Has anyone considered becoming a Nurse?

Started by fejin757
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

fejin757

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I start my DPT in May, but I recently stumbled upon this accelerated BSN degree. I really like that I can go to school for free (vs. 150k of debt) and that the military has scholarship programs for nurses. So essentially, I will be getting paid to go to school. I also like that there are many subspecialties in nursing, and that you can pursue a CRNA or maybe a Nurse practitioner degree after only 2 years of practice.

So financially, nursing sounds like a better deal.

However, I do love anatomy, rehabilitation, and the science behind movement. My two ideal careers were PA and PT, and to be honest, I'd be happy with both. Would nursing be able to satisfy me?

Any thoughts? (sorry for the rushed post, I'm hungry!! )
 
There are a lot of different avenues you can take when you are a nurse. However, being a regular nurse is not a glamour job. I've been working as a CNA for the years I've been in undergrad and have ultimately written nursing off completely. I work at a hospital where I get to go to virtually every floor and have gotten to see a whole lot. The ER and ICU are probably the most exciting, but being a nurse on other floors seem to be all about passing out meds and cleaning up patients. As an RN you are the person everyone complains to or about. It is worth it to go into PT, in my opinion.
 
Like my wife tells me- dont settle! if you wnat to be a PT and have your heart set on being a PT, then be a PT. you don't wnat to kick yourself in the @$$ years down the road and hate being a nurse and wish you did PT school but now you cant (for whatever reason)