Gunners in medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Also, to get back on topic, I agree with L2D. Gunner literally refers to classmates who are willing to "gun you down" to save themselves. They are almost universally middle-of-the-road, average-ish performing medical students.

That's not to say that a bunch of ill-informed premed and med students haven't bastardized the term. Just as the majority of people misuse "ironic" or "literally", many students frequently misuse "gunner" to refer to someone towards the top of the class, or someone who works hard.

Make no mistake about it, gunner is not an endearing term, and it is reserved for those people who would rather get ahead by seeing others fail than by their own merits.

tumblr_lnoj60p4bZ1qzma4ho1_500.png
 
somebody i know had a gunner in their class. this gunner used to hog all the professors during anatomy lab so nobody else could ask questions. this gunner used to stock pile study guides from the 2nd years without sharing them with anybody else. this gunner used to try to correct you when being pimped by professors (even though the gunner was wrong 75% of the time).

my friend thought this gunner was really smart...but it turns out the gunner ended up failing anatomy and was dismissed from my friend's school.

just remember: gunners get gunned.

help your classmates out...don't be a dick head.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
somebody i know had a gunner in their class. this gunner used to hog all the professors during anatomy lab so nobody else could ask questions. this gunner used to stock pile study guides from the 2nd years without sharing them with anybody else. this gunner used to try to correct you when being pimped by professors (even though the gunner was wrong 75% of the time).

my friend thought this gunner was really smart...but it turns out the gunner ended up failing anatomy and was dismissed from my friend's school.

just remember: gunners get gunned.

help your classmates out...don't be a dick head.

Those are good examples -- showing you up during pimping on rounds in particular is often where you really see the gunners come out of the woodwork for the first time.

And gunnerism is not just limited to med school, when I was in law school we had a guy who used to tear pages out of books on reserve in the library so other people couldn't finish the assignments.
 
I was accused of being a gunner in histology when I would only share pictures I took of slides with people that helped set up the slides. People are whiners.

To clarify, I welcomed everyone in class to help.
 
Gunners, the ones who think med school is a competition and make themselves look better while making others look bad, are toxic. Don't ever try to make your classmates look bad. Ever. Remember, med school is not even close to a competition. Collaborate with your colleagues. After all, everyone is on the same path. When you move on to residency, you want to be the person that helps everyone in a heartbeat instead of throwing them under the bus.
 
as you progress in medical education I think it becomes apparent that gunnerism is really just the academic manifestation of an underlying personality disorder.

teamwork, social interaction, communication, and overall likability are far more important to success in clinical medicine than relatively meaningless measures of objective test/academic performance.

It is a very poor decision for someone to do truly gunnerish things as listed above. the sort of thing the frontal lobe has been inhibiting for the sake of social betterment for hundreds of thousands of years..
 
From my perspective, this is very easy behavior to spot on rounds. It does not go over well on their evaluations. Medicine is a team sport.

I'm not saying it's a particularly wise move by the gunners, just that if your goal is to try and undermine others this tends to be a very low hanging fruit, and this tends to be where they come out of the woodwork. But in my experience most attendings still will focus on the guy who didn't get the answer than the guy who undermined him when doing their evaluations. At best both will get crummy evaluations.
 
That's not to say that a bunch of ill-informed premed and med students haven't bastardized the term. Just as the majority of people misuse "ironic" or "literally", many students frequently misuse "gunner" to refer to someone towards the top of the class, or someone who works hard.

Trying to make hard work and intelligence look bad by referring to it as gunnerism is one of the oldest and subtlest gunner tricks.
 
Also, to get back on topic, I agree with L2D. Gunner literally refers to classmates who are willing to "gun you down" to save themselves. They are almost universally middle-of-the-road, average-ish performing medical students.



tumblr_lnoj60p4bZ1qzma4ho1_500.png

Does it "literally" refer or does it refer to classmates who are willing to "literally" gun you down? Oh my.
 
I know this is something childish but it's been really bothering me. In my medical school I've run into a bunch of students that will out of the blue start telling me that they hardly study for exams and score really high. It's just really awkward for me because I'm not the type of person that talks about grades.

