Grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chrsburr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few questions. First, How does the American Association of Osteopathic Medical Colleges figure in grades for classes a person Cleps (is awarded college level placement) out of. Also, How do they figure in a grade if a person got a C and repeated the class and got an A. Just wondering, and would appreciate any incite.

Members don't see this ad.

Chrsburr,

The answers to both of your questions are in the AACOMAS manual that comes with the AACOMAS application. I don't remember the answer to the Cleps question, but in answer to the second. AACOMAS throws out the lower grade when you retake a class. Only the highest grade is computed into you GPA. ACOMAS (MD) averages all the retakes into your GPA.

------------------
DocGibby
MSUCOM class of 2004

Is that true??!!

I didn't know that! Wow--if it is, that will raise my effective GPA quite a bit!

(I got C's in Physics, Chemistry as a freshman--retook 'em as a post-bacc and got all A's B-) )

Members don't see this ad :)
whoa there, chief... I do not know if that applies to courses taken at other schools or not, so your best bet is to actually call the folks at AACOM and ask...

That's a good point--one which I immediately considered, because they were indeed at different schools.

Looking at the computerized app for last year, it does not give any clear answer to this point in the directions. It does, however, ask you to clearly indicate which classes were repeated to better your grade, which makes me think it doesn't matter if they were at different schools or not.

Perhaps someone could shed light on the subject without us having to break down and pester some poor secretary for an answer?

I should have specified the previous post. They take the highest grade in a particular class during your undergrad years at the same school. Different schools is probably a completely different matter. Especially since many schools don't have "equivalent" courses. I would speculate that they would average into your overall gpa rather than replacing on another.

Just call AACOMAS for the answer to that one. That's what they're there for.

No, AACOMAS uses the most recent courses as long as it is the same title and subject matter. The title doesn't have to be the same exactly, as long as the subject matter taught is the same (the level doesn't have to be the same either). The school is irrelevant. You can replace a course with a community college course as well. How do I know? I did it. Went from a 2.3 to a 3.3 (3.5 Sci) and was accepted. Took a lot of work, but we all create our own destiny now don't we. One note, all original grades are on the AACOMAS transcript so there is no hiding past performance. Only the GPA average is changed in the OVERALL block. Undergrad GPA remain the same except where a class was replaced. All the post-bacc work is calculated in the post-bacc section. Graduate work in calculated to increase your overall GPA as well. Not professional courses, however. There is no one who knows AACOMAS better than I (except for maybe someone who works there) so please feel free to as any questions.

[This message has been edited by EW5817 (edited 02-26-2000).]

Hey, thanks a lot, EW!

I am encouraged by your post. I am sort of similar. I have a 2.87 undergrad (English), a 3.85 graduate (M. Ed, Eng. Ed), and a 4.0 post-bacc (all science/math, includes re-takes of Physics 1, Chem 1 and 2).

So it is encouraging to hear that these will raise my GPA some.

Thanks again.

I feel very relieved. I have a hope to go to medical school. However, please read my new message I'm posting and give me good suggestions.. Thanks!