This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemdoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just finished my freshman year. I have like a 3.72 GPA, taking summer courses and volunteering. I was wondering, I'm class of 2020 btw, how beneficial would it be for me to graduate early? In 2019 spring and then do a one year Masters program? In four years, I'd get a BS and a Masters, and apply to MD schools, in Fall 2019, while my Masters is in completion.

I just feel like it's the best route to go right now. Thank you. Please let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

What's the financial differential? Is a master's going to be significantly more expensive (usually no fin. aid for these)? As far as impressing med schools, master's don't give you any "wow" factor. Only do it if you'd actually prefer that over a year of undergrad.

I completed Undergrad in three years to save money, not to save time. I took two gap years post-grad to enter the workforce, volunteer, do research, and enjoy life. I applied to medical school when I felt ready. It's not a sprint.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't fall into the trap of thinking that more degrees make you more competitive. If you think you can graduate in 3 years with a 3.7+ I say go for it and save your money. But I would make sure you have plenty of experiences before you apply to medical school. The average age of M1s is increasing and more people are taking gap years doing research, volunteering, working, etc.
You could always just take a breath and do 4 years of undergrad. I could have graduated a semester or two early but I decided to spread out my classes for 4 years and add a minor (and even take a few classes I didn't need to, but was just interested in). You don't want to end up regretting not staying for senior year - it can be really fun if you make it.

Rule 1: Take a Breath

Pushing to graduate early and earn a masters believing that this may impress adcoms is not always the case

1) Many schools are not keen are summer prerequisite coursework
Frequently Asked Questions | College of Medicine | SUNY Upstate Medical University
Applicants should avoid taking more than one or two prerequisite science courses during the summer and avoid taking them at community colleges.

2) Pushing to complete coursework may not leave you sufficient time for volunteering/community service, clinical/healthcare experience, shadowing, research, and other ECs.

3) It also may not leave sufficient time to prepare for MCAT, which is as vital as GPA

4) Working on a masters may not have significant impact on your admissions chances and doing so during application year presents issues. You must leave enough time to work on secondary application as well as travel and interviews with can lead to scheduling problems

5) Lastly, taking a masters does pose a risk in that many medical schools will require that you complete the masters before matriculating. If you doing a masters that requires a thesis or research, it is easy to get delayed and not complete on time

In sum, I am not a fan of students pushing hard on completing the academic side early and losing sight of all the other factors, and time these factors may take, in order to be a successful applicant

It's not a masters that requires a thesis. It's kind of like a special masters program. And really? I read that adcoms don't care if you take the courses in the summer. I posted a thread a few months ago. Because it's not at a community college, it's at my college and the professors are really good. Yeah I volunteer a lot right now and I understand what you're saying. I just feel like graduating early is the right way to go. Also not just to save money by time as well. Maybe instead of a masters, I'd take a gap year?

What's the financial differential? Is a master's going to be significantly more expensive (usually no fin. aid for these)? As far as impressing med schools, master's don't give you any "wow" factor. Only do it if you'd actually prefer that over a year of undergrad.

I feel like I would rather do it, instead of a year of undergrad.

What's the $ for the SMP, vs for two more semesters? Can you just take some of the grad level classes while a Senior?

I mean I'd save a bit of money. Not a ridiculous amount but still would save some.

Alright so if it will cost more, and you could take most of the classes anyways during your Senior year, what's the motivation to get the master's?

Alright so if it will cost more, and you could take most of the classes anyways during your Senior year, what's the motivation to get the master's?
Idk if I can take them during my senior year. And because, in case MD schools don't work out, I'd still get a decent job with a masters as opposed to just a bachelors. And it wouldn't look better to have a Masters?

I think doing research for senior year would be a better idea than master. Master in science is overall pretty pointless from my opinion...Also the things you will learn in lab as a research assistant while getting paid would not be significantly different from as a master student while paying for it...it's research no matter how. But if your school has some combined MS-BS program and covers tuition for master for you then that sounds like a good deal.

Idk if I can take them during my senior year. And because, in case MD schools don't work out, I'd still get a decent job with a masters as opposed to just a bachelors. And it wouldn't look better to have a Masters?
Med schools don't care, a masters might help you build your app if it is research oriented, but a masters that is just biomed-related coursework is not going to impress any more than taking undergrad upper-levels. In fact grad school grading is notorious for being inflated - you're better off just making straight A's in university, if impressing med schools is the goal.

If you see yourself getting a job with this masters/have reason to expect MD to fall through and that would be your second choice of career, then sure it makes sense.

Med schools don't care, a masters might help you build your app if it is research oriented, but a masters that is just biomed-related coursework is not going to impress any more than taking undergrad upper-levels. In fact grad school grading is notorious for being inflated - you're better off just making straight A's in university, if impressing med schools is the goal.

If you see yourself getting a job with this masters/have reason to expect MD to fall through and that would be your second choice of career, then sure it makes sense.

I honestly have no clue what to do. I hate my college so I wanna graduate early honestly. I just feel like a special masters program would be beneficial. I always thought it'd look better and just in case, MD doesn't work, get a job on it.

I think doing research for senior year would be a better idea than master. Master in science is overall pretty pointless from my opinion...Also the things you will learn in lab as a research assistant while getting paid would not be significantly different from as a master student while paying for it...it's research no matter how. But if your school has some combined MS-BS program and covers tuition for master for you then that sounds like a good deal.

Yeah I have an RA position waiting for me anyway... So not sure

Well you can def cross out the expectation of looking more impressive to med schools. The only academic credentials they care about is your GPA in your undergrad work and your MCAT score! If you could get an interesting research/clinical/whatever position for the year instead, so you make a bunch of $ instead of spending a bunch on tuition while also building up the non-academic side of your app in a big way, that would be a good alternative imo.