"Gunner"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

funtertaining15

Average Wizard
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I've come across a few comments about being a "gunner," and I didn't understand it at first, so I looked it up on Google and came across this entertaining cartoon. The blog is pretty good, too. I just wanted to share it with you all if you haven't seen it before.

http://doccartoon.blogspot.com/p/gunner.html

http://doccartoon.blogspot.com/

Members don't see this ad.

These have been shared here before but they are still funny to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
hahahah ive never seen these before. love it

Meh we are all gunners to a certain extent, some just do a great job of hiding it.

Anyway, the people I thought were 'gunners' in college in general ended up in amazing schools. We are all playing a bit of a game in admissions, some people are just more ahead of the curve.

Meh we are all gunners to a certain extent, some just do a great job of hiding it.

Anyway, the people I thought were 'gunners' in college in general ended up in amazing schools. We are all playing a bit of a game in admissions, some people are just more ahead of the curve.

A gunner is not just someone striving to do well, a gunner is someone willing to sabotage others to get ahead. Not everyone pursuing medicine is a gunner...

Most of the premeds I met at my school were actually pretty cool. It was all the grad-school gunners that I found the most insufferable. They seemed to ease up once I told them I wasn't interested in graduate school:laugh:

That being said I hope things don't change when I get to medical school. I've heard some weird stories of people sabotaging others; on the other hand I've heard of really great bonds being built amongst students.

I know this guy in my undergrad that acts exactly like this. He wears scrubs to class. Who the heck wears scrubs to class????

That's not as bad as that kid a while back who put his "titles" on his undergrad labcoat (Dr. blah, MD/Ph.D, Chief of Surgery).

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I've come across a few comments about being a "gunner," and I didn't understand it at first, so I looked it up on Google and came across this entertaining cartoon. The blog is pretty good, too. I just wanted to share it with you all if you haven't seen it before.

http://doccartoon.blogspot.com/p/gunner.html

http://doccartoon.blogspot.com/
:) It's funny because it's true. Isn't there a gunner-equivalent of a premed?

That's not as bad as that kid a while back who put his "titles" on his undergrad labcoat (Dr. blah, MD/Ph.D, Chief of Surgery).

Well, it would be pointless for him to go to med school, right? Wouldn't matter, since he will easily destroy the MCAT and the board exams.

:) It's funny because it's true. Isn't there a gunner-equivalent of a premed?

Well, it would be pointless for him to go to med school, right? Wouldn't matter, since he will easily destroy the MCAT and the board exams.

:D

In some ways, I'd think so. I was sort of like that in high school, but I was a "nice gunner." No sabotaging of any kind.

Well, like anything in language, the meaning of gunner has kind of taken off and been changed among different crowds. Originally, it was meant for someone who would try to elevate themself by gunning down others. It wasn't about personal excellence, though they surely could have had that trait too, but about weakening competition.

Now adays, many people use it simply to mean someone that tries really hard and seems to care (too much) about grades, prestige, income, etc. This really isn't in the spirit of the original phrase, which was unambiguously pejorative. Now some people wear the "gunner" tag like a badge of honor, which is very far from the original interpretation of the word.

And here I thought I was a "gunner" because I staked an email address with "md" in the name...lmao, MD/PhD and Surgeon?

I think a lot of people, as Narmerguy mentioned, misuse the word.

A "gunner" is not simply someone that does well or tries hard, a "gunner" is a person that will intentionally negatively impact other students for his or her own benefit. They often view themselves as being in direct competition with anyone they meet.

This should not be confused with someone that is intent on trying hard and doing their best to gain admission to medical school. That is a smart, motivated, and determined person. I, for one, try hard to do well, but I also love to help other premeds do the same. Yes, we are all in a competition, but helping a fellow student understand a concept is not going to stop you from gaining admission to a medical school with them in your place.

I think a lot of people, as Narmerguy mentioned, misuse the word.

A "gunner" is not simply someone that does well or tries hard, a "gunner" is a person that will intentionally negatively impact other students for his or her own benefit. They often view themselves as being in direct competition with anyone they meet.

This should not be confused with someone that is intent on trying hard and doing their best to gain admission to medical school. That is a smart, motivated, and determined person. I, for one, try hard to do well, but I also love to help other premeds do the same. Yes, we are all in a competition, but helping a fellow student understand a concept is not going to stop you from gaining admission to a medical school with them in your place.

:thumbup:
Great explanation.

Sent from my LG-P509 using SDN Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.