Harvard Medical School chances? WHAT DO YOU THINK?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Gunner4life

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good Evening Everyone,

I am currently a student from Pennsylvania College of Technology and I am majoring in Aviation Maintenance and Technology. I have a 3.4 GPA and I am studying religiously for the MCAT. Harvard Medical School is the only school I will accept, I want the best.

My goal is to become a respected Plastic Surgeon. I will give all my effort to reach this goal.

My questions are how hard is it to get into Harvard Medical School? And should I take my MCAT in my senior year or Junior year? so it can compensate for my mediocre GPA.

I will appreciate any help or advice I receive. Thank you for your time. 🙂
 
Can you break your cGPA down by semester? A good upward trend will do wonders for your app. Also, do you have good ECs?

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk
 
Good Evening Everyone,

I am currently a student from Pennsylvania College of Technology and I am majoring in Aviation Maintenance and Technology. I have a 3.4 GPA and I am studying religiously for the MCAT. Harvard Medical School is the only school I will accept, I want the best.

My goal is to become a respected Plastic Surgeon. I will give all my effort to reach this goal.

My questions are how hard is it to get into Harvard Medical School? And should I take my MCAT in my senior year or Junior year? so it can compensate for my mediocre GPA.

I will appreciate any help or advice I receive. Thank you for your time. 🙂
Gave away the troll status.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Gave away the troll status.

I'm not at a troll by any means. I was just showing a slightly aggressive attitude to give off a good first impression since I am new to these forums and want to be taken seriously. Guess that back fired haha. I'm simply asking for some advice from some of the members here who have some experience in this challenging career path that we all chose to embark on.
 
Last edited:
I'm not at a troll by any means. I was just showing a slightly aggressive attitude to give off a good first impression since I am new to these forums and want to be taken seriously. Guess that back fired haha. I'm simply asking for some advice from some of the members here who have some experience in this challenging career path that we all chose to embark on.

lol I hope for your sake you are a troll because if not then you're prob one of the most delusional pre meds out there and need to get your head out of your butt.
 
lol the troll came back to say it's real. What next? "Dudes, when you're a doctor, how do you keep track of all the swedish bikini models that want you and how do you decide between a ferrari or a lambo?"
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good Evening Everyone,

I am currently a student from Pennsylvania College of Technology and I am majoring in Aviation Maintenance and Technology. I have a 3.4 GPA and I am studying religiously for the MCAT. Harvard Medical School is the only school I will accept, I want the best.

My goal is to become a respected Plastic Surgeon. I will give all my effort to reach this goal.

My questions are how hard is it to get into Harvard Medical School? And should I take my MCAT in my senior year or Junior year? so it can compensate for my mediocre GPA.

I will appreciate any help or advice I receive. Thank you for your time. 🙂
mid 20's oughta get you there bud
 
Ohhh Gawwdd... Look man, there are so many people trying to gun for Harvard with close to 4.0/40-something MCAT its not even funny. Your MCAT should definitely be over 40 and even then you need to stand out on your application from the giant pile of ridiculously high GPA and MCAT applicants.
 
I got a 2.9 and a 21 on the MCAT but johns hopkins let me in because of my determination and because I wanted it. I am teh best now. Im gonna live in hollywood and party with stars and such.
 
Ohhh Gawwdd... Look man, there are so many people trying to gun for Harvard with close to 4.0/40-something MCAT its not even funny. Your MCAT should definitely be over 40 and even then you need to stand out on your application from the giant pile of ridiculously high GPA and MCAT applicants.

Not to say he is right but there aren't that many people with >3.9 >40 at all and not all of them are gunning for Harvard. And if you got those stats you already stand out.
 
Good Evening Everyone,

I am currently a student from Pennsylvania College of Technology and I am majoring in Aviation Maintenance and Technology. I have a 3.4 GPA and I am studying religiously for the MCAT. Harvard Medical School is the only school I will accept, I want the best.

My goal is to become a respected Plastic Surgeon. I will give all my effort to reach this goal.

My questions are how hard is it to get into Harvard Medical School? And should I take my MCAT in my senior year or Junior year? so it can compensate for my mediocre GPA.

I will appreciate any help or advice I receive. Thank you for your time. 🙂


I highly recommend that you transfer to ITT. Harvard loves ITT graduates!!! :laugh:
 
Good Evening Everyone,

I am currently a student from Pennsylvania College of Technology and I am majoring in Aviation Maintenance and Technology. I have a 3.4 GPA and I am studying religiously for the MCAT. Harvard Medical School is the only school I will accept, I want the best.

