GPR or AEGD? Is it worth it to do one?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Destiny11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPR or AEGD? Is it worth it to do one? Any Army stories?

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard mixed things, especially if you want to specialize or not being a factor. Also that it won't count for a year of payback (though I think it might for the Army).

Most recently when I had my dental officer interview (Navy Captain (O-6), head of Pearl Harbor dental clinic), she said an AEGD is especially good if you felt dental school didn't provide a thorough enough clinical experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Absolutely 100% worth every second.

I wouldn't hesitate to do one! Worth the time!!

Not questioning either of you on whether it's worthwile alone, but what if you were accepted to Comprehensive Dentistry or some other residency, would it still be worth doing the 1 year AEGD first or at all?

In the Army if you are accepted to any other specialty then they don't let you do the 1 yr AEGD before since the timing of when the one program ends and the other starts is not in sync.

If you can do the 1 year before any residency it is helpful. I didn't do one before my compe dentistry residency, but I had practiced for 4 years. Getting extra education only helps. Understanding more about, all the other disciplines helps you in the discipline you choose.

It depends on where you went to dental school. I didn't do an AEGD or GPR, and I worked with others who did, and I really didn't see too much a difference from what I already knew from dental school and from what I learned during the "credentialing tour." If you're at a command that doesnt train a lot of new dentists then you are forced to do and learn more out of necessity.

In my humble opinion, if you want to learn more, you will whether you do a residency or not. Desire and work effort will catch up any deficiencies you may have had coming out of dental school.

Worth it. I'm currently in a 1 year AEGD, and am glad I did it. I have done a lot of procedures here I never came close to doing in dental school. I'm doing (or will be doing in the near future) tons of impacted 3rds, molar endo, CT grafts, crown lengthenings, full mouth rehabs, implants, etc. Heck, I even have a patient I'll begin limited ortho on. I look back a few months at my mindset and laugh. I can't speak for all programs, but mine is amazing.

Worth it. I'm currently in a 1 year AEGD, and am glad I did it. I have done a lot of procedures here I never came close to doing in dental school. I'm doing (or will be doing in the near future) tons of impacted 3rds, molar endo, CT grafts, crown lengthenings, full mouth rehabs, implants, etc. Heck, I even have a patient I'll begin limited ortho on. I look back a few months at my mindset and laugh. I can't speak for all programs, but mine is amazing.

Which branch and which AEGD?

Army, Ft. Sill