Grade replacement question..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danielbryanheel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Original course:

BIOL 1240. General Biology-Science Majors. Basic biological principles and concepts as they apply to all levels of organization.

*The above course is actually Gen. Bio. II//Gen. Bio. I is BIOL 1230 at this university and is a pre-req. for BIOL 1240*

Potential re-take course at different university:

BIOS 1073. Biology II. This course explores principles of genetics, evolution, systematics, ecology, diversity, plant growth and development, animal nutrition, development and physiology. This course is intended for College of Sciences and College of Education majors.

Am planning on applying next cycle. So, can the potential retake course replace the original course as per the AACOMAS grade replacement policy?

Thanks all.

Members don't see this ad.

Was wondering myself who to contact if you're looking to retake a course, but not near applying to DO school and taking them at a different school than the original course was taken. Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes it would

Thanks.

I have just taken "BIOS 1073" at this different university this past fall.
However, the course was titled "Biodiversity" instead of "Biology II" at the time. This spring semester, it's (BIOS 1073) titled "Biology II." But I think it's just an university naming procedure between fall and spring semesters.

Edit: The BIOS 1073 entitled "Biodiversity" was re-taken at this different university to replace the grade I earned in the Biodiversity course I took at the original institution (BIOL 2000, at original institution).

Will this cause any issues with AACOMAS grade replacement?

Last edited:
Thanks.

I have just taken "BIOS 1073" at this different university this past fall.
However, the course was titled "Biodiversity" instead of "Biology II" at the time. This spring semester, it's (BIOS 1073) titled "Biology II." But I think it's just an university naming procedure between fall and spring semesters.

Edit: The BIOS 1073 entitled "Biodiversity" was re-taken at this different university to replace the grade I earned in the Biodiversity course I took at the original institution (BIOL 2000, at original institution).

Will this cause any issues with AACOMAS grade replacement?

Wait..was your original course a Bio II class or a biology elective called Biodiversity?

If the original is a standard Bio II class taken by bio majors and prehealth students, then the retake, if taken at a a different school, is expected to be the Bio II course taken by bio majors and prehealth students of that school. If names do cause confusion, then you have valid grounds to address any issues that might arise by simply providing reference to the two schools' course catalogs.

Wait..was your original course a Bio II class or a biology elective called Biodiversity?

So, Basically, I have to re-take both courses, but one course (Biodiversity) is offered in the fall as "BIOS 1073" and the second course is offered in the spring as the same "BIOS 1073."

Biodiversity
Original course at university 1: Biodiversity (BIOL 2000)
Re-take course at university 2 Fall 2015: Biodiversity (BIOS 1073)

General Biology/Biology II
Original course at university 1: General Biology (BIOL 1240)
Re-rake course at university 2 Spring 2016: Biology II (BIOS 1073)

So, both re-take courses have "BIOS 1073" as the course prefix and number at university 2, but are offered during different semesters at said university.

Hope all this makes sense and clarifies things. :)

Omg lol. Brain is spinning here.

So at university 2, they offer a class called BioDiversity with prefix of Bios1073 in the fall. But then, another course, Bio II, is taught in the spring but takes the prefix Bios1073 from the Biodiversity class. Did I get that right?

That is..weird if I understood it so. So is Bio II not offered in the fall then? The issue I see with your retakes is that while the course titles do match nearly identically with those of your original courses, the problem is that the two classes share the same prefix and course code between fall and spring season. You may be accused of attempting to use one course to repeat one original, and then retaking the same course to repeat a second original course. This deserves a call to aacomas and you should directly ask for a supervisor or such because the initial reps on the phone aren't all up to date with their own rules.i imagine maybe a letter from Union 2 stating that the courses are different despite having the same prefix and code.

Maybe an email is better warranted here as explaining your situation in words can be a bit confusing. Good luck

Did I get that right?

Yes, you did! And it is weird..lol.

And yeah,....bio II is not offered in the fall and ONLY in the spring semester.

Thanks again, I will try and e-mail them.

Reactions: 1 user
Another grade replacement question....

Original course at university:

BIOL 3081 Medical Microbiology
Study of various human pathogens, with emphasis on basic biology and the host-pathogen interaction. *Laboratory consists of selected exercises relevant to the culture and manipulation of bacterial pathogens and other microorganisms.

*Extra information listed, which is irrelevant b/c I did not take the lab component due to it not being offered at the time for whatever reason.

Potential retake course at different university:

BIOS 4713 Advanced Microbiology
A study of the three domains of life: Bacteria, Archea, and Eukarya, emphasizing the diversity and evolution of these organisms. This course will also stress the topics of Microbial cell structure, metabolism, ecology, genetics, virology, and pathogenesis with emphasis on our current understanding of how microorganisms communicate with and adapt to their environment on a molecular level. This course is designed for students interested in post-graduate work in medicine, biotechnology, or research in molecular and cell biology as well as microbiology.

Both are 3 semester credit hours lectures.

Thanks.

Another grade replacement question....

Original course at university:

BIOL 3081 Medical Microbiology
Study of various human pathogens, with emphasis on basic biology and the host-pathogen interaction. *Laboratory consists of selected exercises relevant to the culture and manipulation of bacterial pathogens and other microorganisms.

*Extra information listed, which is irrelevant b/c I did not take the lab component due to it not being offered at the time for whatever reason.

Potential retake course at different university:

BIOS 4713 Advanced Microbiology
A study of the three domains of life: Bacteria, Archea, and Eukarya, emphasizing the diversity and evolution of these organisms. This course will also stress the topics of Microbial cell structure, metabolism, ecology, genetics, virology, and pathogenesis with emphasis on our current understanding of how microorganisms communicate with and adapt to their environment on a molecular level. This course is designed for students interested in post-graduate work in medicine, biotechnology, or research in molecular and cell biology as well as microbiology.

Both are 3 semester credit hours lectures.

Thanks.

I'd say that's a much safer bet than your bio 2/biodiversity duo.

Reactions: 1 user
It should work. Also AACOMAS uses Liaison, which they basically use the the honor system. They will not confirm nor deny the reliability of the classes for grade replacement...So with that said, just keep to the general rule for credit to credit and material to material. So basically don't expect a 3 credit course to replace a 5 credit, and don't expect Bio 101 to replace Cell Bio 301 etc.

It should work. Also AACOMAS uses Liaison, which they basically use the the honor system. They will not confirm nor deny the reliability of the classes for grade replacement...So with that said, just keep to the general rule for credit to credit and material to material. So basically don't expect a 3 credit course to replace a 5 credit, and don't expect Bio 101 to replace Cell Bio 301 etc.

Okay, thanks!