

I hope my post gives hope to those who have lower GPAs, its not the end of the world. Do well in your pre-reqs, get plenty of observation hours and really connect with those OTs for good references, and write a killer personal statement!!

Reactions: 1 users
University: UC San Diego
Major: Sociology
Overall GPA: 2.66
Last 60 GPA: 3.24
Pre-Req GPA: 3.8
GRE: 1340 - 630V, 710Q, 4.0W

Volunteer: 52 hrs skilled nursing facility, 5 hrs elementary school, 30 hrs children's hospital

Acceptances: Samuel Merritt, VCU, Puget Sound

Rejections: UIC, Tufts, Pacific, NYU, Columbia, A.T. Still

Interviews: Samuel Merritt, Nova Southeastern (declined)

Applied: Samuel Merritt, Pacific University, Puget Sound, A.T. Still, UIC, Tufts, Columbia, NYU, VCU, Nova Southeastern

Hi! I was wondering about the process you took? I have similar numbers as you when it comes to my GPA and I am extremely worried about applications as I don't think I can get in during my first try. What do you think you did that helped you get acceptances?? Any advice would be great!

University: Rutgers University
Major: Exercise Science/Kinesiology
Combined GPA: 3.1 (Undergrad GPA < 3.0)
Pre-req GPA: 3.6-3.8

Extra-Curriculars/Work/Volunteer: 124 OT hours in 4 settings, 46 hours in PT clinic, 252 hours of internship with developmental disabilities, instructor for varies after-school programs for 5 years, founding member of a student organization, and supervisor for 1 year in school

Schools I applied to: USciences, UIndy, Pacific, Bay Path, Springfield, Chatham, AIC, Misericordia, Creighton

Interviews: AIC and Creighton

Wait-list: USciences

Acceptances: Springfield

Those with mediocre stats, don't give up! If you are truly passionate about OT, let your passion guide you through the process. Apply to a variety of places. Work hard on the personal statement and pre-req classes, and getting good LORs. To be honest, the process is OVERWHELMING and LONG! I was about to lose hope and plan for second application cycle, but life is unpredictable. I believe my personal statements, LORs, and varies experiences made up for my low stats. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

University: Small liberal arts school
Major: Psychology
GPA: 3.0 Pre-req GPA 3.5

Experience: 3 years working in a residential treatment facility (200+ hours shadowing the OT) and one year in a supervisory role. 1 year of teaching experience (specifically teaching a child with autism).

Applied to MOT programs.
Schools I applied to: Midwestern University (IL), Tufts, UNE, UNH, Columbia, Sacred Heart, Ithaca College, Worcester State University

Interviews: Ithaca College and Sacred Heart

Acceptances: None

Wait list: Tufts, UNE, Ithaca College, WSU

Rejections: Midwestern, UNH

(Still waiting to hear from Columbia and Sacred Heart)

Not sure what my odds are of getting into any of the schools that I've been wait listed at but I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

University: Temple University

Overall GPA: 3.6

Pre-Req GPA: 3.6. However, I'm currently taking Anatomy I and I'll take Anatomy II summer session.

GRE: I took the MAT (Miller Analogies Test) instead. Did anyone else? I got a 415, most schools want you to get at least a 400. Most people have never heard of it, but it's the alternative to the GRE. If you're not the best at the quantitative portion and your choice of schools accept it (most do, at least for OT) I highly recommend it!

Extra-Curric: Safe Haven (I attended Lock Haven University before transferring to Temple.) We staged health and wellness program activities for college students, as well as alternative events to discourage underage and binge drinking. I worked through undergrad and was a commuter so there wasn't much time for other extra-currics. I work at an assisted living facility as a receptionist.

Volunteer: 30 hours in assisted living with two different OTs, 20 hours in pediatrics (school setting)

Acceptances: University of the Sciences

Waitlists: Thomas Jefferson University, New York University

Rejections: None (although the wait list feels like a rejection!)

I'm really hoping to get into Jefferson =\ Not having the two Anatomy classes finished before applying may have something to do with it.

University: UIUC

Major: History, Secondary Education

Overall GPA- 3.75

Pre-req GPA- 4.0 (still taking anatomy I and II)

GRE: Verbal (162) & Quant (157) & Writing (4.5)

Work/Volunteer: 2 years as Special Education Teacher, 2 years working with kids with cognitive disabilities

Applied to: Midwestern, Rush, UIC

Interviews: Rush

Accepted: Rush, UIC (attending)

Rejected: Never heard from Midwestern, but lost interest once I got into my other schools.

