Hardest Pre-med courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IDKwhatmynameshouldbe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Rank these courses from most to least difficult, please:

Genetics
OChem 1
Physics 1
Ecology
Biochem
Intro to Neuro
Human Physiology

I want to take 2 of these courses over the summer, 3 at the same time in the fall semester, and the rest I will take later. What combination would be the most feasible to manage?

Members don't see this ad.

Um... that kinda depends on you! Nobody but you can answer that question.

Reactions: 6 users
Really subjective. We had a thread the other day where some ranked organic chem as very hard and physics as minimally. By contrast ochem was my second highest grade in all of college and yet I was constantly trying to keep my head above the water in physics. So I would strongly disagree, but we're all different.

I think conceptually physics, biochem, and maybe neuro (never took a full class on it) would be more difficult whereas the rest are more difficult on the basis of the amount of content you have to remember.

You should definitely take genetics and ochem before biochem (probably required anyways) so you can automatically rule out taking those on the same semester. But they are both content heavy classes. So maybe genetics in the summer, ochem in the fall, and then biochem later on. Then maybe pair your summer genetics class with an easier biology like ecology. Then maybe physics and another biology in fall with ochem.

All I can really do is brain storm what I would do. By no means should you assume that's the right approach for you. Just sharing my thoughts of how I would approach it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Depends very much on the student and professor. For me, biochemistry has been a lot harder than the other premed courses because there is a lot of minutiae. Other students are having no problem acing exams I'm making B's on.

Too variable, you'll have to decide for yourself.

I'm going to do Ecology and OChem 1 at a public college over summer, then OChem 2, Genetics, PHYS 1, bio lab, OChem lab in the fall. What do you all think?

I'm a little confused. What does the bio lab pair with? Genetics? Assuming so I think you could make it work. I took Genetics and Ochem2 the same semester and they were two of my highest grades in my undergrad. I would personally feel a tad overwhelmed having physics on top of two content heavy classes but I'm exceptionally bad at physics so maybe you'd be fine. If it were me though I'd kick physics back later and replace it with a non-lab bio like neuro or physiology. But that's just me. You don't need physics as a prereq for another course do you?

I'm going to do Ecology and OChem 1 at a public college over summer, then OChem 2, Genetics, PHYS 1, bio lab, OChem lab in the fall. What do you all think?

Your plan sounds doable to me. I took Chemistry I & II last Summer and it wasn't that bad. This semester, I'm taking Biochem, Ochem II, Physics II, and Biology II all with lab and it's killer.

Your plan sounds doable to me. I took Chemistry I & II last Summer and it wasn't that bad. This semester, I'm taking Biochem, Ochem II, Physics II, and Biology II all with lab and it's killer.

Lol no wonder you're struggling with the biochem man. I know lots of people do it that way, but I was never a fan of trying to cram more than 3 sciences a semester. Usually only two with a lab if I could. That's just a lot to juggle.

Lol no wonder you're struggling with the biochem man. I know lots of people do it that way, but I was never a fan of trying to cram more than 3 sciences a semester. Usually only two with a lab if I could. That's just a lot to juggle.

You're probably right about that. The other three classes are going really well though. I can still make an A in Biochem, I just need to reallocate my time.

The way your professor teaches, the way your professor designs the tests, and your own personal strengths all have such a heavy influence on this question such that no one will ever give you an objective answer.

Subjective. Ecology in my school is a GPA killer.

On a population basis, having looked at thousands of transcripts over the years, I would say that O-chem I and II tend to be the hardest on GPA.

Reactions: 3 users
All of the premed courses can be difficult or easy depending on the circumstances of the instructor/classroom dynamics etc.

Honestly though, once you move out of the typical premed classes - the other upper division sciences are all more difficult than any premed course. PChem, Molecular, Quantum mech, DiffEQ....

Have sympathy for your non-Premed compatriots and count yourself lucky that Ochem will likely be your hardest course.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
On a population basis, having looked at thousands of transcripts over the years, I would say that O-chem I and II tend to be the hardest on GPA.

I still remember my AP Chemistry teacher telling me that OChem II was her only B in college!

I personally found ochem manageable. But physics kicked my butt! I just can’t get my head around the formulas. Mostly cause I have a tendency to overthink everything. It wasn’t enough for the professor to tell me “A + B = C”. I had to understand where everything comes from and how each part of the equation is derived. So I ended up even more confused....