My goal is to become a respected Plastic Surgeon. I will give all my effort to reach this goal.

My questions are how hard is it to get into Harvard Medical School? And should I take my MCAT in my senior year or Junior year? so it can compensate for my mediocre GPA.

I will appreciate any help or advice I receive. Thank you for your time. 🙂

Is this "Harvard" one of them newfangled Care-ribb-e-on medical skewls I keep hurrin' bout?

(I really hope this is a troll, because if not, we are driving away someone who REALLY needs some guidance...)
 
Is this "Harvard" one of them newfangled Care-ribb-e-on medical skewls I keep hurrin' bout?

(I really hope this is a troll, because if not, we are driving away someone who REALLY needs some guidance...)

duh. harvard is part of the big five. AUC, ROSS, SABA, St George, and harvard. its my fav carribean school, but the island its on sucks. the one near china
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm not at a troll by any means. I was just showing a slightly aggressive attitude to give off a good first impression since I am new to these forums and want to be taken seriously. Guess that back fired haha. I'm simply asking for some advice from some of the members here who have some experience in this challenging career path that we all chose to embark on.

To me this particular answer rings true. In my experience from meeting people at the ivy league, most in the banking field, there is a very gunner like attitude, that is many times outright viscous in tone. This is not the culture of SDN much. I would say add as much ivy on the resume as you can and build connections. Honestly I would rather have a UCLA grad give me some microlipo or botox in the forehead than a Harvard guy. There are plenty of exceptional plastic surgeons that went to other schools. This is the particular field where I would not think Harvard means you are the best. This is cosmetic stuff, beauty, a whole different ballgame, it is brawn over brains (even though the highest board scores are required through normal match). Yes Harvard is respected, but look everywhere on the internet for pictures and what not, does the Harvard nerd plastic surgeon really do the best job? I would say go anywhere for med school (the confidence you have though will help tremendously in interviews; cause when it comes down to it, we are all people, and interviewers probably don't care one way or another, but if they see some below stats person who is under-confident, that's just one more reason to deny them; does anybody like somebody who says hey how am I doing, am I doing OK, you catch my drift). I don't have the answer for Harvard, but it seems like an Alumni, donation, or super high MCAT plus research in a top Harvard lab linked directly to admissions committee members and the appearance of the school may help. Shadowing with top Harvard docs only. Meet lots of people from Harvard in the medical field. Have them revise your essays and what not, to put it on tier of the Harvard faculty level. Maybe apply to a research MD program, ie MD/PhD after you work in someone's lab at Harvard, I dunno, I am clueless on this one, best to you.
 
To me this particular answer rings true. In my experience from meeting people at the ivy league, most in the banking field, there is a very gunner like attitude, that is many times outright viscous in tone. This is not the culture of SDN much. I would say add as much ivy on the resume as you can and build connections. Honestly I would rather have a UCLA grad give me some microlipo or botox in the forehead than a Harvard guy. There are plenty of exceptional plastic surgeons that went to other schools. This is the particular field where I would not think Harvard means you are the best. This is cosmetic stuff, beauty, a whole different ballgame, it is brawn over brains (even though the highest board scores are required through normal match). Yes Harvard is respected, but look everywhere on the internet for pictures and what not, does the Harvard nerd plastic surgeon really do the best job? I would say go anywhere for med school (the confidence you have though will help tremendously in interviews; cause when it comes down to it, we are all people, and interviewers probably don't care one way or another, but if they see some below stats person who is under-confident, that's just one more reason to deny them; does anybody like somebody who says hey how am I doing, am I doing OK, you catch my drift). I don't have the answer for Harvard, but it seems like an Alumni, donation, or super high MCAT plus research in a top Harvard lab linked directly to admissions committee members and the appearance of the school may help. Shadowing with top Harvard docs only. Meet lots of people from Harvard in the medical field. Have them revise your essays and what not, to put it on tier of the Harvard faculty level. Maybe apply to a research MD program, ie MD/PhD after you work in someone's lab at Harvard, I dunno, I am clueless on this one, best to you.

You may have outdone OP here.
 