I can give you a couple examples. One of my classmate studies in the library and I've seen him there all the time with me. Yet he walks around telling others oh yeah I studied one day for the exam and got a 98 % and I'm just amazed by how people are willing to lie just to make themselves feel superior or put others down. I just don't understand what productive cause would lead this student to lie about stuff like that.

Another example from a classmate of mine told me he has not even started studying for an exam at all. He said he had not listened to a single lecture or taken down any notes. Yet while he was showing me something in his notebook from the previous exam he accidentally opened the wrong notebook where he had tons of notes written on almost every lecture. As soon as those pages came up at first he lied and said he borrowed the notebook from a friend when the pages and the notebook clearly had his name on it. Then he proceeded to slam his notebook shut, pretended to have an emergency and got up and left.

Another example from a classmate of mine was when I told him that I had to study all week and still didn't really understand the material. He started laughing and saying stuff like, "come on man you don't need to study that much I hardly study a day or two and have everything memorized. You're just trying way too hard take it easy". How am I trying too hard when I'm studying daily and still not getting the material? lol

Is this a common thing in most medical schools? This type of behavior is not just disturbing but it's sickening. I feel like all the cut throat gunners in undergrad just come to medical school and want to persist with their attitude of being like I'm the best.

I'm sure you know this, but there will always be the "one-uppers" where ever you go.

"Oh you got a 90% on that test? I got a 92%"
"Oh you saw ____ procedure? I saw that five times already and my attending let me do it myself."

This all stems from immaturity. I got sick of it my first two years real quick (since I studied at school and kept running into these toxic people). You learn who these one-uppers are, and you learn to avoid them.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
But in my experience most attendings still will focus on the guy who didn't get the answer than the guy who undermined him when doing their evaluations. At best both will get crummy evaluations.

Hmm... then that's an evaluator issue. Sure, I notice that the person I asked didn't know the answer; but then again I don't expect everyone to be able to answer all of the questions. However, if I see another med student sniping during rounds I make a mental note of that as well. The first medical student gets "read up on patients with conditions you are unfamiliar with". The second medical student gets "don't throw your teammates under the bus".
 
I know this is something childish but it's been really bothering me. In my medical school I've run into a bunch of students that will out of the blue start telling me that they hardly study for exams and score really high. It's just really awkward for me because I'm not the type of person that talks about grades.

I can give you a couple examples. One of my classmate studies in the library and I've seen him there all the time with me. Yet he walks around telling others oh yeah I studied one day for the exam and got a 98 % and I'm just amazed by how people are willing to lie just to make themselves feel superior or put others down. I just don't understand what productive cause would lead this student to lie about stuff like that.

Another example from a classmate of mine told me he has not even started studying for an exam at all. He said he had not listened to a single lecture or taken down any notes. Yet while he was showing me something in his notebook from the previous exam he accidentally opened the wrong notebook where he had tons of notes written on almost every lecture. As soon as those pages came up at first he lied and said he borrowed the notebook from a friend when the pages and the notebook clearly had his name on it. Then he proceeded to slam his notebook shut, pretended to have an emergency and got up and left.

Another example from a classmate of mine was when I told him that I had to study all week and still didn't really understand the material. He started laughing and saying stuff like, "come on man you don't need to study that much I hardly study a day or two and have everything memorized. You're just trying way too hard take it easy". How am I trying too hard when I'm studying daily and still not getting the material? lol

Is this a common thing in most medical schools? This type of behavior is not just disturbing but it's sickening. I feel like all the cut throat gunners in undergrad just come to medical school and want to persist with their attitude of being like I'm the best.


This is how many students at my medical school behaved. After spending a small amount of time with them Id start to notice how they constantly contradicted themselves and would have inconsistencies in what they said they did for studying (IE lying). Interestingly, I think they were confused as to why I started acting aloof towards them or in some cases started even outright ignoring them.
 
I'm assuming they dont try to escalate with you and just move onto someone else. Depending on their personality and ego, I can see this being a reaction.

