Grade replacement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Angie1789

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'd really appreciate some help/insight. Is the grade for each repeated course listed on the aacomas application? I know the newest grade is factored into your gpa but do schools see the individual grades for each time you took the grade? Im considering retaking two classes. Would these repeats be looked at unfavorably by adcoms and possibly hurt my chances of being a really strong applicant in this aspect? With the repeats i'd have a 3.6 gpa. Thanks for any help you guys can give me!

Members don't see this ad.

Retake the classes. Yes they an see all takes of a class. No it won't hurt you in the slightest

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place but I just saw this on Western U's website and I'm pretty concerned bc I plan on applying there and I have been spending the past 2 years retaking classes for grade replacement. Any thoughts on this? I know that your old grade doesn't disappear and they can still count against you, but I genuinely thought that a new grade of equivalent or higher credits replaces the old one. This is straight off the medical school's website, so now I'm pretty worried. Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_3643.jpg
    IMG_3643.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 69
I don't understand what your concern is. AACOMAS handles all GPA calculations and they calculate your average GPA. They will replace the old grade with the new grade if the classes are equivalent.

Edit: after re-reading that snipet I see where you are confused. I don't know why they say average, because AACOMAS will do the grade replacement

Reactions: 1 user
I see where the confusion is. In that picture the "average" they are referring to is after the grade replacement. When inputting grades the courses that are repeated will be listed for "0" credits therefore will not affect your "average". Hope that clears things up!

I don't understand what your concern is. AACOMAS handles all GPA calculations and they calculate your average GPA. They will replace the old grade with the new grade if the classes are equivalent.

Edit: after re-reading that snipet I see where you are confused. I don't know why they say average, because AACOMAS will do the grade replacement
Speaking of equivalent. I got a C in Bio 101 (5 credits) at a CC but an A (4 credits) at a Uni. So now I have to retake it again at a CC just to replace it?

Speaking of equivalent. I got a C in Bio 101 (5 credits) at a CC but an A (4 credits) at a Uni. So now I have to retake it again at a CC just to replace it?

You will need to email AACOMAS most likely but generally a higher credit class cannot be replaced by a lower credit class

You will need to email AACOMAS most likely but generally a higher credit class cannot be replaced by a lower credit class
Yeah I read from other threads that that is the case. I just think that it is slightly redundant to retake it for a third time.

They no longer require it to be a higher credit class if you retake it and it's less credits the 2nd time. I believe this is a fairly new change. I contacted them and asked because I had the same question and they basically said it's up to you to determine if it's the equivalent course. They're just kind of leaving it to our discretion now, which feels weird but I'm fine with it!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

They no longer require it to be a higher credit class if you retake it and it's less credits the 2nd time. I believe this is a fairly new change. I contacted them and asked because I had the same question and they basically said it's up to you to determine if it's the equivalent course. They're just kind of leaving it to our discretion now, which feels weird but I'm fine with it!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
That's actually really great to hear! Did you contact AACOMAS?

That's actually really great to hear! Did you contact AACOMAS?
Yup! I emailed them directly. I saw a few people one SDN mention the new change to so I confirmed with AACOMAS because I'm retaking a few classes next spring for grade replacement at a different school. Here is AACOMAS email response to my question:

"We do not set guidelines for what counts as repeated coursework across different institutions. We therefore do not view the course descriptions to
determine this either. If you believe that this is a repeated course, then you will just need to zero out the credits of the first attempt and mark it as
repeated. We will honor these determinations."

That was in response to asking about taking a class that is 2 units to replace a class that was 3 units. As far as I can tell they're leaving it up to our discretion...I'm stil just making sure the course descriptions are very similar so there won't be any issues if they do look into it further.

Reactions: 1 user
Yup! I emailed them directly. I saw a few people one SDN mention the new change to so I confirmed with AACOMAS because I'm retaking a few classes next spring for grade replacement at a different school. Here is AACOMAS email response to my question:

"We do not set guidelines for what counts as repeated coursework across different institutions. We therefore do not view the course descriptions to
determine this either. If you believe that this is a repeated course, then you will just need to zero out the credits of the first attempt and mark it as
repeated. We will honor these determinations."

That was in response to asking about taking a class that is 2 units to replace a class that was 3 units. As far as I can tell they're leaving it up to our discretion...I'm stil just making sure the course descriptions are very similar so there won't be any issues if they do look into it further.
Thanks for sharing! I took Chemistry 101 at a CC and a UNI so I know for sure the description matches haha