GRE exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

audiology

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel so doomed. I just finished up a kaplan express course and I'm panicking. I think I will really bomb the math section of the GRE. No beating around the bush...if my GRE score is really low, will my app be automatically tossed? I don't have much more time--I'm taking the dumb exam on the 19th. Sigh. I haven't taken a freakin math class in over ten years, I didn't think it would come to haunt me. The only school that doesn't look at GRE scores is NOVA. Does anyone know how many students they accept into their program? I can't wait until this is all over. I am actually dreaming about GREs and schools every night now. :cry::cry:

Members don't see this ad.

The last math course I had taken was my senior year of high school. It's mostly common sense rather than remembering formulas and such. Just relax and think things through and you'll be fine.

I feel so doomed. I just finished up a kaplan express course and I'm panicking. I think I will really bomb the math section of the GRE. No beating around the bush...if my GRE score is really low, will my app be automatically tossed? I don't have much more time--I'm taking the dumb exam on the 19th. Sigh. I haven't taken a freakin math class in over ten years, I didn't think it would come to haunt me. The only school that doesn't look at GRE scores is NOVA. Does anyone know how many students they accept into their program? I can't wait until this is all over. I am actually dreaming about GREs and schools every night now. :cry::cry:

I took the GRE twice, and I was told to allow A LOT of time to take the test before applications are due for a couple of reasons. 1) ETS is slow... and scores are sent at a snails pace, 2) If I needed to repeat it I could, prior to the deadline for applications and finally 3)to get used to the exam. I did extremely well on the math portion, better than I thought I would anyways. I hate math and I do not do well in math. My personal suggestion: Study vocab more than math. Math will just happen, most people (almost everyone I spoke with) do better on the math than the verbal.

Hope this helps!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't know ETS was slow. This means my schools will not receive the results on time as I will be taking the exam next Tuesday. Most of the schools didn't seem to mind though. Montclair's deadline is February 15, and that's the program I'd like to get into so no worries there.

I bought the Kaplan flashcards and a lot of ppl told me none of the words were on the test. I am way more stressed out about the math section. I am totally math phobic especially after this course I just took. I feel a lot more anxious.

me and math are like oil and water, and surprisingly it wasn't too bad. that might be because i memorized some of the formulas and geometry functions and that helped me out. with the vocab, well its either you know it or you don't. you'll get your score and just put that on the apps, the schools won't toss the apps if the scores are on the way.

I am meeting up with my math tutor from wyzant today. I think (and hoping) it will be a whole lot better than crappy kaplan.

I bombed it. My scores are absolutely shameful. I did much better on verbal but that one was bad too. I'm ashamed to send my results to any school. I completely blanked out on the math. I actually enjoyed the writing section though; my topics were fun to write about. :scared::(

Hey, I'm sorry your exam didn't go well, but I noticed you mentioned Nova in your OP. I don't know how many applicants they accept, but I know they aim to end up with a class of about 15. I interviewed with them in December and I was a lot more impressed than I expected to be. The clinic is a little bit small, but they seem to have a system that works well and the students feel they get enough time and practice in the clinic. The program is very strong in vestibular, and one of the faculty members is a very well-known tinnitus expert (Paul Davis, the inventor of Neuromonics). They have a 100% pass rate on the PRAXIS and 100% job placement after the externship. So don't panic--Nova may be a good option for you.

I bombed it. My scores are absolutely shameful. I did much better on verbal but that one was bad too. I'm ashamed to send my results to any school. I completely blanked out on the math. I actually enjoyed the writing section though; my topics were fun to write about. :scared::(

I agree, do not feel so "ashamed". You have no idea what the application pool looks like this year. You never know what other peoples scores are or what the schools are looking for. Keep your head up!! If you feel like your head wasnt in the game, take it again. It wont hurt to retake it and send your scores to the schools. Just remember- ETS is sorta slow, so send them ASAP. Again, be confident in your applications. If you convey any doubt they will be able to see it through your materials!!

Good luck!!

Thanks, I feel better today. I'm taking it again in February.

The easiest way to improve your score is to memorize all the vocab words you can get your hands on. I recommend the Princeton Review's GRE book. I forget if it came with flashcards or if I made flashcards of the listed words, but those flashcards helped tremendously. I brought my score up about 300 points from just a couple of weeks of cramming vocab.

Oh no Audiology! Although, I didn't wait until Jan. to take my GRE exams (I opted to take them before the end of September of my senior year), I went through Kaplan. I dedicated my entire summer to studying for the exams and I took the GRE 3 times. I was actually doing great on my practice exams (the lowest score I got was a 1100) and then the actual test came and poof! it all went out the window... the first time I got a 840, the second a 850 and the third a 850. Talk about consistency! And, believe it or not, the same pattern occurred when I took my SATs. Nevertheless, athough I did have a high cumulative and major GPA, I was very worried that my horrible GRE score would affect my admission to graduate school. In the end, I was accepted to both audiology schools that I applied to.

Regarding Montclair, the academic advisor has said numerous times that she realizes that GRE scores are not an accurate portrayal of the applicant. I honestly do not believe that soley the GRE score will affect your rejection or acceptance to Montclair. So just keep that in mind and try not to lose any sleep over it! ;)

Last edited:
Your message is inspiring and very comforting. Thanks much! I'm a lot more hopeful. You all are so helpful. Thank God I found this site. And sorry I've been so whiny. It's almost coming to a close.

Hey Eardoc6, I hope you asked for your money back since Kaplan guarantees a higher score. I personally like princeton review, and if I were able to fork out the exorbitant amount they ask for I would.