GPR/AEGD vs Associate position

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SparDent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a D3 at a dental school in New York state. I am from out of state and do not plan on staying in new york so a PGY1 is not required. I also do not have family in dentistry and am planning on practicing away from my home town. The culture at my school seems to bias toward sending students into GPR/AEGD programs no matter if they are staying in NYS or not. I have recently started to think about finding and joining a practice right out of school instead of doing an AEGD/GPR. I am hoping to gain some outside perspective on what it is like to find an associate position fresh out of school and how the experience gained compares to a residency. I want to put myself in a position where I can continue to learn more about dentistry because I feel as though my experience will be very limitedly coming out of school. I would also like to know more about searching for practices and what I should look into to make sure I will be mentored.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Ask yourself honestly how your clinical education is at your dental school.

Do most students in your school that do a GPR plan on staying in New York or not? If you're coming from an academic program and most students are doing GPRs irrespective or where they want to practice then that pattern is likely for a reason

Ask yourself honestly how your clinical education is at your dental school.

Do most students in your school that do a GPR plan on staying in New York or not? If you're coming from an academic program and most students are doing GPRs irrespective or where they want to practice then that pattern is likely for a reason

I'm not really sure how my experience stacks up to other programs. I know its not as much as some but I think it is on par with many. It's just difficult to determine because I know most students at other schools do not enter into a residency for general practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently a D3 at a dental school in New York state. I am from out of state and do not plan on staying in new york so a PGY1 is not required. I also do not have family in dentistry and am planning on practicing away from my home town. The culture at my school seems to bias toward sending students into GPR/AEGD programs no matter if they are staying in NYS or not. I have recently started to think about finding and joining a practice right out of school instead of doing an AEGD/GPR. I am hoping to gain some outside perspective on what it is like to find an associate position fresh out of school and how the experience gained compares to a residency. I want to put myself in a position where I can continue to learn more about dentistry because I feel as though my experience will be very limitedly coming out of school. I would also like to know more about searching for practices and what I should look into to make sure I will be mentored.

Thanks!
I'd say joining a practice is just as beneficial as doing a GPR man. Go for it. If you really want to gain speed and skills, just do a year with a corporate chain

I would not recommend AEGD/GPR and here's why:
1. You don't get paid as much as working in private practice (You'll need capital to start your own office to make more money than being an associate). If you're happy being an associate for long term, then this doesn't matter as much.
2. Another year of school/school like environment - I was sick of school by 3rd yr (depends if you love dental school or not)
3. If you're thinking of AEGD because you're not confident of your skills or afraid of messing up - you're going to mess up at some point in your career. Do it early, just not in your own office. Whether you do it in an academic setting or corporate setting, doesn't matter so much. Ultimately your confidence will come from experience and success. Might as well make a good chunk of money for overall long-term planning and success.
4. If you're thinking of GPR for more hospital based cases, extensive cases, etc... you have to make sure you're going to want to deal with phobic patients, special needs patients, full mouth reconstructions, etc... If you don't have the patience for difficult and picky patients, probably not good to deal with patients that require sedation. At least from my experience, they are not as profitable and more likely to threaten to sue you.
5. Now you may say: I get to learn a lot more procedures: That's why we have CE if you want to learn procedures beyond dental school. As a warning, a lot of these CE courses will try to sell you on the profitability of implants, sleep apnea, or other procedures; they can be more headaches than anything else and you need to make sure they go with your office workflow.

If you really want a lot of hand holding and supervision with procedures, go w/ AEGD/GPR. If you want to maximize profitability and retire quickly, go straight to private practice.

Corporate chains are a great way to gain speed and money to start your own office.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd say joining a practice is just as beneficial as doing a GPR man. Go for it. If you really want to gain speed and skills, just do a year with a corporate chain

Joining Aspen is an idea for example vs doing a GPR - but a couple things you may want to consider. Whatever chain you're in is going to steer you in treating patients the way they find most profitable and predictable for them. It depends on your personality as well, are you comfortable enough with your clinical skills already to have the pressure of some practice manager on your back telling you to do this and do that..

I think joining a practice has its benefits and doing a GPR has its benefits. I used to think if classmates were going to work for their parents, that was the best situation and best mentor and any more residency was absolutely not necessary. But many of my friend's parents actually recommended their children do a GPR.

Honestly, many hospital based residencies are not another year of "school" that I know we all hear about while we're in dental school. It's meant for you to (hopefully) see volume, work on your skills and not have the pressure of making money for someone by working like a dog. Most dental schools from my experience, are not breeding GPs right out of dental school. But at the end of the day depends on your personality and your situation (ie. if you have a family and kids and location or finances or family plays a role that will certainly impact your decision)

I would not recommend AEGD/GPR and here's why:
1. You don't get paid as much as working in private practice (You'll need capital to start your own office to make more money than being an associate). If you're happy being an associate for long term, then this doesn't matter as much.
2. Another year of school/school like environment - I was sick of school by 3rd yr (depends if you love dental school or not)
3. If you're thinking of AEGD because you're not confident of your skills or afraid of messing up - you're going to mess up at some point in your career. Do it early, just not in your own office. Whether you do it in an academic setting or corporate setting, doesn't matter so much. Ultimately your confidence will come from experience and success. Might as well make a good chunk of money for overall long-term planning and success.
4. If you're thinking of GPR for more hospital based cases, extensive cases, etc... you have to make sure you're going to want to deal with phobic patients, special needs patients, full mouth reconstructions, etc... If you don't have the patience for difficult and picky patients, probably not good to deal with patients that require sedation. At least from my experience, they are not as profitable and more likely to threaten to sue you.
5. Now you may say: I get to learn a lot more procedures: That's why we have CE if you want to learn procedures beyond dental school. As a warning, a lot of these CE courses will try to sell you on the profitability of implants, sleep apnea, or other procedures; they can be more headaches than anything else and you need to make sure they go with your office workflow.

If you really want a lot of hand holding and supervision with procedures, go w/ AEGD/GPR. If you want to maximize profitability and retire quickly, go straight to private practice.

Corporate chains are a great way to gain speed and money to start your own office.

If you pick a program right, you won't pick one that is like school, but straight clinical practice. Many programs are not hand-holding, and many are. I know people who want that kind of close supervision, it's about the right fit for you.

At the end of the day, one more year, is just a drop in the bucket. The most, and I repeat most important thing in picking a GPR or AEGD is making sure you know the program in and out, visited it if you need to/talk to residents who are there and make sure it is exactly what you are looking for. There is such incredible variation in the programs that many are truly the same if not worse than another year of dental school.

Know what you're looking for, do your homework.

Reactions: 1 user