Based off what he said, Guillemot stopped talking to them. At most, they talk **** about him behind his back (if they have any friends to do that with). No one is going to "escalate with you" if you just stop talking to them. At least not most sane medical students.
 
Its a shame people can't be humble and happy with themselves. I would concur that if you just ignore them you will save yourself some trouble for the rest of the day. (on the other hand they might be a good laugh for you...)
 
Based off what he said, Guillemot stopped talking to them. At most, they talk **** about him behind his back (if they have any friends to do that with). No one is going to "escalate with you" if you just stop talking to them. At least not most sane medical students.

Its a shame people can't be humble and happy with themselves. I would concur that if you just ignore them you will save yourself some trouble for the rest of the day. (on the other hand they might be a good laugh for you...)

True. Thank you!
 
I completely respect that. There's nothing wrong with working hard and there's nothing wrong with trying your best to learn the material. I don't think someone working hard is a gunner. I do think someone is a gunner when they go out of their way to make you feel like you study too much or make you feel like you're not as smart as them when not only do you know they are lying but you've seen it with your own eyes. In the end we are all in medical school to become physicians and to eventually help our patients not to have an unhealthy competition. What exactly are any of us going to achieve from someone telling me not to study too much or claiming they studied 1 day for a bacteriology exam in Micro and scored the highest in the class which you know is complete BS. I mean even if what I saw was a completely delusional dream and it's true why the hell are they running around bragging about it like annoying pests.

I was never around people with this attitude in undergrad or any of my past jobs. I've mostly experienced this in medical school and that's about it.

Just stay clear from those people and worry about yourself. I do. You will go crazy. I befriended one a few days before the semester started. When her gunner characteristics seeped through, I ended the friendship quickly because she was way too toxic. Her constant lying, bragging, whining, negativity, opportunist, and argumentative ways was enough to make me puke.
 
Last edited:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mrlnh3vebSc

Harvard Gunner song sums it all up nicely.

Um no. This sums up what we are saying the word "gunner" actually DOESN'T mean. It isn't the overachiever sitting in the front row and spending the night studying physiology. It's the guy who undermines his classmates in hopes he can climb up the curve on their short fallings. As a result it tends to be people not at the top of the class because then you really can't step on anyone to move up. The word gunner is a pejorative, not a compliment. Nobody is going to make songs about actual gunners.
 
I know what you're saying, but it's natural for words to change meaning or add a meaning over time. The new added definition took hold on the general med student population. The new definition being an overachieving (or making themselves seem like they are as OP stated) douche.

If you think of it, it still somewhat fits the original definition. At some points in school it's kindof hard to not get down on yourself when someone shows off their knowledge of something you should be knowing.
 
Last edited:
I know what you're saying, but it's natural for words to change meaning or add a meaning over time. The new added definition took hold on the general med student population. The new definition being an overachieving (or making themselves seem like they are as OP stated) douche.

If you think of it, it still somewhat fits the original definition. At some points in school it's kindof hard to not get down on yourself when someone shows off their knowledge of something you should be knowing.

That should be an impetus for you to try harder, rather than for you to get down on someone who is doing what they're supposed to do
it depends on how they show it though. if someone (like an attending) asks you a question and they answer it for you, that's douchey. if they're telling someone who wants to know, that's normal
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That should be an impetus for you to try harder, rather than for you to get down on someone who is doing what they're supposed to do
it depends on how they show it though. if someone (like an attending) asks you a question and they answer it for you, that's douchey. if they're telling someone who wants to know, that's normal

I see gunners wanting to show off their knowledge to a lot of people. I've seen someone post their grades on Facebook (mind you, most of our cloass doesn't share grades). I'm sure they will bring at least one person down who doesn't use it as an impetus to try harder, which is what they want.
 
I see gunners wanting to show off their knowledge to a lot of people. I've seen someone post their grades on Facebook (mind you, most of our cloass doesn't share grades). I'm sure they will bring at least one person down who doesn't use it as an impetus to try harder, which is what they want.

If seeing someone doing better than you brings you down, you might as well drop out of medicine. Or just get that sand out of your vagina.
 
