Guy with a horrible academic past (needs advice)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChiArmenian

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Non traditional student here (28) would graduate when I'm 31.....gpa is currently a 3.6....I have 26 w's....I know....big number....but it is due to me being a caregiver for my grandmother and mother....both have different medical problems....I also have a few c's and 2 F's....I started my undergraduate in 2013....I didnt even know I wanted to be a doctor in the beginning....17 of those 26 w's are in science courses...some have been dropped twice or three times (terrible I know) some semesters I was able to complete and some not....some semesters I was able to complete most but would have a w in the mix due to these issues....I would have some help from close relatives from time to time in taking care of my mother and grandmother but they weren't always able to be there when I needed them. I have 3 years left in my biology undergraduate coursework. My grandmother and mother are now under fulltime care of someone else (a close relative who has agreed to be the caregiver for the remaining of my undergrad for 3 years.....some people have told me medicine isn't possible with my record even if I were to get A's in the 3 years or A's and B's...but some say it is possible if I show a strong upward trend with good grades with no w's and maybe a post bacc or SMP to further prove an upward trend...I've heard a few opinions from some people on here but I'd like some. I'm set to start my 3 year journey with 14 credits to start next semester (classes that have been dropped before last semester)...i heard of some guy on sdn having 20-30 w's and f's....I've read of a woman on here of having 28 w's and getting 3 d.o. acceptances....even though I think these were before grade replacement changed....these were a bit motivating in me thinking there's still a chance but I just wanted to hear your opinions.....thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

I have never seen so many ellipsis (ellipsi?) in my life. Formatting my friend!

Anyways, it’s not over for you IMO. If you can maintain straight As for the next 3 years and mix in some solid ECs you should be fine.

For this first semester however, just focus on excelling academically. Good luck.

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Anyways, it’s not over for you IMO. If you can maintain straight As for the next 3 years and mix in some solid ECs you should be fine.

For this first semester however, just focus on excelling academically. Good luck.
I agree. On a side note, props to you for finishing 58 secondaries. I was about to lose my mind after like 14 lol

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
I agree. On a side note, props to you for finishing 58 secondaries. I was about to lose my mind after like 14 lol
Lol, thanks man. I pre-wrote pretty much all of them. Fun times!

Sorry about that lol....thanks for responding

I think if you can crush these next three years and check off your EC'S you'll have a decent chance. I think you just need to realistically determine if you'll be able to focus on school these next three years and medical school for four years after with your family issues. Otherwise I think you have a great shot. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Don't even think of going Carib.
That would be an absolute last option after I've applied to u.s schools a couple of cycles when that time comes but if I really show an upward trend...there might not be any need to go there

I think if you can crush these next three years and check off your EC'S you'll have a decent chance. I think you just need to realistically determine if you'll be able to focus on school these next three years and medical school for four years after with your family issues. Otherwise I think you have a great shot. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice

First thing is first: you probably don't have a 3.6 with some Fs. You need to calculate your GPA without grade replacement as neither MD or DO schools consider grade replacement.

Additionally, the Caribbean needs to be a nonstarter. Do they train doctors? Yes. Are you likely to become a doctor through the Caribbean? No. They can kick you out at any time for any reason. You'll also be limited in what specialties you can match into regardless of your overall residency app. Just don't do it.

What you need to do:

Keep getting straight As.

Find some sort of research to participate in.

Volunteer at a hospital.

Volunteer with the less fortunate.

Do well on the MCAT.

And you'll likely have a good shot at an acceptance somewhere in the US having put your W's well behind you.

If you can't do that, then you'd probably be best served deciding on another career.

Reactions: 1 user
We
First thing is first: you probably don't have a 3.6 with some Fs. You need to calculate your GPA without grade replacement as neither MD or DO schools consider grade replacement.

Additionally, the Caribbean needs to be a nonstarter. Do they train doctors? Yes. Are you likely to become a doctor through the Caribbean? No. They can kick you out at any time for any reason. You'll also be limited in what specialties you can match into regardless of your overall residency app. Just don't do it.

What you need to do:

Keep getting straight As.

Find some sort of research to participate in.

Volunteer at a hospital.

Volunteer with the less fortunate.

Do well on the MCAT.

And you'll likely have a good shot at an acceptance somewhere in the US having put your W's well behind you.