Admittedly my biggest weakness is the fact that I have a hard time dealing with the unknown.

I still remember my AP Chemistry teacher telling me that OChem II was her only B in college!

I personally found ochem manageable. But physics kicked my butt! I just can’t get my head around the formulas. Mostly cause I have a tendency to overthink everything.
Biggest thing I have taken from physics is just unit analysis. Screw formula memorization... you need the answer to be in J/(Kg*C°)? Well, I’ve got mass, two temps, a force and a distance...let’s see what I can do lol

Reactions: 2 users
Biggest thing I have taken from physics is just unit analysis. Screw formula memorization... you need the answer to be in J/(Kg*C°)? Well, I’ve got mass, two temps, a force and a distance...let’s see what I can do lol

This is exactly how I answered two of my MCAT questions. Rather than working out the numberical answer I just simplified the units for each answer choice and matched it to what the question was asking.

This is exactly how I answered two of my MCAT questions. Rather than working out the numberical answer I just simplified the units for each answer choice and matched it to what the question was asking.
The example I gave was from the AAMC Sample test lol

Hopefully I still remember all of these units tomorrow. Why the heck am I still up at midnight when my MCAT is in 7 hours?

Last edited by a moderator:
The example I gave was from the AC Sample test lol

Hopefully I still remember all of these units tomorrow. Why the heck am I still up at midnight when my MCAT is in 7 hours?

OMG DUDE YOU GOTTA GET SOME SLEEP. I’M ROOTING FOR YOU MAN!

Attachments

• 4B81DF46-BECD-48A0-AEC3-6E450DC94EC6.jpeg
    4B81DF46-BECD-48A0-AEC3-6E450DC94EC6.jpeg
    44.3 KB · Views: 114
When I was in undergrad, I took ochem 2, biochem, physics 2, and human physiology all in the same semester. Wasn't as difficult as med school, but it got pretty close.

Agree with the above. This is highly dependent on your university and/or your professor. Furthermore, not everyone finds the same classes hard/easy.

In my experience:
Genetics > Ochem = Gen chem = Neuro > physics 1.

Didn’t take ecology at my school, heard it was a piss-easy blowoff.

Didn’t take human physiology, heard it was a relatively easy upper-level.

I didn’t struggle very much in any of the above classes. I can’t stress enough that it’s highly dependent on you, the school and the professor.

All of the premed courses can be difficult or easy depending on the circumstances of the instructor/classroom dynamics etc.

Honestly though, once you move out of the typical premed classes - the other upper division sciences are all more difficult than any premed course. PChem, Molecular, Quantum mech, DiffEQ....

Have sympathy for your non-Premed compatriots and count yourself lucky that Ochem will likely be your hardest course.

Yeah I don't know if that's helpful to this post, but it's true. My undergrad was in biochem and I don't think any of my peers would have listed ochem as one of their more challenging courses. PChem was pretty much universally regarded as "the" nightmare course and we were lucky that we only had to take a one semester survey while chem majors were taking two semesters lol. Really though, ochem is like intro chemistry at that level. All it did was open the door to much more difficult classes lol

Anyhow, none of this goes to say ochem isn't hard or to discourage anyone for finding it so. Chemistry is hard period and for many Ochem is the highest level of chemistry they will take. If this point is going to be brought up it needs to be helpful. To that end, I think the point here is you need to take other peoples perspectives on course difficulty with a grain of salt. Is an engineer turned pre-med telling you a biology course is hard? A biochem major turned premed telling you a chemistry course is easy? A biology major telling you a chemistry course is difficult? And of course there are differences in course difficulty as mentioned in my example of survey pchem vs two semester pchem. Some people here seem to have 1 biochem class. I had 3 minimum. Bio majors at my school had 2 minimum. I took calc-based physics, bio majors took trig-based physics. Nursing majors had weirdly condensed chemistry survey courses. Yet everyone who chimes in these threads just talks about these classes like we're all taking the exact same thing.

Anyhow samualjhatfield, you better kill that MCAT today. I am not by any means jealous of you right now. But I expect you're going to be in maximum chill mode tonight. I'm sort of jealous of that.

