Greater Chance Getting into Home Competitive Residency Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorjmr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there!

I'm going to be an M1 at U of Missouri this coming fall and I was wondering if it is easier to match into a competitive residency program at your home institution. Specifically, I'd love to go into orthopedics (I know just about every dude college athlete thinks this but I've loved ortho after shadowing quite a few specialties) and was wondering if I would have a better chance at matching at Mizzou through getting to know faculty there over the course of the next 4 years. Obviously I'll still have to be a competitive applicant with a great STEP 1 score, good LORs, and quality research but I've heard that you might receive more leniency when applying to your own institution. I'd love to know if this is true or not.

Thank you in advance for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

Of course. Unless you're a dbag then it works against you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Piggybacking off of this question, does this mean that it is best to take into great consideration the home residency programs when applying or deciding between med schools?

Piggybacking off of this question, does this mean that it is best to take into great consideration the home residency programs when applying or deciding between med schools?
If you already know the specialty you're going into, then I guess so. Most people don't know what they want for sure yet though, and most centers are stronger in some things and weaker in others.

Reactions: 1 user