Graduated with a low GPA, in need of advice about post bacc and future plans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cewu0102

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I recently graduated from UCSD in biochemistry and cell bio with a gpa of 2.45 and a science gpa of 2.0 where I got a majority of Bs and Cs in my science classes. I talked to my counselor at school and they suggested that I try to go to do some volunteer work for a year and then consider a post bacc program. I found out that majority of the post bacc program has a 3.0 minimum where I know I won't qualified and I have no idea what to do.
I am currently trying to enroll in Americrop to work with non-profits to just volunteer and get something rolling instead of just sitting around doing nothing. I was wondering if it would work if I go to a community college to retake my science classes would help with applying to a post bacc program? Or should I just give up and try to work at something else instead?

Thanks yall

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I recently graduated from UCSD in biochemistry and cell bio with a gpa of 2.45 and a science gpa of 2.0 where I got a majority of Bs and Cs in my science classes. I talked to my counselor at school and they suggested that I try to go to do some volunteer work for a year and then consider a post bacc program. I found out that majority of the post bacc program has a 3.0 minimum where I know I won't qualified and I have no idea what to do.
I am currently trying to enroll in Americrop to work with non-profits to just volunteer and get something rolling instead of just sitting around doing nothing. I was wondering if it would work if I go to a community college to retake my science classes would help with applying to a post bacc program? Or should I just give up and try to work at something else instead?

Thanks yall

any interests other than medisine?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

1. Address the issue with your poor performance.
2. Consider/calculate how long it will take you to get a competitive GPA
3. Consider how bad you want medicine and if you would be happy with PA/ Pod/pharm/ RN/ etc.
You are looking at a minimum of two years at 4.0, most likely more.

Members don't see this ad :)
3 years nothing but As. How bad u want it?

I really wanted to be in medicine, I have wanted it to be a doctor since I was 14. But as I went to college, I was diagnosed with depression anxiety. I always did fine on the midterms with As but as soon as I have to take the final, I have so much anxiety and pressure to get an A again I fail the final no matter how hard I study. When I got to a better place, it was too late to pull up grades.

I am down to go back and 3 or more years of getting a 4.0 because honestly I can't see myself doing anything else. So if I would like to do that could I retake my upper division science at a cal state or a community college because I read that I could only do that at a 4 college? If so if I plan to retake all my science classes to pull my gpa up should I do a cal state?

I'd start at cc, don't rush it and master your emotions. Forget about the past, work to make sure you have the bona fides at the time you apply. Transfer to uni if you want later on. Do not let time haunt you, I'm 32 and won't be applying till next cycle. So take the time and do it right. If it is not something you want to do, you will find out along the way. most cc don't offer upper div. you can retake all your lower div at cc then transfer to uni for upper div.

Reactions: 1 user
I really wanted to be in medicine, I have wanted it to be a doctor since I was 14. But as I went to college, I was diagnosed with depression anxiety. I always did fine on the midterms with As but as soon as I have to take the final, I have so much anxiety and pressure to get an A again I fail the final no matter how hard I study. When I got to a better place, it was too late to pull up grades.

I am down to go back and 3 or more years of getting a 4.0 because honestly I can't see myself doing anything else. So if I would like to do that could I retake my upper division science at a cal state or a community college because I read that I could only do that at a 4 college? If so if I plan to retake all my science classes to pull my gpa up should I do a cal state?
Use a Amcas GPA calculator to find how many credits you need to get to an acceptable GPA. If it's say 64 credits you don't have to take at least 2 years to do it. Just go ham spring summer fall winter and you should be close to the amount you need, with all A's of course. You'll have a great upward trend and if you kill the mcat you could be good shape. You can start at cc to get back in the groove of studying properly, that sounds cool.

Thanks yall
Go look up my posts on guide to reinvention

Reactions: 1 user