I got into both schools while still taking Anatomy I and II, so as long as every other pre-req is completed, I don't think this is a deal-breaker. Good luck to everyone!

Undergrad: University of Iowa 2007

Major: Communications, Spanish minor

Overall: 3.27

Pre Req: 4.0

GRE: 306 and 4.5 writing

Work/Volunteer: Shadowed OTs for 45 hours, Worked full time in different field since I graduated college almost 6 years ago-yikes scary!...continued to work full time as I worked to get all the pre reqs and shadowing done for applying to school this year. Volunteer hours lacked, but that was understandable with school and work full time. I also lived abroad in Costa Rica in college.

Applied: UNC Chapel Hill, ECU, and MUSC

Acceptance: MUSC!! (waitlisted first)

This is a very difficult process and I feel for those out there waiting to hear back or getting bad news...we've chosen a highly competitive field with small class sizes!!! GOOD LUCK to everyone!!

University: University of California San Diego
Major: Psychology (minor in Economics)
Overall GPA: 3.56
Pre-Req GPA: 3.9
GRE: 1260

Extra-Curric: Officer for my university's Pre-PT/OT society, was involved in the Undergraduate Investment Society, volunteered abroad in Cambodia and Mexico, volunteered at a nursing home, did research at an Infant Vision Lab and presented my research data at a conference for undergrad researchers, worked as an admin assistant throughout college, etc.

OT related work: 700+ hours as a rehab technician at an outpatient clinic, 70 hours at inpatient hospital, 22 hours at an outpatient hand therapy clinic, 32 hours at a pediatric clinic, 20 hours at a summer camp hosted by OTs

Acceptances: USC, NYU, Loma Linda

Rejections: None

Will most likely be attending USC :)

University: Radford University
Overall GPA 2.98
GRE: 151 (verbal) 150 (math) 4.0 (writing)

OT related Work/ Volunteering: 60 hours in a skilled nursing facility, babysat for a mentally disabled child for 2 summers. I also did research in Social Psychology with a professor for 2 semesters.

Applied: Jefferson College of Health Sciences, Philadelphia University, Towson University, Nova Southeastern University, Brenau University, University of Pittsburgh, Univeristy of New England, Milligan College

Acceptances: Nova Southeastern University

Inverviews: Nova Southeastern University, Alabama State Univeristy

Waitlisted: Philadelphia Univeristy, University of New England

Still waiting to hear on Milligan College as well asTowson, and I go for my interview at Alabama this weekend!

University: Large public university
Major: Exercise Science & Psych
Overall GPA: 3.3
Pre-req GPA: 3.8 (retook a few prereqs)
Shadowing: 130hrs hand therapy/outpatient; 80hrs @ school for cerebral palsy

Acceptances: USciences, Chatham, Seton Hall
Rejections: Stockton, Springfield
Waitlisted: NYU

Last edited:
University: College of Staten Island
Overall GPA: 3.54
GRE: Did not take it

Extra-Curric/Achievements: Psi Chi, Verrazano Honors Program, Dean's List

Volunteer: 80 hours between hand therapy and pediatrics OT. Internship for 1 year working with children with Autism/ASD then hired as an assistant teacher and still currently working there since. (2 years)

Acceptances: Seton Hall

Wait-list: NYU

Rejections: Kean and SUNY Downstate

Interviews: none

Waiting on Columbia University

University: Texas Tech
Major: Exercise and Sport Sciences
Overall GPA: 3.3
Pre-Req GPA: 3.56 varies depending on school

Extra-Curric: Tech Cheerleader and AOII sorority

Volunteer: 4 hrs in hippotherapy 33 hrs in neuroscience 65+ in geriatrics 6hrs in peds.

Acceptances: Touro University Nevada and Howard University

Rejections: Texas Tech, UTMB, Milligan, AT Still and VCU

Interviews: Touro University Nevada and Howard University

* rejected from UTMB because they do not do grade replacements for pre-reqs. But I do recommend retaking your C's and some B's for other schools.

Will be attending Touro this summer :)

University: Large Public school
Major: Psych
GPA: 3.85
Major GPA: 3.95
GRE: 161 both

Acceptances: UIC, UW, Boston U, Columbia

Last edited:
Overall GPA is 3.86, Pre-Req is 3.96
GRE: V - 153 Q - 155 A - 4.5
60 hours of OT observation (50 adult, 10 kids), lots of other Rehab work experience

Accepted: UPS

Wait-list: UW (wait-list is still moving, last I heard they contacted up-to #12 on the wait list)

At this point I could still be accepted to UW through the wait-list, but a scholarship I got is making UPS almost the same price, so I am 99% sure I will end up at UPS.

edit: UW called 4/15, all spots filled (I was #18), so I didn't end up getting in after all, which I am fine with because I would have declined.

