Grade recalculation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SashKoshOMGosh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If this has already been answered, I apologize, but I couldn't find the exact same question. I took some science classes at my first institution and didn't do so hot. I grew up and got my life together and then went back and did much better the second time around, but I retook the same classes at a different university. How does AACOMAS go about calculating my GPA for those classes? I haven't submitted my applications yet (almost done), but not knowing is giving me anxiety. I assume if they were taken at the same institution that they would simply use grade replacement. Is that also how it is recalculated if they are from different institutions? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

After you input your transcript entry, there is a separate prompt where you designate retaken classes. FYI make sure to record credits as 0 for the initial classes you retook.

If you retook classes at a different institution its a little harder to get approved for grade replacement. Pre-req classes like BIO1/2, Organic Chem 1/2, Physics 1/2, genetics, cell biology are easily approved for grade replacement. Some of the convoluted ones Genetics for Public Health Majors, or random classes you took as a freshman will probably not get approved.

After you input your transcript entry, there is a separate prompt where you designate retaken classes. FYI make sure to record credits as 0 for the initial classes you retook.

If you retook classes at a different institution its a little harder to get approved for grade replacement. Pre-req classes like BIO1/2, Organic Chem 1/2, Physics 1/2, genetics, cell biology are easily approved for grade replacement. Some of the convoluted ones Genetics for Public Health Majors, or random classes you took as a freshman will probably not get approved.

The ones that are giving me trouble are the Orgo 1 and orgo lab (5 credits total) . I failed out back when I was young and stupid. They are really marring my sGPA. Have you heard of anyone getting these replaced even though they are from different schools? I am submitting my apps soon, but I my anixiety can't wait that long to find out officially what they will do. Thanks for the insight.

Members don't see this ad :)
The ones that are giving me trouble are the Orgo 1 and orgo lab (5 credits total) . I failed out back when I was young and stupid. They are really marring my sGPA. Have you heard of anyone getting these replaced even though they are from different schools? I am submitting my apps soon, but I my anixiety can't wait that long to find out officially what they will do. Thanks for the insight.

Not personally but I had a similar scenario for bio 1. Initially took a 3 +1 credit lab. Then took a 4 +0 lab at a different school. It was approved

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the weong place but I just saw this on Western U's website and I'm pretty concerned bc I plan on applying there and I have been spending the past 2 years retaking classes for grade replacement. Any thoughts on this? I know that your old grade doesn't disappear and they can still count against you, but I genuinely thought that a new grade of equivalent or higher credits replaces the old one. This is straight off the medical school's website, so now I'm pretty worried. Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_3643.jpg
    IMG_3643.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 68

I had mine replaced. Took 5 hour Orgo 1&2.... bad grades. Took 4 hour Orgo 1&2 at a different school, and these replaced the lower grades. Be careful and read all of the AACOMAS instructions carefully on filing for grade replacement. If you mess up, they won't fix them if they are from different schools (but will if they are from the same school)

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the weong place but I just saw this on Western U's website and I'm pretty concerned bc I plan on applying there and I have been spending the past 2 years retaking classes for grade replacement. Any thoughts on this? I know that your old grade doesn't disappear and they can still count against you, but I genuinely thought that a new grade of equivalent or higher credits replaces the old one. This is straight off the medical school's website, so now I'm pretty worried. Thank you

Since they explicitly mention AACOMAS' calculation which allows replacing a repeated grade, I think you're fine. I believe they are referring to an average of all your science, non-science, undergrad and post-bacc work, not an average of both attempts of a certain class.

I'm not sure what that is, but AACOMAS definitely does grade replacement. They may have just worded that incorrectly.

I'm not sure what that is, but AACOMAS definitely does grade replacement. They may have just worded that incorrectly.
Since they explicitly mention AACOMAS' calculation which allows replacing a repeated grade, I think you're fine. I believe they are referring to an average of all your science, non-science, undergrad and post-bacc work, not an average of both attempts of a certain class.
OH! That just clicked. They mean, including grade replacement WITHIN that rule. Thank you :)

I sent AACOMAS an email because I wanted a response in writing, but no answer after several
Days. Can anyone shed light on this for me? I'm trying to figure out my schedule for next semester.

I took intro honors sociology my freshman year, and want to retake the course this spring. However, my new institution does not offer the honors level of the course. Would a course called "Sociology 110, Introduction to Sociology" from one institution replace a course called "Sociol101-H, Introduction to Sociology" from a different institution in terms of grade replacement?