I know what you're saying, but it's natural for words to change meaning or add a meaning over time. The new added definition took hold on the general med student population. The new definition being an overachieving (or making themselves seem like they are as OP stated) douche.

If you think of it, it still somewhat fits the original definition. At some points in school it's kindof hard to not get down on yourself when someone shows off their knowledge of something you should be knowing.

I don't like the changing of the word gunner because gunner is a pejorative. And by calling everybody who works hard "gunners", you create a culture where hard work and achievement is something to be ashamed of.

I use the word gunner for douches. Not for overachieving douches. Achievement has nothing to do with it. The worst gunners I have ever come across are usually compensating for their **** grades.
 
Um no. This sums up what we are saying the word "gunner" actually DOESN'T mean. It isn't the overachiever sitting in the front row and spending the night studying physiology. It's the guy who undermines his classmates in hopes he can climb up the curve on their short fallings. As a result it tends to be people not at the top of the class because then you really can't step on anyone to move up. The word gunner is a pejorative, not a compliment. Nobody is going to make songs about actual gunners.

I don't like the changing of the word gunner because gunner is a pejorative. And by calling everybody who works hard "gunners", you create a culture where hard work and achievement is something to be ashamed of.

I use the word gunner for douches. Not for overachieving douches. Achievement has nothing to do with it. The worst gunners I have ever come across are usually compensating for their **** grades.

Srsly guys, I tried to maintain this argument when I first joined SDN. The word's definition has changed amongst the newer medical students, and even people in my class. Even I have at times told a friend who wasn't coming to get beers with us (and was instead studying for an exam 4 weeks away) a gunner. It's fun to call someone a gunner, and it's much easier when you use a bastardized definition of it.

Yes it's wrong, but it feels so right
 
Vent away, but there really is no other point to this thread.

You have all the resources you need to succeed, including this forum. There will always be people who try to get ahead by pulling others down. It's a part of life and most people need to learn how to deal with it.
 
I don't like the changing of the word gunner because gunner is a pejorative. And by calling everybody who works hard "gunners", you create a culture where hard work and achievement is something to be ashamed of.

I use the word gunner for douches. Not for overachieving douches. Achievement has nothing to do with it. The worst gunners I have ever come across are usually compensating for their **** grades.

That culture already occurs at the high school/college level, where people get HIGHLY mocked and ridiculed for working hard and being an "overachiever with no life".

Like others said, there is a huge difference between someone who is living in the library 12 hours a day who hasn't seen the outside vs. the douche who actually think med school is a cut-throat competition. The latter needs to relax, and realize it's only med school, not a competition in any way, shape or form!
 
That should be an impetus for you to try harder, rather than for you to get down on someone who is doing what they're supposed to do
it depends on how they show it though. if someone (like an attending) asks you a question and they answer it for you, that's douchey. if they're telling someone who wants to know, that's normal

This. However, I have seen some of the reverse gunnerism, where a student who studies less and is unhappy about their performance, sees a high-achieving and praised student and tries to bring them down, making fun of them for studying, or even suggesting they not answer questions so "others can answer them wrong."
 
I was one of those people once. It stems from the phrase "damned if you do, damned if you don't," in that you will be called a gunner if you are truthful and study too much and are seen working constantly, and likewise, you will be called a gunner if you say you don't study at all. There is no winning solution if you're trying to internalize the material (f#$@ me for trying to be a good doctor, right?). I think it in part stems from a bastardization of the original definition of the term "gunner," as well as a psychological defense mechanism of others, who have some inkling notion that it reflects poorly on themselves when they see others studying and they're not; their first instinct is to instead judge them as bad people. Now when I hear the phrase gunner from someone, I just think they've thought about it very superficially.

In truth, I think a lot of times, there aren't hundreds of "gunners" out to get you in your school, just a lot of people trying their hardest to learn material so they don't one day accidentally kill their patients.

Some truth here, but no one should be hating on hard work. If you can study 18 or 19 hours a day to make your A's, I am impressed. I sure as heck can't do that. If anyone calls you a gunner for working hard they are either misusing the term or they are insecure.

And this thread makes me happy about my choice of school because this sort of stuff is very rare.
 