Last edited:
University: Utah Valley University
Major: Behavioral Science - Psychology Emphasis
Overall GPA: 3.75
Pre-Req GPA: 3.76
GRE: V- 420 Q - 550 W - 4.0 (didn't matter for any of the schools I applied to)

OT Observation Hours: 54 (36 Outpatient Pediatric Rehab, 18 Hospital Inpatient Rehab)

Applied: Pacific University, A.T. Still University, Midwestern University (Glendale), Touro University Nevada

Acceptances: A.T. Still University

Waitlist: Pacific University (Tier 3), Midwestern University (Glendale), Touro University Nevada

Interviews: Pacific University, A.T. Still University, Midwestern University (Glendale), Touro University Nevada

I will be attending A.T. Still this fall. Super excited! Advice to those with a strong GPA: Don't rely on your GPA to get you into a program (mine almost didn't get me into one). Most of the schools that I was waitlisted at told me that what separated me from those who were accepted was the amount of observation hours. Get as many as you can. I have learned that a good GPA will get you in the door for an interview, but schools look at the candidate as a whole and each category should be bolstered as much as possible before applying.

University: Western Washington University
Overall GPA: 3.7
Prereq GPA: 3.8 to 3.9 depending on school
GRE (old version): 600 V, 650 Q, 5.0 A
OT Hours: 104 (hand therapy, elementary school, SNF, infant neurodevelopment center)

Applied: University of Washington, Eastern Washington University, Pacific University

Interviews: Eastern, Pacific

Wait-list: Pacific (Tier 1), University of Washington (#13 on wait list, notified 3/18)

Acceptances: Eastern, UW (offered admission 4/8)

Attending: UW! I'm so excited; this was my first choice! I put in my wait list # and the dates I received information because I'm hoping it will be helpful for future applicants. Also, throughout my application process, I had a current UW MOT student on this site who was so helpful and willing to answer my questions. I'd love to pay it forward! Shoot me a message, and I'd be happy to help in any way that I can!

University: Large Public University
Overall GPA: 3.65
Pre-Req GPA: 3.85 - 4.0, depending on the school

Volunteer: ~110 hours shadowing an OT at a SNF. 1000+ hours working with related (but not OT specific) nonprofits.

Applied: SUNY Downstate, NYU, Columbia
Accepted: SUNY Downstate
Wait listed: NYU, Columbia

Super thrilled to be starting at Downstate in June :)

Don't get to bogged down about the GPA. But UTMB is one of the top schools in TX. I actually think it's #1 in Texas.
TWU is looking for @ least a 3.6-3.7 on your last 60 hrs and Pre-reqs. Pre-reqs cannot have any C's.
That goes for TWU Dallas as well. Try and volunteer in diverse places!!! Good luck!

Anyone have any ideas on the best way to prepare for the GRE?

I bought the ETS book Practicing the GRE but I borrowed Cracking the new GRE test from the public library and ended up loving it. It's great for guidelines about how to write the essay. I scored well considering English is my 2nd language. Good luck. Study hard especially the last month

University: Top 10 Liberal Arts College
Major: English
Overall GPA: 3.46
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: V 700/ Q 650 / W4.0

Extra-Curric: Captain of my school's equestrian team, worked as a teacher for three years

Volunteer: 116 hours in a variety of settings

Acceptances: UIC, Sacred Heart University (attending), Shenandoah University, Bay Path College

Rejections: Towson, Howard

Interviews: Howard, Sacred Heart, Jefferson College of Health Sciences (declined)

Waitlist: University of Pittsburgh, Philadelphia University

My only advice for people applying in 2014 is to get your application in as early as possible! I submitted my application really late (submitted beginning of December and verified by OTCAS in mid-January), and one of the schools said they wished they'd gotten it earlier because the class was already full when they got to me.

Last edited:
University: Texas State University
Major: Exercise & Sports Science
Overall GPA: 3.89
Pre Req GPA: 3.73
OT Hrs: 65; hospital; pedi priviate; hand; sport
Applied: TWU Houston, UTMB, Texas Tech, UTHSCSA
Waitlisted: TWU Houston
Acceptances: UTMB; UTHSCSA
Rejections: Texas Tech
Attending: UTMB

Get your applications in early; high GPA. I was originally going the PT route; but fell in love with the OT profession during my volunteer experiences. So thankful for the opportunity as UTMB was my top choice. Good luck!

