Gynecologic Oncology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kakarrott

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have searched this forum and the last thread for this topic is dated in 2005. So I wanted to ask if something changed, if it is still as competetive as was stated in that old thread.
Also I wanted to ask if is true that you combine here aspects of medical oncology and surgical oncology at once therefore you are, at some degree, hybrid betweed doctor and surgeon. I am not sure about that but it was told to me so I want to ask you who knows better :)
I also heard that it is to some degree dying speciality that would be divided into some others including surgical oncology and some more, can I ask what is truth about that? :)

Members don't see this ad.

-Still a competitive fellowship to match into. Largely depends on where you went to residency. If it was a community program, forget about matching the fellowship.
-They are generally trained to surgically resect gynecologic cancers and also administer/supervise chemotherapy regimens.
-Depending on where you practice and an individual practice set up, some Gyn Oncologists administer/supervise their own chemotherapy regimens per GOG protocols etc. At some facilities, chemotherapy is done under the supervision of heme/onc. I rotate through a county facility that has it set up where heme/onc administers/supervises the chemotherapy and gyn oncology does not really do much with it.