Has anybody applied late like August and still got in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how late it is to apply in August and take the mcat in august. Has anybody applied in August and got in to at least one med school, or at least have you heard stories about it?

Members don't see this ad.

Of course people have.

QFT. I applied in September/October, and I got into two. There are people on SDN who applied in November/December and got into at least one.

It is just harder for the schools that have rolling admissions.

It's also harder for schools with a single admissions date, because the interviews are given out on a rolling basis. If you apply late, then the AdComs might be a little stingier with giving out interviews...

Members don't see this ad :)
I took my MCAT in May, but did not submit my AMCAS until mid August. I got accepted to three schools (and I only applied to 9). If you're application is strong enough, of course you can get in somewhere.

It's certainly been done, but if you have a choice, it's always better to apply as early as you can. If you must take the August MCAT, just try to have everything else submitted so that when your scores are posted in September you'll be complete and ready for review ASAP. Certainly don't wait to submit your primary for verification until after your MCAT score is released. That's really asking for trouble. Be sure that the schools all have your primary, LORs and secondary (if they screen, then you'll have to wait for the secondary after your MCAT score is report to them, which will REALLY make you late) by the time your score is reported.

By being complete in September you'll be in the later group of applicants, and will most likely have a nail-biting time waiting for them to get through the thousands that applied before you until they review you and decide whether to send you an interview invite. If you have an otherwise solid app, solid stats, and especially a friendly instate school, I think that you've certainly got a good shot. Just submit the best application you can, and don't hold your breath, because it will take time. Try to stop reading SDN this fall. Otherwise you'll likely go insane as the invites are going out.

As for examples of people who submitted in August or September, while I don't think I'm necessarily representative (just insanely lucky), I applied to all schools in early June, except for one. The one that that I added to my AMCAS primary in September and submitted a secondary to in October is in fact my dream school, and the school I'll be attending. Did I help my chances any by applying so late? Definitely not! Did I get lucky? Beyond my wildest dreams. Could you? Absolutely! So, just give it your best. :luck:

I was wondering how late it is to apply in August and take the mcat in august. Has anybody applied in August and got in to at least one med school, or at least have you heard stories about it?

you're fine. I did it. But apply early if you can... its not a huge deal though

I did and got into 3 MD schools, one even offered a scholarship, however, it was one of the worst mistakes of my entire life. It delayed response at every school, and I didn't get a single interview until March. Avoid applying late at all costs.

When is early or late? Is having my MCAT score come out in August (July MCAT), considered late if I have everything else done?

I applied mid August, but I was specifically told by someone in admissions (at one of my top schools) that I would have had a much better chance if I'd interviewed before the class had filled... Earlier is better, but applying doesn't take you out of the running. If you apply late just be patient, and be ready to fill out financial aid forms for about a dozen schools...

i submitted the primary late junish..but wrote the august mcat. i thought that was late but it was ok since everything was complete in my file by beg aug except my mcat sccore. So my application was "fully" complete by mid august at most schools and i got accepted to two schools..interviewed in nov/dec at six. so its not too late!

It is possible, but apply as early. If you apply later, you may be competing for less seats. I applied late and some schools were interviewing for waitlists by the time I interviewed.

It is possible, but apply as early. If you apply later, you may be competing for less seats. I applied late and some schools were interviewing for waitlists by the time I interviewed.

When did you apply?

My AMCAS wasn't submitted until mid-September and verified in mid-October. I was lucky enough to get in somewhere but I still wouldn't recommend applying this late.

Members don't see this ad :)
a few friends of mine applied in sept/october and got in. it's possible, just not ideal.

Reactions: 1 user
My LOR's weren't in until mid-september to october, b/c my undergrad's committee refused to meet until the fall semester. But I don't think it hurt my app that much, I just didn't get the early advantage that other applicants had

Of course people have. I heard of someone that applied in Nov and got into a really good school, but the rest of their app was excellent. If you can help it, I wouldn't do it but if the rest of your app is solid you may have a decent shot. Also taking the August MCAT means you won't actually be applying til Sept when your scores are in and your file is complete.