Lol could you explain it pls

Lol it's disturbing I don't know what it means... I only took my MCAT a year ago :confused: The pace at which we forget...

Something to do with the strength of reducing agent?

Lol could you explain it pls

LiAlH4 is an extremely dangerous reducing agent. It can cause extreme explosions.

NaBH4 is a much safer alternative.

Last edited by a moderator:
It varies so much at my University depending on what professor you end up blessed/stuck with.

I learned in junior year how to master ratemyprofessor and I dodged a huge GPA sinking physiology professor thanks to it.

LiAlH4 is an extremely dangerous reducing agent. It can cause extreme explosions.

NaBH4 is a much safer alternative.

Ah. I knew it was something to do with a reducing agent.

Nah, it’s something I SHOULDVE known. Especially while I’m prepping to take the MCAT now lol

How far into it are you? And how are you prepping? Definitely something you should know for the MCAT. If you're just starting, then no big deal that's understandable. If you have been studying for a while and not prepping the right way then that's something else to focus on. I found the 7 book kaplan series almost entirely sufficient as far as knowledge basics with the exception of the psychology and sociology book.

How far into it are you? And how are you prepping? Definitely something you should know for the MCAT. If you're just starting, then no big deal that's understandable. If you have been studying for a while and not prepping the right way then that's something else to focus on. I found the 7 book kaplan series almost entirely sufficient as far as knowledge basics with the exception of the psychology and sociology book.

Just started. Taking it in January so I’ve got time gonna go ham on it in the Fall

Carboxylic acids are studied in depth about 2/3 into the semester of Organic chem II, so I don’t know if you’ve gotten that far yet.

I always look at apps to see if they took any of the more difficult pre reqs in summer school. We would prefer to see how students perform with a more challenging courseload during the regular term.

Carboxylic acids are studied in depth about 2/3 into the semester of Organic chem II, so I don’t know if you’ve gotten that far yet.

But Carboxylic Acids and the other derivatives happens to be the easiest portion of O Chem II .

that's just my 2cents

I always look at apps to see if they took any of the more difficult pre reqs in summer school. We would prefer to see how students perform with a more challenging courseload during the regular term.

And I pity the fools who get sucked into taking o-chem as freshmen because they had AP chemistry. There is hardly a worse decision for an aspiring pre-med.

Reactions: 3 users
And I pity the fools who get sucked into taking o-chem as freshmen because they had AP chemistry. There is hardly a worse decision for an aspiring pre-med.

I guess I'm an odd one. I loved O Chem I & II. Very little to no stress while taking these.
Physics on the other hand, Yeesh :dead:. "Wore me Out" :diebanana:

I have. Don’t recall learning it tho. Orgo ii was A LOT of NMR for me

I guess I'm an odd one. I loved O Chem I & II. Very little to no stress while taking these.
Physics on the other hand, Yeesh :dead:. "Wore me Out" :diebanana:

I loved Orgo but MAN was it difficult for me!!! I did well and breezed through physics and calc tho

So I want to take OChem over the summer, and I will receive a transcript for it. Would med schools still accept this?

I loved Orgo but MAN was it difficult for me!!! I did well and breezed through physics and calc tho

You are certainly Math Oriented. I do well in Math, but I will avoid it any chance I get. I stopped at Pre-Cal only b/c they required it to take Physics.

You are certainly Math Oriented. I do well in Math, but I will avoid it any chance I get. I stopped at Pre-Cal only b/c they required it to take Physics.

Yeah. I did well in gen chem as well. Always enjoyed algebra.

OChem 1 ~ Physics 1 < Intro to Neuro < Genetics < Biochem < Human Physiology
Didn't take ecology.

Algebra based Physics 1 is about the same difficulty as HS physics or AP physics B. Calculus based physics I is about HS AP physics C level. OChem1 is less mathy and more about pattern recognition. I'm not sure why Ochem II is not a hard req for med school because the depth of Ochem 1 is simply not enough.
I took intro to neuro and I've looked at other uni's version and they all seem to be geared towards underclassmen, so it doesn't involve much incorporation with genetics or biochem.
Genetics and biochem (and cell bio) are possibly the most important UG classes for bio major, and you need to know those before starting with human phys.

Obviously extremely professor dependent.

Take histo and/or immuno instead of ecology.