Harvard HST interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kokonut

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hihi everyone,

Does anyone have any experience with a Harvard HST interview? I have one next week and I'm a little anxious -- there's almost nothing on the interview feedback site. Did anyone get asked anything that really threw them for a loop? What kind of stuff did they focus on?

I would love any PMs or posts about any experiences!! :love:

koko

Members don't see this ad.

a lot of people prolly wont repsond just because a lot of us harvard wouldnt even touch with a ten foot pole.

but if you got an interview there then i dont think there is too much you need to worry about. im assuming you are intelligent and sincere and pretty quick. so im sure you wont have too much trouble with anything they ask.

good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
yea, I'm going there in 10 days or so. My interview schedule said there are two interviews, one with a student and one with two faculties. I don't think it will be that bad, b/c you probably been on a lot of interviews by now. Since HST's missions is to focus on academic medicine, I would know your research really well. Good luck.

My problem is that I have never had anyone ask me about my research before so I don't know what to expect. What kind of research ?s do they ask?

what research are you doing?

can you elaborate on that?

specific things about your research i suppose....kinda hard without knowing what you are researching etc...

but then again...i have no idea what im talking about haha.

Make sure that you can talk about your research on a broad level. If you're working in genetics, for example, make sure that you know what the gene you're studying actually does. I talked to a director of a pretty prestigious MSTP program, and she said that her biggest pet peeve and the number one reason that they rejected qualified candidates was that candidates could discuss their role in the experiment, but could not discuss it on a higher level.

Good luck!

kokonut,

do they email you the interview schedule?

is one of the interviews with 2 people?:confused: ...i've never had a "group" interview before...

hi everyone
i interviewed at hst in nov. and i really enjoyed it.

the two person interview was not as scary as it may sound. both of my faculty interviewers during this group interview were super nice. however, it was hard to make eye contact and vary it up so you are not just starring at one person all the time.

the asked me lots of questions about research, so know your research well! they also asked me what i wanted to do in the future, and asked me specifically which areas of academic medicine i'm interested in.

the student interview was chill as usual and everyone i met was super nice.

hope this helps,
envelope

thank you, envelope, for the very helpful reply!!

another question - did you notice any sort of "isolation" between the hst students and the new pathway students?

well
hst and new pathways kinda have a little friendly rivalry i guess you would call it....they each think they are better than the other.

they take separate classes so they don't get much interaction although all classes are at harvard in boston.

so yeah there is a gap because they don't have classes together but i think overall everyone gets along...

i mainly talked with new pathways students....there were few hst students since it is a smaller class but the hst students that i did talk to seem really friendly and all get along with each other in their own program.

thanks for the tips HollyJ and envelope!

medhopeful -- yes i have one interview with two faculty members and one student interview. i'm pretty nervous ... i've never been grilled on research by a single person before, let alone two.

if anyone has any more hints on important things to know about my research / questions, would definitely appreciate!

good luck, kokonut!!

let us know how it goes!:)

Originally posted by kokonut
thanks for the tips HollyJ and envelope!

medhopeful -- yes i have one interview with two faculty members and one student interview. i'm pretty nervous ... i've never been grilled on research by a single person before, let alone two.

if anyone has any more hints on important things to know about my research / questions, would definitely appreciate!

When I interviewed at a "research" oriented school, I took a copy of my poster and publications along with me (just in case). I downsized one of my posters into the size of a page and when my interviewer probed me on a part of my research, I took it out and elaborated. Plus, it helps putting pictures with words.

I think they were impressed, because one of my interviewers said, "wow, that's a first." I think it made a good impression: that guy who brought a downsized poster with him. Still waiting on that school tho (pleeese take me, I love you :love: ) :D.

hey all. i have an hst interview coming up and i was wondering if they are also considering me for new pathway...or if i am going to have an extra interview for np?

and, as far as the visual aids - i think it's probably warranted to bring in a copy of your publications and posters. i had a poster as an undergraduate (i'm a graduate student right now) but was wondering if it would be useful to bring in a tastefully done sheet prepared for the interview for visual aid-ish help in explaining my research now as i do pretty unconventional stuff that most people have not come across. i wouldn't want to do that if it were to appear strange, though.

also, for any people who have interviewed already there - any advice? did the students seem friendly, happy, non-gunnerish? and any updated stats on interviewed/accepted for each program?

thanks!

hey strangeattractor,

congrats on the interview. no update on interviews/acceptances because they don't give out acceptances until march 1.

i think if you were being considered for new pathway, you would know. when i called to schedule my hst, they told me to call the new pathway office to coordinate my new pathway interview for the same time. i think that this year they're trying to set it up so that all hst interviewees with new pathway interviews have them back-to-back.

about the students, i thought they seemed great! goodluck!

hi strangeattractor,

i also interviewed for both programs. i got my invitation for HST in the mail, followed by the NP invitation a week later via email.

i found students in both programs to be extremely brilliant, yet very down-to-earth. needless to say, i had a great time in boston.

does anyone know when decisions are being mailed out? i've heard in the past that HST acceptances were mailed out earlier than NP?

good luck on your interviews strangeattractor!!

thank you to all, and good luck to you guys as well!