GRU Foreign School Credits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yasamine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am technically a Georgia resident (GA driver's licence, voting registration, and a dependent of parents paying taxes in GA), however, I am obtaining my undergraduate degree at Concordia University in Montreal, Canada. My first choice for dental school is Dental College of Georgia (former GRU) but I know they require at least 90 credit hours at a U.S. accredited university. Previously I assumed "U.S. accredited" signifies a school that is accredited by the U.S. but now I'm starting to think it actually means a U.S. school that is accredited. I am currently eligible for receiving federal U.S. aid so I believe Concordia is recognized as a legitimate institution by the federal government, however, I am not sure it is accredited by the U.S. department of education. Does anyone know if I would be eligible to apply to GRU considering the circumstances?

INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS/CREDITS AND FOREIGN TRAINED DENTISTS
Unfortunately, any courses taken in another country will not be considered when applying to The Dental College of Georgia. While there are some dental schools that do accept the results of professional evaluations of foreign transcripts, the DCG does not. All coursework, including prerequisites, must be taken at a U.S. accredited college or university. Prospective students who have degrees from foreign colleges and universities have been able to attend the DCG, but they each had to take at least 90 semester hours of additional college course (including the required courses) at a U.S. accredited institution.

Here's the information provided on their website.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I am technically a Georgia resident (GA driver's licence, voting registration, and a dependent of parents paying taxes in GA), however, I am obtaining my undergraduate degree at Concordia University in Montreal, Canada. My first choice for dental school is Dental College of Georgia (former GRU) but I know they require at least 90 credit hours at a U.S. accredited university. Previously I assumed "U.S. accredited" signifies a school that is accredited by the U.S. but now I'm starting to think it actually means a U.S. school that is accredited. I am currently eligible for receiving federal U.S. aid so I believe Concordia is recognized as a legitimate institution by the federal government, however, I am not sure it is accredited by the U.S. department of education. Does anyone know if I would be eligible to apply to GRU considering the circumstances?

INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS/CREDITS AND FOREIGN TRAINED DENTISTS
Unfortunately, any courses taken in another country will not be considered when applying to The Dental College of Georgia. While there are some dental schools that do accept the results of professional evaluations of foreign transcripts, the DCG does not. All coursework, including prerequisites, must be taken at a U.S. accredited college or university. Prospective students who have degrees from foreign colleges and universities have been able to attend the DCG, but they each had to take at least 90 semester hours of additional college course (including the required courses) at a U.S. accredited institution.

Here's the information provided on their website.

The best thing to do is it email admissions or call them. They're super helpful.

Thank you for your response @brushthoseteeth! The problem is that when I contact GRU admissions they tell me to ask my university if it's U.S. accredited and for some reason, no one at Concordia University has been able to help me with this information. I asked the Dental College of Georgia if there is a list of accredited universities they go by, but have not yet received an answer. I am just confused and worried right now. I hope all of my coursework isn't useless.