Grade Replacement Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doogie Howser

practicing since age 12
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok so heres my situation.

because of bad decisions on my part during one semester, my GPA isn't looking as nice as it should. Infact, its the prereqs which my bad decision affected directly. I ended up getting a C+ in Bio II and a C in Chem II. My major is bio/life sciences. My university doesn't allow for grade replacements with a C in the course, so my question is should I take these classes over not to get the grade replaced, but to prove to the admissions committee that I can excel in these courses? or will my upper level bio classes show that i'm fine with biology and my A's in Orgo I and II, along with biochem and other chemistry related courses be more than enough for the admissions committee.

I want to ensure that its not bad decisions from one semester of my life will not affect my life dreams of becoming a doctor.

Thank you for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

you'll be fine by getting those A's in upper science classes. so don't worry about retaking. worry about getting those A's...good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
idq1i said:
Don't be guided by "proving it to the admission committee."

Prove it to yourself - excel in upper level courses and you will be set.

i would like to be able to just prove it to myself, but unfortunately in our chosen career paths we must also prove ourselves before an admissions committee

Do your best, and I would recommend a good antianxiety medication because it sounds like you're headed for a case of generalized anxiety disorder with obsessive compulsive tendencies (better known as "premed syndrome").

Praetorian said:
Do your best, and I would recommend a good antianxiety medication because it sounds like you're headed for a case of generalized anxiety disorder with obsessive compulsive tendencies (better known as "premed syndrome").

I am gonna need one of those pills soon!

Why? Is it really necessary to be that high strung about things?

I read an article recently in the Journal of Clinical Investigation that defined and explained "pre-medical syndrome". I kept nodding my head and decided I have it :(

yea sorry for worrying about my future, because you know.... its not all that big of a deal :hardy:

There's a difference between being concerned and being a neurotic little b-tch. You aren't to this point- and hopefully won't get there- but a lot of people toe the line of sanity and cross it too frequently when it comes to their aspirations to be a doc. Concern is normal response and is quite healthy, but when it starts costing people sleep or when they think the world has ended because of a single B or C (or even a couple) then there is something manifestly unhealthy about that.