GPR vs OMFS internship for gap year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CardsDMDOMS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I get it that internship is more topical. My fiancée is a year behind me in medical school. We would like to apply to schools at the same time, and get into the same place, being apart for an entire residency is not an option. We are both very competitive applicants. I'm 3rd year btw.

Given the circumstances, would doing a GPR during gap year be that bad? Doing internship year two years in a row sounds just awful, and in addition, if we don't both get into the same place I would practice general dentistry for a year and then apply to wherever she gets in.

Members don't see this ad.

You already elected to do a GPR, so I'm not sure why you even posted.

it would have been far better to have done a non-categorical omfs intern year, but a gpr will not preclude you from getting into a good residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
You already elected to do a GPR, so I'm not sure why you even posted.

it would have been far better to have done a non-categorical omfs intern year, but a gpr will not preclude you from getting into a good residency.
If you're referring to another post, that was a hypothetical. Haven't committed yet.