Srsly guys, I tried to maintain this argument when I first joined SDN. The word's definition has changed amongst the newer medical students, and even people in my class. Even I have at times told a friend who wasn't coming to get beers with us (and was instead studying for an exam 4 weeks away) a gunner. It's fun to call someone a gunner, and it's much easier when you use a bastardized definition of it.

Yes it's wrong, but it feels so right

But the meaning hasn't changed. People are just throwing it around much the same as you might taunt someone you disagree with by calling them a "fascist". You don't actually believe they ascribe to this political doctrine and by using the word on them you aren't changing what fascism means. In the end it's just a taunt, a bastardization without any new meaning. It's really the same thing when you taunt an overachiever by calling them a "gunner". Again you are just taunting and don't really mean they are underhanded jerks, but that's still what the word means.
 
But the meaning hasn't changed. People are just throwing it around much the same as you might taunt someone you disagree with by calling them a "fascist". You don't actually believe they ascribe to this political doctrine and by using the word on them you aren't changing what fascism means. In the end it's just a taunt, a bastardization without any new meaning. It's really the same thing when you taunt an overachiever by calling them a "gunner". Again you are just taunting and don't really mean they are underhanded jerks, but that's still what the word means.

I guess you really just haven't watched like 50 medical parodies from different med schools on youtube which clearly suggest this latest generation of med students uses the term "gunner" in a completely different way.
 
I guess you really just haven't watched like 50 medical parodies from different med schools on youtube which clearly suggest this latest generation of med students uses the term "gunner" in a completely different way.



I've seen them. Not persuasive. That 50 med students put misinformation on youtube doesn't mean much. Maybe it's suggestive that things have changed but maybe not -- too little data even if its prominently placed. There are 17,000 US allo med school grads each year and a total of several hundred thousand med school grads out there, most of whom don't put things on YouTube, and their usage of the term is what matters in defining it. A few you tube posts doesn't change the language any more than a few rap stars who butcher the English language on their YouTube posts change the language.
 
This. However, I have seen some of the reverse gunnerism, where a student who studies less and is unhappy about their performance, sees a high-achieving and praised student and tries to bring them down, making fun of them for studying, or even suggesting they not answer questions so "others can answer them wrong."

tryhard nerds have been ridiculed from birth in the US

it isn't enough to do well, but you have to make it look effortless
 
How to spot a gunner in three easy steps -
a) Throw a group study at X location and don't invite said person (and not inviting anyone at all, actually). Watch what happens.
b) Watch said person's reaction to jokes/leisurely conversations during rounds or rotations. They're the ones who are about to have a stroke b/c they think they should be doing something else or laugh at anything the attending says.
c) Lie. Lie about your performance in class/step 1/shelf exams. Lie about how much you study/resources you have. They're the ones that try to one-up you.

If you're feeling particularly daring - lie and say you're applying for a research position at X department during first year.

They come out of the woodwork like roaches during fumigation.
 
...
c) Lie. Lie about your performance in class/step 1/shelf exams. Lie about how much you study/resources you have...

you do realize that if you do this you are walking a very fine line between flushing out gunners and actually being one. Lying for personal advantage (ie trying to stress out someone you are competing against for grades) is actually a tried and true component of gunnerism. You have met the enemy and it is you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
some students in my class choose to not take lunch breaks during rotations that they and their peers were given but instead choose to stay and work while their classmates are eating. is this considered gunner behavior?
 
some students in my class choose to not take lunch breaks during rotations that they and their peers were given but instead choose to stay and work while their classmates are eating. is this considered gunner behavior?

Depends on motive according to Law2doc. 🙂

If you genuinely just want to be learning more stuff and don't feel like sitting around eating food instead...how could that be wrong?
 
some students in my class choose to not take lunch breaks during rotations that they and their peers were given but instead choose to stay and work while their classmates are eating. is this considered gunner behavior?

That's just working harder than you. Not Gunning. If, however, they were talking you down during this time or making your life harder on purpose, that would be Gunning.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4
 
After rotating on a surgical subspecialty I have encountered the biggest gunner of them all: The Visiting 4th Year