University: Elmhurst College

Major: Psychology, Minors: Sociology, Social Work

Overall GPA- 3.89

Pre-req GPA- 4.0 (just finishing up anatomy II and taking child development over the summer)

GRE: Verbal 420 & Quant 620 & Writing 4.5

Applied to: Midwestern, Rush, UIC

Interviews: Rush

Accepted: Rush, UIC (attending)

Rejected: Never heard from Midwestern

Undergraduate University: University of New Hampshire (Class of 2012)
Major: Communication Sciences and Disorders
Overall GPA: 3.80 (After OTCAS academic update)
GRE: 153 (Verbal), 150 (Quantitative), 4.0 (Analytical/Writing)

Observation Hours: 11 hours inpatient hospital, 6 hours outpatient hand therapy, 47 hours in a high school; I also have 25 observation hours in speech therapy (I had to do them for undergrad)

Applied To: University of New Hampshire, University of New England, University of Pittsburgh, Tufts, Winston Salem State University, Virginia Commonwealth University, Chatham, Bay Path, Richard Stockton

Acceptances: University of New England, University of New Hampshire, University of Pittsburgh, Winston Salem State University, Virginia Commonwealth University, Bay Path

Waitlisted: Tufts

Rejections: Richard Stockton

Interviews: Chatham (I declined the interview)

I know I applied to a lot of schools (9 in total), but I wanted to make sure I was going to end up somewhere this year after taking a year off.

I will be attending/returning to the University of New Hampshire starting this Fall :).

Undergraduate University: Canadian University
Overall GPA: 3.4
Pre-req GPA: 3.8

Observation Hours: Almost 30 in a hospital setting, 25 at a hand therapy clinic, close to 200 in pediatric outpatient setting

Jobs: Work as a special education associate and a rehab tech

Applied: Midwestern IL and AZ, A.T. Still, St. Ambrose, St. Catherine's, U of Minnesota

Acceptances: St. Ambrose (attending), A.T. Still, U of Minnesota

Waitlisted: St. Catherine's

Rejections: Midwestern IL (never heard back from them)

Interviews: A.T. Still, St. Ambrose, Midwestern AZ (declined)

For people that are applying in the future, working as a special education associate was probably one of the biggest things that helped me. I really enjoy working with my children, and I was able to draw on experiences where I had challenges and success helping my students. I think that this set the foundation that I can be an effective OT.

Last edited:
University: University of Connecticut
Major: Allied Health Sciences
Overall GPA: 3.1 (UConn undergrad GPA: 2.969...yeah, I know! :smack: )
Last 60- 3.621
Pre-Req GPA: 3.8-4.0
GRE: Didn't take it!
Hours: 500+ hours working as a rehab aid in a hospital (15 hours observing after work), 25 hours in an outpatient setting
Volunteer: I have roughly 300 hours volunteering as a patient care representative at the same hospital; Relay for Life Captain for 2 years, 100 hours volunteering at a therapy center

Applied to: Bay Path College, D'Youville College, American International College, Chatham University, USciences
Accepted: Bay Path, D'Youville, AIC
Rejected: Chatham
USciences didn't even look at my app because before they even got to my app, they already reached max. capacity.
Also with D'Youville, I got accepted really early but I denied acceptance at first because I thought I was going to get into the other schools closer to me. Since Bay Path and AIC were taking forever, and I got rejected at Chatham, I freaked out and begged D'Youville to put me on a waitlist. I just got a call from them yesterday saying there is now a spot for me. But I turned it down because.....

Attending: Bay Path College!! :D

I'm only posting my stats for the people out there who don't feel as if they are "competitive" enough, who are too afraid to get rejected. Please, please, please don't give up! If this is what you truly want to do then go for it! Apply to TONS of schools. Apply early. Stay away from OTCAS schools if your GPA is not too hot. OT schools love to see improvement so if you improved, make an emphasis of that. Say how much you matured and how much you grew from your experiences. Don't be afraid of rejection! That was my fear so that's why I didn't apply to as many schools as I should of. There are schools who have a minimum overall GPA requirement of 2.7 or 2.8. There are definitely schools that say they will consider you if you did well on your last 60. Do your research! It's a lot of work but it is totally worth it in the end! Don't give up!!! You got this!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Reactions: 2 users