Graduating medical students should be allowed to challenge the PA exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
MD/PA does not sound very wise. It makes a lot more sense to just do a 1 year internship. This will qualify you (in my state) to get an independent medical license. There are several decent paying clinical jobs for people who only have a license to practice medicine (no board eligibility or certification) . Examples are ER, walk in clinics, phone consults for isolated work places (e.g. oil rig workers), prison doctor. I have seen people who couldn't complete residency open a medical "spa" that does laser hair removal and other skin treatments. And, you probably could find a PCP or some other board certified practitioner to employ you as a supervised practitioner (basically be a PA), but you'd likely get paid more than a PA, because you would be able to bill better. Most of the job opportunities for non-BE/BC physicians are going to trend towards rural or undesirable areas. But, without the internship (and this may vary state to state) you can't get an individual medical license, you can only get a training permit.

I should add that not going through with the standard BE/BC path does present some challenges and limitations with getting hospital privileges and professional liability insurance. I am in no way saying these are equally accepted options, but I am aware of people that went these routes for various reasons.