gunner, dork, tool.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

a question of character...

• gunner

Votes: 13 14.6%
  • dork

Votes: 25 28.1%
  • tool

Votes: 14 15.7%
  • all of the above

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • none of the above

Votes: 14 15.7%

• Total voters

CremasterFlash

Born yesterday.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting MS1 in a few weeks.

A month ago I started listening to the Goljan lectures and I've found that I really enjoy them. So I've been listening to them in the background during the day: while making dinner, going for a run, playing with my dog, taking my daughter to the pediatrician, etc.

Does this make me a gunner, a dork, or a tool?

Members don't see this ad.

If you're doing it because you "want to kill your boards and its never too early to study for boards, and now is the time to bury your classmates because no one else is studying yet"... you are a gunner.

If you're doing it because "omg I'm starting MEDICAL SCHOOL! I'm going to be a DOCTOR! I love this MEDICINE STUFF! OMG I CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF STUDYING MEDICINE"... you are a dork.

If you're doing it because you "are hot s*** now that you're in medical school and you want everyone to know how smart you are and how complicated the stuff you study is"... you are a tool.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm all three.

Crap.

none of the above. you are wasting your time. congratulations on being an idiot.

I finished M1 and I can barely get any use out of them yet.

If you really are that set on doing something, why not Acland or something? Why spend the effort of being a gunner and get none of the benefit?

IMO this is a Pre-Med issue and should be moved to pre-allo. lol.

Posting about it here makes you a tool.

Don't worry, there's lot's of dorks in med school. :thumbup:

whoa careful or the SDN vigilantes will get on you for mentioning goljan

You're a dork. I don't think you're really considered a gunner until you demonstrate you're not shooting blanks. You're also a tool for posting about it.

after studying for and taking the boards, I realzed that the only thing MS1 was really good for was learning anatomy. I really ignored anatomy when it came to studying for boards and I think it could've helped me if I had paid better attention during MS1. Physiology is repeated 2nd year, albeit quickly (atleast at my school)

Posting about it here makes you a tool.

+2

You should listen to medical news radio or podcasts... you'd probably get a lot more out of them. If you can't place what Goljan says in some sort of context you're not going to remember it at all. You can place medical news in a context, most people can, and it will help you... maybe not first year, but in medicine in general.

i think youre not funny and should get a life

Members don't see this ad :)
you are all three and there is NOTHING wrong with it!! Be proud!

Since US med schools apparently only focus on Anatomy during the first year and ther's not a whole lot of that on Step 1-- you are definitely doing the right thing! Trust me, a lot of people out there are- they just lie about it ..

People will just hate you--as you see already from the replies...

but really who cares?

None of the above. Goljan is probably the best teacher you will ever have throughout your medical education other than yourself.
seriously.

Without getting good scores on the boards, you will not be able to have choice during residency time. period. This is the bitter truth that people only figure out when they start applying for residencies. Boards are the most important indicator besides the experience, LORs, connections, and grades in that order.

Boards are the most important indicator besides the experience, LORs, connections, and grades in that order.

Just to clarify, this is what you just said:

"This is the order of importance:

The Experience (whatever that means)
LORs
connections
grades
boards"

I don't think you said what you meant to say.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, this is what you just said:

"This is the order of importance:

The Experience (whatever that means)
LORs
connections
grades
boards"

I don't think you said what you meant to say.

What? What part about boards being the most important indicator did you miss?
You terribly misunderstood.

The order that in my post WAS:

Boards
Experience (everyone has this so whatever really)
LORs/connections
grades.

This is the reality. Whether you like it or not. Do bad on your boards and you will get a bad residency choice 98-99% of the time. Unless you have some crazy connections.

I technically started orientation, but real MS1 classes start tuesday. I've already gone out and carved up someone with a scalpel. Do I fall into any of these categories?

Boards
LORs/connections
grades.

This is the reality. Whether you like it or not. Do bad on your boards and you will get a bad residency choice 98-99% of the time. Unless you have some crazy connections.

Read the sentence I quoted again. I know what you meant, but you struggle with the English Language, it seems.

"Boards are the most important indicator besides . . . "

"Besides" means that everything following that word belongs before Board scores.

If I said "I am the fastest man in the world besides Usain Bolt", that means the order is such:

Usain Bolt
Me
Everyone else

Boards
LORs/connections
grades.

wat do u mean by experience, which apparently everyone has?

Look at what I said. "everyone has this so whatever".
I mean going beyond what's required to learn about the specialty that interests you. Or the one you really want to get accepted into.

