Half The Salary/ But Half the patients.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bananas85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please bear with me, I feel bad making another thread about my job crisis;

But is there a hospitalist job where I can make half the money (110 - 130k) but only have to see half the patients (8-12) . If so where and how do I search for such a job, what would be the key words.

Basically a ridiculous Work Life balance.

I dont want to come across lazy cause I dont believe I am, but I do want to have as stress free life, but still work inpatient. I want to provide the Best care I can provide to my capabilities, and go to bed at night knowing that I did all I could do for the patient,... took my time to answer family questions, update everyone and their mama.. etc.

Members don't see this ad.

But is there a hospitalist job where I can make half the money (110 - 130k) but only have to see half the patients (8-12) . If so where and how do I search for such a job, what would be the key words.

I dont want to come across lazy cause I dont believe I am, but I do want to have as stress free life, but still work inpatient. I want to provide the Best care I can provide to my capabilities, and go to bed at night knowing that I did all I could do for the patient,... took my time to answer family questions, update everyone and their mama.. etc.
8-12 is a typical census in a number of big cities I have friends at, with salaries that are significantly more than that. It's all a question of location really.

You're better off just looking for a part time position. There is no group that is going to hire you and say "we'll only give you 8-12 patients/day" That wouldn't be fair to your partners. The other option would be to find a small hospital somewhere that has a low patient load, but that isn't a guarantee either as things can change overtime. Unfortunately, in this country, primary care providers will continue to be expected to see a lot of patients every day. If you're going to work as a hospitalist, 15-20 per day is a more realistic expectation, unless the census is low for short periods or you happen to get lucky and find a job with an incredibly low patient load (I wish I could find one that only had 8-12/day). Most contracts will have RVU minimums that must be met and in order to achieve those minimums you have to be productive.
Part time work is a good possibility though. You might only be expected to work say 100 days per year as a 1/2 time employee. The days you work would be busy, but only working 8 or 9 days a month is a very tolerable schedule. If I could afford it, I'd be doing that now.

Yes. There are definitely jobs out there purely based on RVUs, where you can slack off and just take home less cash. On the other hand, you may also has a very low or non-existant "base" salary.

But keep in mind that in tighter markets, you may not be able to find a salaried position with half the work load and half the money, because employers are paying full price for your benefits and malpractice insurance. They rather just hire someone who will do MORE work for MORE money, because that works out in their favor proportionally.