Harvard Medical School GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

McKinseyMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that the average cGPA for accepted students at Harvard is 3.8, but what should I aim for? Is 3.8 the "cutoff," and anything above it treated the same, or is a higher cGPA better?

Members don't see this ad.

I know that the average cGPA for accepted students at Harvard is 3.8, but what should I aim for? Is 3.8 the "cutoff," and anything above it treated the same, or is a higher cGPA better?
Always aim for a 4.0 and a 45.
You get what you get, and you make the best you can out of your actual results, but if you aim high, you know that you put your best foot forward.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No, aim for exactly 3.8.

What do you think the answer is?

Always aim for a 4.0 and a 45.
You get what you get, and you make the best you can out of your actual results, but if you aim high, you know that you put your best foot forward.

These are my thoughts exactly. Because you will never regret being "too good".

Agree with @mehc012. Aim high. But there are a lot of other important factors such as the MCAT, ECs, research, LORs, your personality, etc.

Reactions: 1 user

Yes.

Harvard is not looking for stats. They have enough 4.0 applicants to fill ten Harvard Medical Schools. They are looking for unique, standout people who meet their mission first and foremost, who also incidentally happen to have really high stats.

Reactions: 1 user
If you can't realize on your own that the better GPA you have, the better your chances are...then you're probably not smart enough for Harvard anyway.

Like common. No one ever goes into a class aiming to do not do as well as possible. GPA is not even a distinguishing feature anymore...its just a reflection on your ability to learn material in med school and quite frankly, there are plethora/surplus of applicants today that have a high enough GPA.

The number of people with 3.8's, 3.9's, and 4.0's that apply to Harvard and get rejected is probably pretty darn high given their acceptance rate. Having a 4.0 with a mediocre MCAT score and poor EC's is practically worthless IMO.