Graduate Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scuzfly

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it matter which program I enter for graduate school if my goals are dental? MBA? Biochem? Neuro? Does anyone with a graduate degree in a non-science field have an opinion on this? I'm considering an MBA and applying to dental school after. Take a couple science courses while doing masters to stay fresh

Members don't see this ad.

I think it would matter if you do a non-science degree and then apply for dental. it just brings you further away from the field, unless you are hoping to combine dentistry and your mba in some way. Basicalyl it will just make the schools wonder if you actually want to do dentistry if you arent staying in the sciences.
Im finishing up a MSc this year in Dentistry (pretty much just molecular biology in the orthodontic field) but the schools have seen that I didnt give up after not getting into Canadian schools in 2007 and that I just got more involved in the dental field.
Just one persons opinion tho

I figured they would look at it more positively. You are running a business when you graduate dental school so the more prepared you are the better. I've seen people on predents with all kinds of science degrees but a few that get in have different degrees. I guess if one of them reads this they can talk about it more.

I can see how they might think it would pull you away from the sciences but if you could work in some science classes it could work. I don't see too much microbiology being practiced in a dental office like it is in a research lab.

Members don't see this ad :)
First off you have to consider why are you getting a masters. If it is to boost the GPA then it should be in the sciences proving you can handle graduate science courses. If it is to kill time and you grades are good with a strong science background then go for the MBA. It will broaden you horizons and give you an edge to running a practice and managing patients and staff. However most MBA programs that are worth their salt require two years of experience between undergrad graduation and entrance to the MBA program.

so why did you get your minor in bus. admin?

I was working on that minor before I knew I wanted to be a dentist. Also at my school getting that minor was only a couple of extra classes and filled my gen ed requirements which were lacking in my microbio major. However I hope it will help in practice management and they say that doctors make the worst business men so it can only help. I am getting my Masters in Cell and Molecular bio because my sGPA is low.

It won't hurt to have it just make sure you have all your bases covered before you dive in, that's all I am saying.

I don't see too much microbiology being practiced in a dental office like it is in a research lab.
Well firstly the study of microbiology is dentistry - bacteria, plaque, etc
but I myself am doing molecular biology, and am putting orthodontic appliances on mice, something that has shown my dexterity quite clearly to dental schools, as well as subsequent knowledge of the periodontal tissues, their structure, function, and specific periodontal cells in immense detail.
It may seem that sometimes a Masters degree in science can take you even further from the sciences required for dentistry, but if you find the right area it can be very beneficial.
Then again I am sure business would be crazy helpful, and something that I know lots of medical professionals struggle with, so you could have the leg up.
Good luck with the masters whichever route you choose, no matter what you pick I think a Masters will make you stand otu from other applicants

I was told at the University of Minnesota that they encourage all sorts of degrees. They said that 60-70% of the people that apply are biology majors and while there's nothing wrong with that it doesn't set them apart from other applicants. A girl that was in the dental program that was talking about what they do on a regular basis and why she was interested in dentistry said that she had a degree in art, so I think schools are OK with a lot of different majors.

I said micro just because they aren't taking swabs and checking bacteria levels. I know they keep things sterile but it's just not to the extent that the undergraduate courses are.

I was thinking about a kid I knew going to med school....MUSIC MAJOR but every elective he took was a pre req for med school. Had a SMOKING HOT GPA in everythind and he told me the same thing about applicants...imagine how many are a science major, now how many are an art major? I was thinking about MBA because either way with a grad degree I'd have more of an edge on someone and MBA can help in dentistry OR industry.