If you can't do that, then you'd probably be best served deciding on another career.
Well my transfer gpa from my school said my gpa was a 3.6....one of my F's were in a non college course...a remedial course that was English and the other was in a general bio lab that was 1 credit....I'm willing to do everything that you've said....I can't guarantee that it will be all A's (maybe some B's) but most of them will be hopefully A's....about the carib....I'm well aware of the risks....I'm aware you can't have the speciality of your choosing but one of my cousins went there due to his gpa being poor....he went to Ross and now hes finished with his family medicine residency....he did work really hard over there and I'm proud of him....I wouldn't go to any carib school if it came down to that...I would go to one of the big 4....UAG in mexico I don't think has a good reputation....I'm not going to decide on another career....this is what I want and I'm willing to work my ass off for it....if it's necessary....I'd do a post bacc or SMP.....I'll do everything I can to prove myself

Members don't see this ad :)
I will say however when I retook that bio lab I did receive a C+

We

Well my transfer gpa from my school said my gpa was a 3.6....one of my F's were in a non college course...a remedial course that was English and the other was in a general bio lab that was 1 credit....I'm willing to do everything that you've said....I can't guarantee that it will be all A's (maybe some B's) but most of them will be hopefully A's....about the carib....I'm well aware of the risks....I'm aware you can't have the speciality of your choosing but one of my cousins went there due to his gpa being poor....he went to Ross and now hes finished with his family medicine residency....he did work really hard over there and I'm proud of him....I wouldn't go to any carib school if it came down to that...I would go to one of the big 4....UAG in mexico I don't think has a good reputation....I'm not going to decide on another career....this is what I want and I'm willing to work my ass off for it....if it's necessary....I'd do a post bacc or SMP.....I'll do everything I can to prove myself

Just remove it as an option. It's great that your cousin made it, you should be proud. There was an equally great chance your cousin could have been saddled with hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of debt and never matched, or never even gotten to the MD because he was kicked out on a whim. At least with the MD you can teach if you never match.

Take the time to recalculate your GPA now. What you transferred with is not accurate. Use the GPA calculator found by searching on the forums here.

If you can't get pretty much straight A's, you will probably have a limited shot... And again, the Carribean should NOT be considered an option for you.

Best of luck!

Just remove it as an option. It's great that your cousin made it, you should be proud. There was an equally great chance your cousin could have been saddled with hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of debt and never matched, or never even gotten to the MD because he was kicked out on a whim. At least with the MD you can teach if you never match.

Take the time to recalculate your GPA now. What you transferred with is not accurate. Use the GPA calculator found by searching on the forums here.

If you can't get pretty much straight A's, you will probably have a limited shot... And again, the Carribean should NOT be considered an option for you.

Best of luck!
I used

I put in the f's and c's with all A's....

Cumulative GPA: 3.571
AMCAS SGPA: 3.475

I took med terminology and a prep chem class...even those aren't pre reqs they still fit under sgpa....one of my schools was a + and - school but I still included that when I was filling out the form....not all A's just means a further SMP or post bacc is needed....but the gpa wasn't far off....and these 3 years majority will be science since majority of generals are already done...so it's a great opportunity to raise the science gpa if I do well....even it were a B or two....it's not terrible I feel like....as long as I don't get C's

I took a bunch of courses not even related to my current degree but if they still count so I included them.....I took over 70 credits so far but with my degree requirements and maybe throwing in a few extra courses such as anatomy and physiology and biochem....it would take me about 3 years

I’m not an adcom, so take this advice with a grain of salt, but I think the problem with so many W’s is that it suggests you have a tendency to quit when struggling with a class (which is not necessarily true, but that is how it reads on a transcript). Adcoms might be concerned that, when faced with the difficulty and rigor of a medical school curriculum, you won’t be able to handle it and drop out.

You need to prove that impression wrong by not withdrawing from anymore courses and excelling with a full course load. Fortunately, you still have plenty of time left in undergrad to show that, so I definitely think you still have a chance.

Also, many schools have a secondary essay question that asks about any difficulties you may have encountered that contributed to academic struggles. For that question, I would explain what happened with your family members and how solely taking on their care resulted in the W’s. Be sure though to explain what study strategies or coping mechanisms you have developed that prevent you from needing to withdraw or score poorly in the future. You should also be prepared to speak about what happened in an interview. Show that you’ve grown and I’m sure you’ll be fine, good luck!

This. You hit some personal difficulties and had a decent reason for taking all those Ws. You've dug yourself a hole, but not as terrible as you think. A 3.5 isn't great; it is low for MD and fine for DO. The Ws will raise eyebrows, but if you get a 3.5+ the next three years for DO and a 3.7+ for MD (without taking more than a couple Ws and while taking a full time course load) you're good. Do well on the MCAT, get good ECs, and the sky-high number of withdrawals won't be a problem for you.

