Group Tutor or Reader?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myPrecious!!!

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was planning on becoming either a group tutor or a reader in my college (probably for a Stats class). Which one do you guys think Adcoms prefer?

Also, does Stats looks good or should I try more of traditional science? I am a double major MCB/Stats and I know I can definitely get into a stats position over MCB.

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying next cycle, but I feel I can give you some advice. Note that this is advice I've received from others who were successful and my own experiences.

Don't worry about what Adcoms prefer for ECs or majors. IMO, the requirements are do well in the required pre-reqs, get the necessary clinical experiences, shadowing, good GPA, and good MCAT score. Anything else you do to stand out is up to you.

Focus on what YOU want to do and make sure that it is actually something you like doing. Do you like Tutoring? Cool, do it and grow from it. Do you like being a Group Reader (not sure what this is?)? Cool, do it and grow from it.

If you don't like doing something you most likely won't be able to talk about it or write about it well enough to stand out.

Major in whatever you want as long as you get your pre-reqs done and do well in them.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm applying next cycle, but I feel I can give you some advice. Note that this is advice I've received from others who were successful and my own experiences.

Don't worry about what Adcoms prefer for ECs or majors. IMO, the requirements are do well in the required pre-reqs, get the necessary clinical experiences, shadowing, good GPA, and good MCAT score. Anything else you do to stand out is up to you.

Focus on what YOU want to do and make sure that it is actually something you like doing. Do you like Tutoring? Cool, do it and grow from it. Do you like being a Group Reader (not sure what this is?)? Cool, do it and grow from it.

If you don't like doing something you most likely won't be able to talk about it or write about it well enough to stand out.

Major in whatever you want as long as you get your pre-reqs done and do well in them.
I see what you mean and I understand that. Personally, I like both of those positions. By the way, a reader is simply a grader for the class who pretty much grades the midterms and homework.
I know that as a Grader I don't have to commit as much time as I would have to for a tutor- which is perfect for my other activities. But I don't mind putting in extra hours if group tutor does really look good. As I said I really enjoy both positions and figured since this was the case I might choose one that would add more value to my application.

With regards to the major, I definitely enjoy both and that is why I decided to go ffora double major.

Given that I enjoy both positions Grader and Group tutor which one do you think adds more value to my application

Sorry if my response is too long.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to keep doing the double major and you enjoy it, more power to you! Just make sure your GPA and Science GPA aren't getting negatively influenced by it.

Are these positions paid or just volunteer? In regards to which of those two choices is better, personally I would say that the Group tutoring one would be more beneficial regardless of if it's paid or unpaid since you'd be actually interacting with other students, teaching them, and acting as a mentor.

The Reader position just sounds like extra busy work for no real benefit if all you are doing is grading papers. Do you get to interact with the Professor or help out in other ways to somehow get a strong LoR? IMO, definitely do not do the reader position if it's unpaid. If it is paid, it's really up to you. Some extra pocket money is nice, but you could use that time to do other things.

If you want to keep doing the double major and you enjoy it, more power to you! Just make sure your GPA and Science GPA aren't getting negatively influenced by it.

Are these positions paid or just volunteer? In regards to which of those two choices is better, personally I would say that the Group tutoring one would be more beneficial regardless of if it's paid or unpaid since you'd be actually interacting with other students, teaching them, and acting as a mentor.

The Reader position just sounds like extra busy work for no real benefit if all you are doing is grading papers. Do you get to interact with the Professor or help out in other ways to somehow get a strong LoR? IMO, definitely do not do the reader position if it's unpaid. If it is paid, it's really up to you. Some extra pocket money is nice, but you could use that time to do other things.
I see what you mean, they are both paid. Thanks so much for the help.

I think I am going to apply for Group tutor and see if they approve my schedule, if not I can apply for Grader position and as you said I can get an LOR for either position since they are both for the same professor I had my classes with and with whom I have a good relationship.

I see what you mean, they are both paid. Thanks so much for the help.

I think I am going to apply for Group tutor and see if they approve my schedule, if not I can apply for Grader position and as you said I can get an LOR for either position since they are both for the same professor I had my classes with and with whom I have a good relationship.

Sounds like a great plan, good luck! :)