Has anyone got accpeted to USN with low GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

+Pharm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard the average GPA should be >>3.7 to get into USN.
Then would it be impossible to get into USN with 3.5ish GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

I heard the average GPA should be >>3.7 to get into USN.
Then would it be impossible to get into USN with 3.5ish GPA?

I have a 3.65 overall and I got waitlisted.

my friend got in with a low 3.6 GPA but her prereq was4.0

Members don't see this ad :)
I got in with an overall GPA of 2.789, science GPA of 3.2, 3+ years of pharmacy experience, no BS degree. I tied in my personal experience in the questionaires, did exceptionally well on the interview, IMO because I expressed my feeling and my passion for the profession, showed a bit emotion into answering. BTW, I got into the Utah campus, not Henderson. But I did ask to be wait listed for Henderson and accepted my Utah acceptance. Hope that helps

do u still have classes that u havent finished taking?

I was accepted off of the waitlist with a 3.23 overall GPA. I decided to go to Touro University instead though. So don't let your fears of not having a super high GPA get the best of you...in all honesty I almost didn't apply after reading the posts on this forum that if you don't have a 3.7 GPA, don't even bother. They are just rumors, half of these people just pull **** out of their asses it seems and then it becomes truth in their heads. Apply and good luck to you! :)

Well it's definitely possible...I was accepted with a 3.52 overall GPA and 4.0 Science GPA, no BS and 2 pre-reqs left to complete.

I think the key for me was that the rest of my application was well rounded with lots of EC's and volunteer work, and I had a really great interview.

The average GPA stat of 3.7 is correct, but you have to take into account that there will be students admitted from both ends of the spectrum. If you want to apply to USN and your GPA is on the low end, don't give up. Work to make the rest of your application stand out and be as prepared as possible for the interview, because this is where you'll really need to shine, especially compared to those candidates with higher GPA's.

If you put in some hard work now to round-out your application, and really prepare for the interview, you'll be rewarded when Dr. Deyoung starts making the acceptance calls. Good luck with everything.

You guys are awesome!!!

keep in mind that if your overall is on the low end your prereq/science must be on the high end and that has been consistent with what I have been hearing. USN doesn't require a lot of prereq so they want to see all As on those.

My aunt is a pharmacist who graduated from MCPHS so I am familiar with that school. But I had not even heard of USN until I visited this forum.

But it seems really interesting.

No recommendations, No PCAT, BUT the process seems quite fair to me.

In summary, is this correct?

1. The first stage who gets an interview is ONLY TWO FACTORS, nothing else:

1. prereq GPA with about 8-9 prereqs
2. overall GPA
(both weighted 28 points each) = 56

3. one point if all prereqs are completed at time of application
4. one point for each degree; that is, BS - one point, MS - one point, PhD - one point.

TOTAL POSSIBLE = 60

Points >=54 means interview

NEXT stage

5. Interview with 40 points with specific questions that are scored out of a certain number of points like an essay. Everyone is asked similar questions about the current state of pharmacy, what would you do if a patient and demanded so and so, how do you deal with a doctor that does not agree with you, etc.

Total up points:

>=91 is acceptance
85-91 is waitlist (ranked according to scores)
< 85 is rejection

So to get into this school:
1. make sure to get the GPA as high as possible. It seems that choice of school or where the prereqs are taken does not really matter, although you do get a whole point for bachelors degree. Hence someone with prereqs from UC Berkeley or Stanford with a 3.7 would not be weighted better than someone from an unknown four year school. At least it seems that there is no flexibility in the points to "weight" people's GPA according to school.

2. Understand current issues in pharmacy. It is a changing profession, and you will asked about these changes. I am sure they ask you about the different areas of clinical pharmacy although probably over 90% of the USN grads go into retail (most people do a three-year program to finish as soon as possible and not usually to go to residency although there are some exceptions).

However, it seems that if your GPA is lower than it better be at least at the minimum for an interview since it seems that there is not much chance to consider other parts of the application until the interview. So someone with a 3.2 GPA should have almost a 4.0 in the prereqs and this would average out to 3.6 which is probably just enough not to be cut. If both prereqs and overall is 3.2, then that person I do not think would have a chance with this system, even if the GPA was from a school like Johns Hopkins.