Last edited:
This. You hit some personal difficulties and had a decent reason for taking all those Ws. You've dug yourself a hole, but not as terrible as you think. A 3.5 isn't great, and it is low for MD and fine for DO. The Ws will raise eyebrows, but if you get a 3.5+ the next three years for DO and a 3.7+ for MD (without taking more than a couple Ws and while taking a full time course load) you're good. Do well on the MCAT, get good ECs, and the sky-high number of withdrawals won't be a problem for you.

I mostly agree, but I do think that with all the W's they will need to do closer to a 3.7-3.8 and NO W's. I don't think they can show any signs of weakness or any waivering commitment over the next few years.

Absolutely crush it in your last couple of years, and on the MCAT (that would make things much easier) and have an ironclad resume otherwise.

Then if I were you, I would reach out and try and explain your situation to adcoms who are willing to listen to why there is such a mismatch between your recent grades and your gpa. The point of admissions criteria is to make sure you can handle the workload. The better your uptrend and the further away into the past your issues are, the better chance you have of making a strong case.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

I’m not an adcom, so take this advice with a grain of salt, but I think the problem with so many W’s is that it suggests you have a tendency to quit when struggling with a class (which is not necessarily true, but that is how it reads on a transcript). Adcoms might be concerned that, when faced with the difficulty and rigor of a medical school curriculum, you won’t be able to handle it and drop out.

You need to prove that impression wrong by not withdrawing from anymore courses and excelling with a full course load. Fortunately, you still have plenty of time left in undergrad to show that, so I definitely think you still have a chance.

Also, many schools have a secondary essay question that asks about any difficulties you may have encountered that contributed to academic struggles. For that question, I would explain what happened with your family members and how solely taking on their care resulted in the W’s. Be sure though to explain what study strategies or coping mechanisms you have developed that prevent you from needing to withdraw or score poorly in the future. You should also be prepared to speak about what happened in an interview. Show that you’ve grown and I’m sure you’ll be fine, good luck!
I definitely will do what you said.....my w's are because of family health issues but my transcript has a few weird things such as me dropping from intermediate algebra one semester at one school.....then the next semester trying to take pre calc the next (because my advisor told me I was eligible and wanted to get ahead and not fall behind another semester) but unfortunately dropped the pre calc as well....moved to another school because I couldn't afford a private institution anymore....and actually retook algebra because I thought it would be better practice for myself instead of rushing things again and that was one of the semesters where I had some extra help in taking care of family so I did well in the algebra but the next semester after that I ended up dropping pre calc again because I didn't have the extra help in taking care of family that specific semester so it's a weird situation but it's unfortunately the truth that I will explain....thanks for your advice

This. You hit some personal difficulties and had a decent reason for taking all those Ws. You've dug yourself a hole, but not as terrible as you think. A 3.5 isn't great, and it is low for MD and fine for DO. The Ws will raise eyebrows, but if you get a 3.5+ the next three years for DO and a 3.7+ for MD (without taking more than a couple Ws and while taking a full time course load) you're good. Do well on the MCAT, get good ECs, and the sky-high number of withdrawals won't be a problem for you.
Thanks for the advice

I definitely will do what you said.....my w's are because of family health issues but my transcript has a few weird things such as me dropping from intermediate algebra one semester at one school.....then the next semester trying to take pre calc the next (because my advisor told me I was eligible and wanted to get ahead and not fall behind another semester) but unfortunately dropped the pre calc as well....moved to another school because I couldn't afford a private institution anymore....and actually retook algebra because I thought it would be better practice for myself instead of rushing things again and that was one of the semesters where I had some extra help in taking care of family so I did well in the algebra but the next semester after that I ended up dropping pre calc again because I didn't have the extra help in taking care of family that specific semester so it's a weird situation but it's unfortunately the truth that I will explain....thanks for your advice

Keep in mind that if you use these circumstances to explain academic struggles, be prepared to explain that family issues won’t cause you to run again. Med school is a different beast and you cannot run home for every issue.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I mostly agree, but I do think that with all the W's they will need to do closer to a 3.7-3.8 and NO W's. I don't think they can show any signs of weakness or any waivering commitment over the next few years.
I will do my best and will raise my gpa if needed by further coursework....maybe an SMP or post bacc program as I've said....doing well in an SMP shows u can handle a first year's curriculum of med school....that's what I've heard at least

Keep in mind that if you use these circumstances to explain academic struggles, be prepared to explain that family issues won’t cause you to run again. Med school is a different beast and you cannot run home for every issue.
I will explain it but I hope the 3 years of coursework with no w's will show that instead of me just saying it....and would be willing to do additional years if it came down to that

Absolutely crush it in your last couple of years, and on the MCAT (that would make things much easier) and have an ironclad resume otherwise.