To me this particular answer rings true. In my experience from meeting people at the ivy league, most in the banking field, there is a very gunner like attitude, that is many times outright viscous in tone. This is not the culture of SDN much. I would say add as much ivy on the resume as you can and build connections. Honestly I would rather have a UCLA grad give me some microlipo or botox in the forehead than a Harvard guy. There are plenty of exceptional plastic surgeons that went to other schools. This is the particular field where I would not think Harvard means you are the best. This is cosmetic stuff, beauty, a whole different ballgame, it is brawn over brains (even though the highest board scores are required through normal match). Yes Harvard is respected, but look everywhere on the internet for pictures and what not, does the Harvard nerd plastic surgeon really do the best job? I would say go anywhere for med school (the confidence you have though will help tremendously in interviews; cause when it comes down to it, we are all people, and interviewers probably don't care one way or another, but if they see some below stats person who is under-confident, that's just one more reason to deny them; does anybody like somebody who says hey how am I doing, am I doing OK, you catch my drift). I don't have the answer for Harvard, but it seems like an Alumni, donation, or super high MCAT plus research in a top Harvard lab linked directly to admissions committee members and the appearance of the school may help. Shadowing with top Harvard docs only. Meet lots of people from Harvard in the medical field. Have them revise your essays and what not, to put it on tier of the Harvard faculty level. Maybe apply to a research MD program, ie MD/PhD after you work in someone's lab at Harvard, I dunno, I am clueless on this one, best to you.




Thanks for taking the time to help an apparently potential "Troll" haha.

I appreciate everyone's comments especially the helpful ones.

I am graduating with my bachelors after only attending college for two years and I am currently in my last semester. I just recently discovered my desire to be involved in the medical field, therefore I am researching all the potential challenges and requirements needed to be an ideal candidate. Just yesterday I watched "Doctor Diaries" and that did it. Harvard is on the top of my list! Have any of you watched it yet? I highly recommend it. I've also read that minorities have a slight advantage In acceptance? Is there any proof of this?
 
Last edited:
Just yesterday I watched "Doctor Diaries" and that did it. Harvard is on the top of my list! Have any of you watched it yet? I highly recommend it.

I Netflixed it not too long ago. And while yes, I may recommend watching it so you have an idea of what some doctors go through, I found the majority of those people were whiny wimps.
 
Good Evening Everyone,

I am currently a student from Pennsylvania College of Technology and I am majoring in Aviation Maintenance and Technology. I have a 3.4 GPA and I am studying religiously for the MCAT. Harvard Medical School is the only school I will accept, I want the best.

My goal is to become a respected Plastic Surgeon. I will give all my effort to reach this goal.

My questions are how hard is it to get into Harvard Medical School? And should I take my MCAT in my senior year or Junior year? so it can compensate for my mediocre GPA.

I will appreciate any help or advice I receive. Thank you for your time. 🙂


I had to Google the school you were talking about to make sure you werent just making it up. I had never heard of Harvard before.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk
 
I would like to know what my chances are for getting into hms.

I graduated with a 2.85 from my undergrad 8 years ago (i really over extended myself with courses and extracurriculars; I also had stress and sleep issues). After I graduated I took a deep breath and started over slowly. I figured out how to deal with my stress and how to effectively manage my time. With an immense amount of postbac work I have raised my cGPA to a 3.526 and my bcpm GPA to a 3.535. I graduated with a masters in bioengineering this year with a 3.85 grad GPA as well. I scored a 42S on the MCAT, and although I know it doesn't matter too much, a 1560 on the GRE (760 verbal and 800 quant).

I have been relatively successful research wise with a first or second author position on 12 publications, a few abstracts, and a number of presentations. I will get some great letters from faculty members affiliated with some of the schools I'm interested in applying too.

In addition, over the past couple of years I have done a bit of shadowing. I have seen procedures as well as interacted with patients in clinics. I have volunteered for a couple missions working on engineering projects as well as helping other volunteering physicians. I have also volunteered in gospel choirs in poorer communities, teaching and playing music.

Extracurricular-wise I am a musician and have been playing since 2nd grade. I was first chair on my instrument in a number of ensembles in college and have continued to play after graduating. I won a couple of awards in high school (I know thats not too relevant now).

Will my overall application package will overshadow my abysmal college gpa? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
 
Nice thread resurrection.

Harvard is a longshot for everyone, even the 4.0/40's applicants. If you have your heart set on the big H, you will be surely disappointed. As I understand it, graduate degree GPA's don't count for much at all. I don' tknow how much postbac work you took, but I imagine you must've done a lot and well if you brought up a ugrad GPA of 2.85 to a 3.5.

I'm not sure how adcoms will view your 2.85, but your 42 will catch eyes.

