Harvard Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrPush

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got a secondary from Harvard just now. Don't know whether or not they send it out to all the applicants. Got one from Albany and UCSF also. I am falling really behind on filling and getting them out. Can anybody inform me on whether all applicants secondaries from these schools or only a certain percentage. Thanks.

Push

Members don't see this ad.

Harvard sends it to everyone, as does Albany, I think. UCSF is more selective, so congratz on that one.

Why is the name of this thread "Harvard Medical School" when it's a question about secondaries from 3 schools :D ?

By the way, good job on the UCSF secondary. Supposedly, only ~1200 applicants get the secondary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a ton, short and easy, just how I like it. Just how the time will be till my rejection promptly comes :). I give it 2 hours after I'm complete.

It's only short and easy if you're only applying to the New Pathway program. There are essays for the HST and MD/PhD programs.

Funny, the scientists are the last ones we should expect to be able to write :)

i think this is it...can anyone confirm.....i did a search for u.:)

Office of the Committee on Admissions
Harvard Medical School
25 Shattuck Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02115-6092
(617) 432-1550
(617) 432-3307 (Fax)
Email: [email protected]

drguy22 said:
i think this is it...can anyone confirm.....i did a search for u.:)

Office of the Committee on Admissions
Harvard Medical School
25 Shattuck Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02115-6092
(617) 432-1550
(617) 432-3307 (Fax)
Email: [email protected]

thanks, I should have searched it myself, sorry :thumbup:

Guys...what is the difference between "the new pathway program" and the "harvard-MIT divison of health (HST) program" if i'm applying to the traditional 4 year MD program..which should i choose?

sdnstud said:
Guys...what is the difference between "the new pathway program" and the "harvard-MIT divison of health (HST) program" if i'm applying to the traditional 4 year MD program..which should i choose?

New pathway, although the HST sounds really attractive to me I don't have all the prereqs necessary to apply to it :(

HST is for people wanting to do research or academic medicine without doing the extra years of PhD work. However, New Pathway is for people wanting to go into clinical medicine.

The basic breakdown:

New Pathway: PBL, focuses on social issues, more students

HST: joint program with MIT, extra req's (differential eqn's and calc-based phys), lectures/semester format, focuses on science, more difficult, supposedly students receive more financial aide, thesis required and many students stay a fifth year for it, many others join the MD/PhD program

Scanned straight from MSAR:

The New Pathway Program is designed to accommodate the variety of interests, educational backgrounds, and career goals that characterize the student body. Basic science and clinical content are interwoven throughout the four years. In the first and second years, a problem-based approach that emphasizeds small-group tutorials and self-directed learning is complemented by laboratories, conferences, and lectures. Students are expected to analyze problems, locate relevant material in library and computer-based resources, and develop habits of lifelong learning and independent study. Clinical clerkships and a wide variety of elective courses and research opportunities are available at Harvard Medical School, its affiliated hospitals, Harvard University, and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (M.I.T.). One hundred thirty-five students are admitted to this program each year.

A second M.D. pathway is the Harvard-M.I.T. Division of Health Sciences and Technology Program (HST). This program was established jointly by the faculties of these two institutions. The curriculum of this program is designed for the student with a strong interest and background in quantitative science. Courses in the first two years are taught both at Harvard Medical School and M.I.T. with faculty drawn from both institutions. The curriculum is in a semester format. HST students join studnets of the New Pathway Program for their clinical rotations. A thesis is required for graduation. Thirty students are admitted to this program each year.

Alexander Pink said:
Funny, the scientists are the last ones we should expect to be able to write :)

Actually scientists spend much of their time writing papers and grants. :)