Then if I were you, I would reach out and try and explain your situation to adcoms who are willing to listen to why there is such a mismatch between your recent grades and your gpa. The point of admissions criteria is to make sure you can handle the workload. The better your uptrend and the further away into the past your issues are, the better chance you have of making a strong case.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
Appreciate the advice!

I would spend a fair amount of time drafting your essay. It will be an important ~2 paragraphs and you want it to be clear and concise, while showing maturity and self-assurance. Have several people look it over before you submit the final with your secondary.

Started in 2013.....three more years to finish?!

10 years for an undergrad?

I’m not trying to be a dick, but “3 years of mostly As in upper class work, a solid MCAT, and plenty of solid ECs” pretty much apply to anyone.

You need a stop point that’s foreseeable to go on to plan B. Like if your next 8 months of classes isn’t near perfect, then move on with your life. Nothing you’ve said suggest you have academic ability to pass med school. I’m not saying you shouldn’t try, but I really hope you don’t have a pile of student loans.

Reactions: 3 users
Started in 2013.....three more years to finish?!

10 years for an undergrad?

I’m not trying to be a dick, but “3 years of mostly As in upper class work, a solid MCAT, and plenty of solid ECs” pretty much apply to anyone.

You need a stop point that’s foreseeable to go on to plan B. Like if your next 8 months of classes isn’t near perfect, then move on with your life. Nothing you’ve said suggest you have academic ability to pass med school. I’m not saying you shouldn’t try, but I really hope you don’t have a pile of student loans.
I didnt know I wanted to be a doctor in the first place....it's not my fault I had family members with medical problems....do you think I just magically said one day....yeah let me have this problem....sorry but mommy and daddy didn't have money to support me one bit....I had to make it on my own....you can say whatever you want....it doesn't bother me....we all have different lifestyles....u might have gone to school 4 years straight....had your parents support financially with no issues on your hands....don't compare your situation to mine....I think you're judging me too much....how can anyone can academically focused if they have family health problems....you try it....see how you feel....there's no plan B.....there's only plan A....and I'm sticking to that plan no matter if it's more than 3 years with a masters or post bacc....whatever....I'll never abandon my family.....I'm sure you wouldn't abandon yours....so 10 years or whatever.....I did the duty of a son and grandson....as a physician....I'm sure you can see that and see that can people still have a chance to show who they truly are....despite their misfortunes....everyone on here thinks it's possible if I work hard....I believe them and I will

Last edited:
  • Wow
I would spend a fair amount of time drafting your essay. It will be an important ~2 paragraphs and you want it to be clear and concise, while showing maturity and self-assurance. Have several people look it over before you submit the final with your secondary.
I will for sure thanks

I didnt know I wanted to be a doctor in the first place....it's not my fault I had family members with medical problems....do you think I just magically said one day....yeah let me have this problem....sorry but mommy and daddy didn't have money to support me one bit....I had to make it on my own....you can say whatever you want....it doesn't bother me....we all have different lifestyles....u might have gone to school 4 years straight....had your parents support financially with no issues on your hands....don't compare your situation to mine....I think you're judging me too much....how can anyone can academically focused if they have family health problems....you try it....see how you feel....there's no plan B.....there's only plan A....and I'm sticking to that plan no matter if it's more than 3 years with a masters or post bacc....whatever....I'll never abandon my family.....I'm sure you wouldn't abandon yours....so 10 years or whatever.....I did the duty of a son and grandson....as a physician....I'm sure you can see that and see that can people still have a chance to show who they truly are....despite their misfortunes....everyone on here thinks it's possible if I work hard....I believe them and I will
In Nitras' defense, what you do when life hits you with a 2x4 is withdraw and not try to bulldoze your way through....and you did what you were supposed to do...which was take the Ws.

Keep in mind that you're in a marathon now, not a sprint.

Reactions: 5 users
I will explain it but I hope the 3 years of coursework with no w's will show that instead of me just saying it....and would be willing to do additional years if it came down to that

Three years of 3.7+ with no Ws will put any doubts solidly to bed. You won't need an SMP if you do that. Don't even think about SMPs until you're much closer to graduating.

A sustained period of academic excellence and a strong MCAT are your best chance at a US degree.
Don't rush it.

Thanks gyngyn....do you think 2.5-3 years would suffice or do a masters before I apply? Some have different opinions on it but would like to hear yours

@gyngyn I do realize this is something not to rush but how long of a sustained period do you recommend?