One of my classmates took the Aug MCAT, and well, she made it in. However, I would NOT say that this is the norm.

I had several acceptances from schools that I applied to on the deadline date. It was a pain interviewing late, and it does make it more difficult I assume, but its not an application killer. Like has probably been said several times above me (I didn't read...), avoid it if you can, but don't worry. I had to because I took my MCAT very late.

I actually applied VERY late in SDN terms. I believe my primary got verified a day or two after Cheetos' but I did not complete secondaries until late November and early December for most schools (except UMs, ironically). I did better in the app cycle than I could possibly dream of, I got countless interviews at a wide range of schools and had multiple acceptances (see mdapp). I believe that good numbers, luck, an interesting life story, an honest interest in medicine, and probably the fact that I am hispanic helped in securing those. I also believe that interviews really made a difference for me. The bad thing: I started interviewing in early january knowing that a lot of the classes were getting full. The good thing: I was accepted to medical school about three months after submitting my primary and two months after submitting the secondary for my first acceptance.
Overall, I was extremely pleased with the process but I would not recommend it. However, I did not have a choice due to some issues with LORs.

My primary got verified Sept 24 (relatively speaking very late).

I had two interviews: One offer in early January for a Feb interview, and one offer mid-March for early April. Thankfully both turned into acceptances, however, it was a PAINFUL app season and a LONG wait. I really couldn't have applied sooner, so it is what it is. But applying late typically means a proportional decrease in responses from schools. I have really average stats, so I was in the middle of the bell curve, and late on top of that. If you're ahead of the bell curve you'll likely not feel as much of the hit of applying late. My theory, anyway.

To anyone who applies late: Be persistant and be patient. Applying can be rough, but you'll get through it.

I applied rather late, and though I did end up getting into my dream school, my tardiness definitely caused some schools to reject me. I took the May MCAT, but because I spent most of my summer in South America, I was a little late in submitting my primary application. I was verified by the second week in August, but then didn't submit the majority of my secondaries until late September/early October.

The result of my late applications? Mixed. I received acceptances from some top ten schools, only to have other top ten/top twenty schools not even give me an interview. (This fact could also simply illustrate how random the admissions game is.) It worked out in the end, but after receiving so many post secondary rejections I spent January and February thinking I didn't stand a chance at my dream school. Trust me, on top of all the other stuff I had to do second semester senior year, it wasn't fun.

So APPLY EARLY! It leads to a.) more peace of mind and b.) more choices come April.

Try to stop reading SDN this fall. Otherwise you'll likely go insane as the invites are going out.

I am in a similar situation (taking August 7th MCAT) but AMCAS/AACOMAS are both in. I am going to have to block this site from my browser because otherwise I will fall into a deep irreversible depression and quite possibly a coma. What I'm saying is that it was nice to get to know all of you.

I applied really late, took the mcat in sept., submitted my primary after that and the first secondary I submitted was Nov. 1st. I basically submitted all my secondaries on the day of the deadline, I got really overwhelmed and had no one to read over my secondary essays. Very stressful process. I submitted secondaries until late-December.

\*****************************************
**********APPLYING LATE HURTS YOU ***********
******************************************/
Can't stress this enough :D

When you apply late, everything becomes random. You're backup schools wont give you a interview. You interview really late and end up getting waitlisted for the most part. My first interview was jan 29th. The dean asked me "So, where else have you interviewed, this can't possibly your first interview". I had to reply back saying that in fact it is my first interview.

I did end up getting some good interviews and acceptances, but I had high stats. I am accepted to NYU, got waitlisted at UCSF and UCI. I got into some other lower tier schools too.

The one lesson I learned about the process is that APPLY EARLY. Its the most important factor in an acceptance, considering you have good stats.

I took the MCAT in August and didn't apply until I got the scores back, so I was pretty much applying at the deadline for TMDSAS(Texas). In hindsight that was a really bad idea. If I had to do it over again I would definitely submit the entire application pre-MCAT and then just forward the scores. I think it really is a pretty big disadvantage as I only got interviews from two schools with a 35 mcat and 3.75 gpa.... I got in off the waitlist after my December interviews, so I was happy but I consider myself lucky.