Graduating fellowship and feeling euphoric

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marasmus1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
As of today, I am done with training part of my career. In the last couple of weeks, I have been feeling this growing excitement and energy in me as I was coming close to an end. Euphoria intermixed with optimism. Feeling like the breath I am inhaling is cleaner and the colors are more intense. Feeling much more connected to life and universe. (Folks who experimented with psilocybin would know exactly what I have been feeling). Feeling quite intoxicated. I did not enjoy my training experience neither in residency nor in fellowship. I struggled quite a lot (not academically but the demands and constraints of being a trainee) So I am pretty much feeling like reanimated patient after a difficult surgery. Starting my academic outpatient child psychiatry gig in three weeks;

No more countless number of supervisors and bosses with OCPD traits (Only outpatient director and chairman both of whom appear to be quite reasonable guys)
No more being a punchbag of some attendings, senior residents, social workers, nurses and even techs
No more unpaid labor on weekends
No more outrageous salary
No more need for a book size H/P s and progress notes
Overall, much more autonomy and respect
Opportunity to work with pathologies I am interested rather than I am assigned
Having 8 weeks of PTO rather than 3 -4 weeks max
Flexibility to make my own outpatient schedule rather than being forced to comply with somebody else`s schedule
Opportunity to do my masters and/or PHD tuition free

Am I just living in a dream like state and need to be grounded back to reality? There are some young and seasoned attendings in this forum. I am wondering how you felt during this transition ? It would be good to be grounded back to reality in case I have been just hallucinating/dreaming as I can not take another blow and disappointment at this point.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just don't get crushed, and beaten with the Lucille bat of burn out, by taking on a soul sucking job with a Big Box shop that you over apply your new found fountain of jubilation towards...

Choose your first gig wisely

Reactions: 1 users
post-training life is a million times better, and i liked my residency and fellowship experience. with that being said, i'm in private practice and not at a Big Box Shop.

Reactions: 3 users
There's plenty of poop to every job (that's why they call it a job and you get paid for it), but rather than list that all out for you, I completely agree that attending life is better. I do miss some aspects of training (like the peer comradery and amount of spoon feed learning specifically), but life is pretty great nowadays so I certainly wouldn't generally complain about anything.

I'm done now too. Feels real weird.
Wait until you start seeing patients. First day as an attending in the ER I saw a patient and started walking around trying to figure out who I needed to staff with until I realized, "Oh, right...."

Reactions: 2 users
Woo! No keep up the hype.
Even on the worst day, it's still better than residency. Somehow between PGY4 year and becoming an attending, suddenly you're a valuable asset who gets to control your own schedule and can leave whenever you want and work somewhere else. It's delicious.

Woo! No keep up the hype.
Even on the worst day, it's still better than residency. Somehow between PGY4 year and becoming an attending, suddenly you're a valuable asset who gets to control your own schedule and can leave whenever you want and work somewhere else. It's delicious.

i really liked 3rd and 4th year, actually more than being an attending lol. But it was pretty chill and low stress. I did not like making a low salary though at the time..

Reactions: 1 user
i really liked 3rd and 4th year, actually more than being an attending lol. But it was pretty chill and low stress. I did not like making a low salary though at the time..
Pretty big happiness bump from 55-60k to attending salary for sure. Also a big one for having all loans paid of for certain people (like myself).

Reactions: 1 user