@gyngyn I do realize this is something not to rush but how long of a sustained period do you recommend?
A year or two should be sufficient (depending on how many classes are taken). You need to delay your application until your grades appear in the primary, though.
Don't take the MCAT until you are confident of a score consistent with success.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
FWIW, I had a ton of withdrawals early on in college due to severe epilepsy. I finally got my seizures under control and I am working through the 2 years of sustained academic success that SDN recommends. It is hard - the performance pressure is a sizable source of stress for me - but you are not alone in this fight and people do it all the time, @ChiArmenian. We are here to support you and I believe you can do this.

Reactions: 4 users

Ellipses for plural?

You're obviously academically capable. Finish out the bio degree with a 3.7 or better for MD, 3.5 or better for DO. Get a 506+ for DO and 514+ for MD with good ECs and you should be good to go. Good luckl

Update: 2 semesters of all A's....I'm on my way...1st semester was 16 credits...this semester was 17 credits and next semester will be 18 credits....I'll face orgo for the first time....hope everyone is still doing well and again I appreciate the support

• Love
Reactions: 26 users
You've been doing well. Keep up the good work; you took the W's for a good reason and if you do well have a good story about overcoming adversity. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
You've been doing well. Keep up the good work; you took the W's for a good reason and if you do well have a good story about overcoming adversity. Good luck!
I will continue to do well...next semester will definitely be tough but I know I can do it....I have to say my proudest moment last semester was getting an A in gen chem 2...I never took that class and I ended up with a 92% and the A line was a 73%...the class is heavily curved but I didn't need the curve because I did well on the exams...I know I am capable :) ....some people on here had some harsh criticism of me in the beginning but I understood it....it motivated me to prove them wrong...that I am in fact a good student....hopefully when I get to where I want to be...my success story will motivate someone else....I will continue with the updates....thanks for your support friend!

Last edited:
Good on you. Keep up the good work. You don't need to ace everything; if you get a B in organic chemistry and As in everything else that's still a 3.8 and pretty good. Get some volunteer work in, get some clinical exposure in. Keep doing what you have been doing until graduation and you are golden if you do well on the MCAT. Those Ws aren't Fs. The hole you're in isn't all that deep, and good on you for climbing out of it.

I had 26 Ws, 3 Fs, and a few Cs. Also non-trad with significant upward trend and good ECs. Got multiple MD acceptances and start third year rotations in a couple weeks. Keep doing well now and you can absolutely get in.
I've actually seen your story before on sdn...you did mention your W's were double digits but I didn't know it was 26....I applaud you and your story does motivate me....thanks for the motivation!

Good on you. Keep up the good work. You don't need to ace everything; if you get a B in organic chemistry and As in everything else that's still a 3.8 and pretty good. Get some volunteer work in, get some clinical exposure in. Keep doing what you have been doing until graduation and you are golden if you do well on the MCAT. Those Ws aren't Fs. The hole you're in isn't all that deep, and good on you for climbing out of it.
Will do...I'll always try for the A but if orgo is a B I won't get upset! Thanks again for your support!

@ChiArmenian keep up the strong academic work, but don’t ignore your EC.
Assure 300hrs each clinical experience (ok to get paid) and non clinical volunteering ideally with the less fortunate.

Your GPA will be the least of your concerns if you keep up with mostly A’s and couple of B’s as long as you Make sure all recommended ECs are done. Admission will then come down to your MCAT since your whole story of upward grade trend, SES disadvantaged, and medical caregiver for your two relatives (can probably count as clinical experience as well) all will make you a Stronger Candidate than most with the same Mcat and you’ll be able to shoot high with multiple A’s to come.

Don't call the medical caregiving clinical experience, but it's fine to write about it in your personal statement.
There might be programs where you're paid by the state to take care of your family members (instead of an in-home caretaker); if you were part of one of those programs, you might want to ask someone like LizzyM or Goro about how to include that. It's a gray area. In any event, get a couple hundred hours each of clinical and nonclinical volunteering, keep up the upward trend, do well on the MCAT, and you're a strong applicant.

Hey all,

Hope you all are doing well! This semester has been kind of tough for me. The way it's looking now, I might get all A's (including organic chemistry). However, I might get a B or C in Genetics. Genetics at my school is very difficult. I'm proud i'm doing well in orgo but i'm upset about genetics. My school has a redemption policy for the final exam. I can get an A but it is unlikely because they make the final extremely difficult. So i'm hoping for a B but in the event it turns out to be a C, i know that's not going to look good but I'm literally trying my best. More than half of my class failed the last exam and it's been tough. Am I worrying too much?