GRE Scores at Top Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PT Hopeful2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but this is basically gonna be a "Chance Me" thread, and in particular I'm interested in learning the GRE scores of students who have been accepted to top schools like Columbia or Duke.

Stats:
Binghamton University
cGPA: ~3.6
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.6-3.75
GRE: 167V 157Q Haven't gotten writing back yet.
-3 great req letters
-A&P TA
-Secretary of Evolution Club
-Over 100 hours in 3 settings

So what say you? Is this good enough to get into Columbia or Duke?

Took my GRE today and was surprised because my quantitave was higher than my verbal in all my practice tests. If I retake I'm confident I could get quantitative in the mid 160s, but unsure if the time/cost would be worth it.

So yeah, if you got into a top 20 PT school, post your GRE scores below.

Members don't see this ad.

That information used to be under PTCAS program directory, although it appears they have pulled it down.
PTCAS may be able to give you that data if you call, otherwise if you call the programs directly they will likely provide the average GRE scores to you.

Hope that helps.

That information used to be under PTCAS program directory, although it appears they have pulled it down.
PTCAS may be able to give you that data if you call, otherwise if you call the programs directly they will likely provide the average GRE scores to you.

Hope that helps.
Thanks. I remember seeing that, and it seemed like half of the scores were just completely made up.

But you're right, I should probably just call the program directly if I'm really interested in finding this information out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Prior to PTCAS changing the directory, the average scores for Duke were listed as 153 (v) and 155 (q). I don't have Columbia's info.

Your verbal GRE score makes you stand out and your quant is clearly high enough. I wouldn't retake it. While schools say they superscore, a lower verbal score on a retake makes the 167 look a little like an anomaly.

I am curious to know what the Evolution club is.

Reactions: 1 user
Having gotten into a top 20 school with stats lower than that, I wouldn't waste another $200 on the GRE unless your writing score doesn't meet a school's minimum requirement. I'd put that money into applications & maybe increase your hours some.

Being a student at a top 10 school, I've gotten in with lower stats than yours. You are fine.

Prior to PTCAS changing the directory, the average scores for Duke were listed as 153 (v) and 155 (q). I don't have Columbia's info.

Your verbal GRE score makes you stand out and your quant is clearly high enough. I wouldn't retake it. While schools say they superscore, a lower verbal score on a retake makes the 167 look a little like an anomaly.

I am curious to know what the Evolution club is.

The technical name is the "Evolutionary Studies Student Association." It's for students who are interested in evolutionary biology. We mostly just met once a week and talked about evolution. We would occasionally convince a biology faculty member to come to our meetings and chat with us, and during my senior year, we completed and presented a small research project.

PTHopeful2 - Did you get your AWA back? Just curious what you got because 167 on verbal is pretty impressive. (I was proud of my 161 but you smashed it) ;)

Sorry, but this is basically gonna be a "Chance Me" thread, and in particular I'm interested in learning the GRE scores of students who have been accepted to top schools like Columbia or Duke.

Stats:
Binghamton University
-3 great req letters
-A&P TA

Took my GRE today and was surprised because my quantitave was higher than my verbal in all my practice tests. If I retake I'm confident I could get quantitative in the mid 160s, but unsure if the time/cost would be worth it.

Just curious what test prep did you use for the GRE? Because your GRE scores are GREAT!

PTHopeful2 - Did you get your AWA back? Just curious what you got because 167 on verbal is pretty impressive. (I was proud of my 161 but you smashed it) ;)

I ended up getting a 4.0. I was a little disappointed with this (thought I should've had a 4.5 in the bag), but I ran out of time before I had the chance to write a conclusion paragraph in my first essay. Oh well!

Just curious what test prep did you use for the GRE? Because your GRE scores are GREAT!

I used a Kaplan Test Prep book which contained three practice tests, and I also did the two free practice tests that are available on the ETS website. Just a warning: I've heard other students complain that Kaplan tests tend to be easier than the real deal. I personally didn't notice much of a difference, but my Quant score DID end up being significantly lower than it was on the practice tests.

Does anyone know if Rutgers(Newark) accepts applicants with GRE scores that are below their minimum listed on PTCAS for Verbal and Quantative? Aside from that other areas of the application are strong. Strong GPA, strong score on the written part of the GRE, and countless # of hours in various PT settings. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
Random tidbit - university Colorado has average GRE scores over 160 for both verbal and quant!

Random tidbit - university Colorado has average GRE scores over 160 for both verbal and quant!
I don't think that's mathematically possible with 65 students. They list their average GRE scores as 163 and 164, with percentages of 92 and 87. According to PTCAS, the average verbal and quant percentages of accepted students were 55 and 50. The acceptance rate for students who went to Colorado schools was 48%. The acceptance rate for all students was about 49%. Colorado accepts about a 50/50 ratio of in state to out of state students. So, assuming their in state students are average Coloradans, even if their OOS students all scored 170, their average would still be below 160.

It's just not possible.

Didn't bother digging in that much (I'll be staying in Texas and scored close to their listed scores so it didn't sound too crazy)

Odd that they would list an inflated figure on their admissions page if that truly is the case though.

Didn't bother digging in that much (I'll be staying in Texas and scored close to their listed scores so it didn't sound too crazy)

Odd that they would list an inflated figure on their admissions page if that truly is the case though.
Yeah, I remember seeing your stats. They were absolutely great, probably in the top 5-10% on this site. Yet, Colorado's average stats were still higher. I can't remember seeing a school that listed anywhere near a 160 average for either score. It's just not possible. I don't know why they'd do it either.

Meh, maybe if I'm bored this week I'll call them and do some digging

Stats:
Binghamton University
-3 great req letters
-A&P TA

I just got my acceptance to Duke and I had V157 Q158 A4.0. Of course, it will depend upon the rest of your application, but I would say those scores would definitely put you in a competitive range.

I just got my acceptance to Duke and I had V157 Q158 A4.0. Of course, it will depend upon the rest of your application, but I would say those scores would definitely put you in a competitive range.
Great job! Did you apply early decision?