Maybe research in that field, working closely with a resident, attending, etc.

Read the sentence I quoted again. I know what you meant, but you struggle with the English Language, it seems.

"Boards are the most important indicator besides . . . "

"Besides" means that everything following that word belongs before Board scores.

If I said "I am the fastest man in the world besides Usain Bolt", that means the order is such:

Usain Bolt
Me
Everyone else

Duh! Apparently you actually read your posts after posting. ie:proofreading.
Who does that? We should take internet chatting very seriously. :rolleyes:
This is an anonymous forum, mind you.

It's the content that matters.

Look at what I said. "everyone has this so whatever".
I mean going beyond what's required to learn about the specialty that interests you. Or the one you really want to get accepted into.

Maybe research in that field, working closely with a resident, attending, etc.

so why's it on your list if everyone has it?

None of the above. Goljan is probably the best teacher you will ever have throughout your medical education other than yourself.
seriously.

Without getting good scores on the boards, you will not be able to have choice during residency time. period. This is the bitter truth that people only figure out when they start applying for residencies. Boards are the most important indicator besides the experience, LORs, connections, and grades in that order.

Neil100 hasn't even started medical school yet. This type of crap is the exact reason I quit looking at this website a month ago and deleted it off my bookmarks. Today I got curious and here's what I get 30 seconds after logging in. Holy crap.

It's the content that matters.

Exactly. And putting the content in the wrong order doesn't exactly help you.

I know you're trying to pull the "omg ur so lame u pay attention 2 spelling!" card, but your final sentence which I quoted was clearly in opposition to what you were trying to say. There's a difference between "proofreading" and "not being an imbecile in the first place."

Jeeze. I could see that this thread might get hostile from the start, but I thought that the OP would at least be involved in the firefight.

None of the above. I think every warm-blooded animal should be allowed to listen to those lectures. I think my dachshund likes to listen to Goljan as a matter of fact ... but maybe he's just begging for food. Anyway, they are entertaining and insightful whether you are a pre-med or a Realtor. The lectures aren't going to help you very much compared to say, reading Robbins, working QBank problems, or watching Acland's videos, but his lectures are fun to listen to. Goljan's path book is decent also and perhaps more helpful because you can actually make it through the material more quickly than listening him talking.

My advice to you is to do none of the above (except, perhaps for entertainment). Enjoy your freedom. Studying in advance is just going to burn you out more quickly when the real battle begins.

Last edited:

I know you're trying to pull the "omg ur so lame u pay attention 2 spelling!" card, but your final sentence which I quoted was clearly in opposition to what you were trying to say. There's a difference between "proofreading" and "not being an imbecile in the first place."

th1150542649310.gif

Takeachillpill.jpg

As someone has already said, calm down. You are on an internet forum for cripes sake.

It's not a question of pulling a card. Content matters but I could care less about re-reading my post to see if I wrote the proper word. Almost everyone understood what I meant and even you did too. But, you had to point it out for reving up your e-ego.
Again. I repeat. This is an anonymous forum. No one knows anyone here unless they give their information. Proofreading or re-reading what you wrote is the last thing people are going to do in these forums. This is the reality whether you want to believe it or not. Enough said.

jee golly..

i'm going to be a freshly minted MS1 and i haven't yet gauged my ego.

i better vote all three just to be on the safe side.

Am I the only one that read the title and thought it was about some variation on the game "Rock, Paper, Scissors"?

If you're doing it because you "want to kill your boards and its never too early to study for boards, and now is the time to bury your classmates because no one else is studying yet"... you are a gunner.

If you're doing it because "omg I'm starting MEDICAL SCHOOL! I'm going to be a DOCTOR! I love this MEDICINE STUFF! OMG I CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF STUDYING MEDICINE"... you are a dork.

If you're doing it because you "are hot s*** now that you're in medical school and you want everyone to know how smart you are and how complicated the stuff you study is"... you are a tool.

Nice:laugh:

People only come off as uncool if they make apologies for their behavior. If it's something you enjoy doing, it's something you enjoy doing.

Although any mature poster would simply say "my bad" and thank you for correcting the error in his post which obscured its intended meaning, you won't get any such humility from Neil. Best to move on, bro.

dork tool, I can't say gunner because you didn't post your intentions. If your intentions were to know more than your classmates that you won't share because screw them you're #1 then all 3, but so far I'm just going with dork tool
-durty

I was going to say gunner but now I'm leaning more toward dork tool. :laugh:

In all seriousness, it's good to be prepared and to strive for excellence. Just enjoy what you do and things will fall into place.