You probably have a pretty good shot at some other top tier schools with your 42 and what I imagine must've been impressive postbac work. It is hard to tell for sure since it was 8 years ago.

I would like to know what my chances are for getting into hms.

I graduated with a 2.85 from my undergrad 8 years ago (i really over extended myself with courses and extracurriculars; I also had stress and sleep issues). After I graduated I took a deep breath and started over slowly. I figured out how to deal with my stress and how to effectively manage my time. With an immense amount of postbac work I have raised my cGPA to a 3.526 and my bcpm GPA to a 3.535. I graduated with a masters in bioengineering this year with a 3.85 grad GPA as well. I scored a 42S on the MCAT, and although I know it doesn't matter too much, a 1560 on the GRE (760 verbal and 800 quant).

I have been relatively successful research wise with a first or second author position on 12 publications, a few abstracts, and a number of presentations. I will get some great letters from faculty members affiliated with some of the schools I'm interested in applying too.

In addition, over the past couple of years I have done a bit of shadowing. I have seen procedures as well as interacted with patients in clinics. I have volunteered for a couple missions working on engineering projects as well as helping other volunteering physicians. I have also volunteered in gospel choirs in poorer communities, teaching and playing music.

Extracurricular-wise I am a musician and have been playing since 2nd grade. I was first chair on my instrument in a number of ensembles in college and have continued to play after graduating. I won a couple of awards in high school (I know thats not too relevant now).

Will my overall application package will overshadow my abysmal college gpa? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
 
Don't forget that some schools want the prerequisites to be current.
 
Thanks for taking the time to help an apparently potential "Troll" haha.

I appreciate everyone's comments especially the helpful ones.

I am graduating with my bachelors after only attending college for two years and I am currently in my last semester. I just recently discovered my desire to be involved in the medical field, therefore I am researching all the potential challenges and requirements needed to be an ideal candidate. Just yesterday I watched "Doctor Diaries" and that did it. Harvard is on the top of my list! Have any of you watched it yet? I highly recommend it. I've also read that minorities have a slight advantage In acceptance? Is there any proof of this?

You should go to Hopkins since that's where House went.
 
For those of you who have a specific school in mind. Your best bet is to talk to the medical students at that school and to speak with any recruiters from that school. They will be able to provide you with more realistic expectations and you can get your name out there. Participate in a summer program at the school you are interested in, and participate in premed activities offered by the school. Do some research there if you can. Talk to the graduates from your school who ended up going to that medical school. Also keep in mind this reality: There are some students who make it to the top universities, but end up not finishing for one reason or another. So make sure it is a right fit for you and your learning style. Yes, I know this is a troll post, but might as well be helpful to those who have one school they would really love to attend for medical school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for taking the time to help an apparently potential "Troll" haha.

I appreciate everyone's comments especially the helpful ones.

I am graduating with my bachelors after only attending college for two years and I am currently in my last semester. I just recently discovered my desire to be involved in the medical field, therefore I am researching all the potential challenges and requirements needed to be an ideal candidate. Just yesterday I watched "Doctor Diaries" and that did it. Harvard is on the top of my list! Have any of you watched it yet? I highly recommend it. I've also read that minorities have a slight advantage In acceptance? Is there any proof of this?

Graduating with a bachelors in only two years at a technical/vocational college is no more impressive than completing an AA/AS in two years at a community college. The fact that your interest in medicine was affirmed by a reality TV show is absurd, not to mention insulting - to people with genuine reasons for pursuing a career in medicine, as well as to any self-respecting member of an admissions committee or medical school faculty.

Let's be honest here: You likely know nothing about the process or the field, you like the lifestyles that you see on nip/tuck, you want lots of money, and you figure harvard is your golden ticket to such frivolity.

Do yourself a favor, and stick to building engines. Your more adept to making sure people don't die by way of an engine failure mid-flight than you are for someones emergency Botox treatment.
 
Not sure how hard it is to get into Harvard Medical School, but one of my own doctors went to Harvard for undergrad but actually went to Columbia U. for med school. I still wonder if he didn't get in or wanted a change in environment.
 
Not sure how hard it is to get into Harvard Medical School, but one of my own doctors went to Harvard for undergrad but actually went to Columbia U. for med school. I still wonder if he didn't get in or wanted a change in environment.

New York > Boston. Both are among the most hallowed of medical schools in the U.S. Easy choice to go to New York I think - there's a lot more the city has to offer, starting with the Yankees LOL.
 
Dude you are so getting in. They give strong preference to trolls. Just show up in a white coat and they will enroll you