happiest medical students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
automaton said:
all this talk about happy medical students is pretty funny from my perspective. it's like sheep headed for slaughter. i think if you ask your questions carefully you will find one of three things about so-called "happy" medical students:

1. by "happy" they mean "not yet utterly depressed beyond hope, still hanging on and thankful for it not being any worse"
2. they are doped up on drugs above prescribed levels
3. they are utter tools that most people want to stab in the face

medical school sucks ass. happiness and medical school is mutually exclusive. the best you can hope for are states of intermittent not-sadness. so the next time a bunch of people seem "really happy to be there!" to you, keep those 3 categories in mind.

Wow, this is a depressing view on med school. I am actually really happy. Can't speak for clinical years, as I imagine they will be somewhat grueling (3rd), but the basic science part of medical school is overhyped. I don't know why everybody acts like it's hell on earth. I might even say it's better than undergrad. I mean gosh dammit, I have multiple choice tests, and I can't even remember the last time I had to do a project. Out by mid-afternoon everyday. Your only responsibility is to study as much as you feel like :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Sean2tall said:
I am actually really happy.

That's because you're a first year. Come back next year and say the same thing. Then we'll all just think you're crazy. Believe me, it gets worse the longer you're in. The sustained frenzy coupled with increasing workload and increasing amounts of BS will begin to piss you off eventually...

As you have all noticed, every medical school has a different attitude/atmosphere. However, that attitude can change from year to year.

Every class will have about 1/4 gunners, 1/2 "i'll work hard, but have fun doing it," people and 1/4 quiet, "hey I didn't even know that guy was in our class" people.

In the end though, happiness in med school is all about how you approach life. I have classmates that make their lives miserable by staying at home and reading at every opportunity they get. Maybe that makes some people happy, but for the majority that is just plain depressing.

I'm a fourth year now and have seen a couple classes go through most of the curriculum and the breakdown I gave you above always seems to hold true...

Just wait until you start med school and decide what category you think you'll be happiest in...

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! I'M SURE YOU WILL ALL DO GREAT WHEREVER YOU GO!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm... I've read through this thread, and am trying to get a handle on what the source of unhappiness in med school is. I'm assuming it's essentially the strain of a tough work load, over many years? If this is the case, I'm not sure what good it would be going to any particular school over another (other than choosing a pass/fail school).

happiness is always temporary (as is sadness)

Also, happiness can easily be equated with homogeneity so always take a school or students opinion with a grain of salt.

leechy said:
I'm assuming it's essentially the strain of a tough work load, over many years?

It's alot more than that, but I just wrote a nice long post with some of the reasons and SDN lost it. So I'll let you find out... If it was only a tough work load over many years, it wouldn't be bad.

Neuronix said:
That's because you're a first year. Come back next year and say the same thing. Then we'll all just think you're crazy. Believe me, it gets worse the longer you're in. The sustained frenzy coupled with increasing workload and increasing amounts of BS will begin to piss you off eventually...

Yawn. If you say so. I am getting tired of people telling me what I will and will not do. I really understand the term "sophomore" now.

Sean2tall said:
Yawn. If you say so. I am getting tired of people telling me what I will and will not do. I really understand the term "sophomore" now.

Dude, be careful. that's a moderator your talking to.

BigRedPingpong said:
Dude, be careful. that's a moderator your talking to.

Ah yes. . :oops: doo do dee doo Nothing to see here, my mistake.

*dodges lightening bolt*

WalterSobchakk said:
Every UF med student I've talked to raves about the school. Also, HUMC :horns:.

Really? I've met some pretty depressed students there.

Annual surveys show that Vanderbilt is THE top school for student satisfaction. Likewise, the AAMC reports that Uniformed Services University students are generally happy where they are.

Long Dong said:
ya know ugly girls need love too. :D

Yeah, but they gotta pay for it.

Sean2tall said:

You should have chosen the red pill.

Sean2tall said:
I am getting tired of people telling me what I will and will not do.

I didn't say what you would do, I just said what I thought you would probably do based on the experience of medical students I know--including my fiancee who is a Temple second year. In fact, I left quite a bit of room for you to continue to enjoy medical school. That's the case in which we would say you were crazy.

Neuronix said:
I didn't say what you would do, I just said what I thought you would probably do based on the experience of medical students I know.

Semantics . .

I think the hierarchical system of school, training, etc. just makes everybody want to tell you how it's going to be. Hence, the "wise fool" and whathaveyou. The best advice I got upon coming to medical school was to disregard all of the advice that everyone is trying to give you, which, itself, was advice . . hmmm.

Call me crazy if you want. But I think it's silly for happiness to depend on what your job is (school).