gross lab grossness...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
F

femily

so today we're studying the anal triangle, haven't gone up there yet to actually STUDY it, but the prelab looks kinda disgusting. so those people who have already looked at that area, please be thinking of me and all my classmates who get the glorious task of probing through anal fat for the next few hours. for those of you who haven't gotten to it yet, i will try to be strong for you...

Members don't see this ad.

We actually had to do digital rectal exams as part of our lab, so consider yourself fortunate if all you have to do is dig through some fatpad. That's not even the worst part about gross lab, just wait until some ***** at the next table over saws open their colon :barf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Quoted from our dissector:

"Tying the Esophagus and Sigmoid Colon off properly and making careful transactions will prevent a profoundly despiriting gastrointestinal event."

What they did not warn us about, however, was the random projectile squirting that occurred when we took a hacksaw saggitally up through the perineum. My tank mate got hit in the face. It was nasty...

Quoted from our dissector:

"Tying the Esophagus and Sigmoid Colon off properly and making careful transactions will prevent a profoundly despiriting gastrointestinal event."

What they did not warn us about, however, was the random projectile squirting that occurred when we took a hacksaw saggitally up through the perineum. My tank mate got hit in the face. It was nasty...

I.E.D! Man Down!

The ass was horrible. We couldn't find anything because of all the fat. If you have a fat cadaver, save your time and go look at some prosections. Honestly, our cadaver wasn't even that fat and he still had tons of fat in his ass. Cleaning out the ishiorectal fossa blows.
I hate anatomy lab, though, so I'm probably gonna give you similar advice no matter what you are looking for.
Good luck, man.

The ass was horrible. We couldn't find anything because of all the fat. If you have a fat cadaver, save your time and go look at some prosections. Honestly, our cadaver wasn't even that fat and he still had tons of fat in his ass. Cleaning out the ishiorectal fossa blows.
I hate anatomy lab, though, so I'm probably gonna give you similar advice no matter what you are looking for.
Good luck, man.

:laugh: :laugh:
LOL that post was great. It spoke for us all who had to go through that experience.

Sorry double post.

ok...so after skinning, etc, we got to search for all those unsearchable nerves and arteries "somewhere" in that glorious fatty layer. when we stuck our probes into the fat to just see how deep the the fat went, it cleared a good 3 inches or so. that's kinda a lot. oh...and as we kept "loosening" the fat/fascia in the area, some thick pasty substance started oozing out of the butthole region. i wonder what that is!?!?!?!?!! i'm just looking forward to whatever smells greet us today...hork!

ok...so after skinning, etc, we got to search for all those unsearchable nerves and arteries "somewhere" in that glorious fatty layer. when we stuck our probes into the fat to just see how deep the the fat went, it cleared a good 3 inches or so. that's kinda a lot. oh...and as we kept "loosening" the fat/fascia in the area, some thick pasty substance started oozing out of the butthole region. i wonder what that is!?!?!?!?!! i'm just looking forward to whatever smells greet us today...hork!

Femily, are trying to scare those poor impressionable pre-meds from applying to med school? :smuggrin:

Our guy had a megacolon that we had to tie off. Now that was nasty. And yes, it was full.

One thing I forgot to mention before, our cadaver is insanely fat. There was probably a fat layer that was about 4 inches deep across the abdomen. I mean, there is fat on this person where fat shouldn't be. To top it all off, a random juice seems to constantly secrete from the depths of this fat. It looks just like Papa Johns garlic sauce. I've been tempted to dip a bread stick in it.

friday we got to basically quarter our cadaver and i got the honor of halfing the penis with a scalpel!!! add that to my resume. hahaha...our whole lab was kinda funny to look at because everyone was walking around carrying a leg to wash off in the sink...

and no, i'm not trying to scare anybody out of med school! if i was trying to do that, i'd talk about something else...

One thing I forgot to mention before, our cadaver is insanely fat. There was probably a fat layer that was about 4 inches deep across the abdomen. I mean, there is fat on this person where fat shouldn't be. To top it all off, a random juice seems to constantly secrete from the depths of this fat. It looks just like Papa Johns garlic sauce. I've been tempted to dip a bread stick in it.

Oh my...

friday we got to basically quarter our cadaver and i got the honor of halfing the penis with a scalpel!!! add that to my resume. hahaha...our whole lab was kinda funny to look at because everyone was walking around carrying a leg to wash off in the sink...

and no, i'm not trying to scare anybody out of med school! if i was trying to do that, i'd talk about something else...

*twinges in pain*

Hey Femily-

Wasn't it great that the board of directors picked the a**hole dissection to visit the lab. I thought it was classic. Hope things are going well.

We actually put a tampon in our cadavers anus and it seemed to work pretty well. We also had a group that ruptured their cadavers bowel. They were pretty lonely for awhile.

-Mike

To top it all off, a random juice seems to constantly secrete from the depths of this fat. It looks just like Papa Johns garlic sauce. I've been tempted to dip a bread stick in it.

a bread stick. :laugh:

It's amazing how quickly anatomy went from gross to funny.