futuredoctor1995

2+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2015
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hello guys! I don't know how many people have asked this question before, butt my question is pretty general. I have a 3.45 and I am a bio major in my Junior year. I need 20 credits to graduate and I was wondering if it would be a good idea to graduate early (end of my Junior year so this year)? I got a 4.0 last semester and I can't decide if I should just graduate and then study for the DAT or stay another year maybe improve my GPA like I did last semester? What would be a good thing to do? I feel like its so hard to study for the DAT during the school year but I also want to not take a another year gap and be behind. Thanks!

Feb 21, 2014
Status
Dental Student
I would have to disagree and say don't take the gap year and improve your GPA to maximize your chances. If you are applying next cycle, you might as well spend 1 year in school instead of 2 years of gap. In my opinion, it looks lazy if you have 2 years off for doing nothing when you could have been improving your GPA/club involvement/research. You can study for and take the DAT this upcoming summer

Reactions: The real 007

Incis0r

I LOVE Dental School
5+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2014
Alterac Valley
Assuming you continue a 4.0 trend this junior year, basic calculations prove that your GPA will rise up to 3.56 by the end of the year, which makes you a competitive GPA applicant.

If this were me, and I had the chance to graduate early, save some $$, and study the DAT on my own time, I'm jump on it. So I agree with @SXCoronado . Plus you can have some fun- this is your life after all! So graduate early, complete your DAT well, set up your application well in advance of the cycle, and then work/travel/chill to your heart's content.

Reactions: SXCoronado