Has anyone here had OMT for a specific condition?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ByeByeCanada

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The more I read about the medical conditions OMT is used for, the more I realize why I'm genuinely interested: I've been afflicted with 3 of the top 5.

asthma :thumbup: :thumbup:
sinus disorder :thumbup:
carpal tunnel syndrome
migraines :thumbup:
menstrual pain

Has anyone ever been treated with OMT for Asthma, Migraines, Sinus Problems, or any other condition?

I've read a journal article about its use with both Asthma and Head Pain, but it would help to hear feedback from someone who has personally been treated.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

The more I read about the medical conditions OMT is used for, the more I realize why I'm genuinely interested: I've been afflicted with 3 of the top 5.

asthma :thumbup: :thumbup:
sinus disorder :thumbup:
carpal tunnel syndrome
migraines :thumbup:
menstrual pain

Has anyone ever been treated with OMT for Asthma, Migraines, Sinus Problems, or any other condition?

I've read a journal article about its use with both Asthma and Head Pain, but it would help to hear feedback from someone who has personally been treated.

Thanks.

Nope. I may as well come Fall though.

Other than for a neck or back injury, no I've never had it used on me. I am very suspicious of any use other than for musculoskeletal issues.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even for sinus issues? Seems very useful for those.
I've not looked into its efficacy in treating sinus conditions, but need I remind you that bloodletting at one time probably seemed like an useful treatment for a lot of conditions until serious and unbiased research was done? The OMM gurus have done, at best, a marginal job of backing up most of their claims with hard evidence as would be expected from any other medical modality.

I am treated with OMT for a ligament disorder. Very helpful.

My husband has asthma and had never had OMT before I made him try it - he was shocked to feel it was easier to breathe (his words) when I was done. When questioned, he said it was definitely an ease in the muscular component, but it also felt like his ribs just "moved easier" and he didn't have to work so hard against his muscles to get a deep breath. It's also been VERY helpful for dependent edema, strains, sprains, etc. Haven't learned head stuff yet, so no thoughts on that one.

With my cold I may get desperate enough to ask some second year to do anything they can think of to drain my sinuses. At this point, that may very well include an IO needle.

At this point, that may very well include an IO needle.

I've been tempted to do that to relieve sinus congestion before.......

For the sinus congestion, the technique that they use, if I'm not mistaken, is rocking the nasal bones by alternating pressure on the palate and between your eyebrows. I have used the forehead massage technique on my 2 year old recently for her bad sinus allergies and it does loosen up the mucous. Of course, benadryl works much better.

I've not looked into its efficacy in treating sinus conditions, but need I remind you that bloodletting at one time probably seemed like an useful treatment for a lot of conditions until serious and unbiased research was done? The OMM gurus have done, at best, a marginal job of backing up most of their claims with hard evidence as would be expected from any other medical modality.

Comparing OMM to bloodletting...sounds like a solid transition into a flame war. DKM, you should pick up "The D.O.s" and see how you feel after. It isn't a long read and if you don't like it then you'll have some background for your claims.

I have been treated several times for Sinus Infections. The first time I was a little suspicious and was sure it wasn't go to do anything other then feel good. The Doctor worked on me for about 15 minutes and it felt great but didn't really better immediately. Then about fifteen minutes later i felt like someone opened up a dam in my nose and throat. I had never had so much crap come out at one time, I had to get up and blow my nose and hack for a couple minutes. Then my sinuses were completely clear that whole day, got rid of my headache and everything. The next day I had a little congestion but nothing bad. Needless to say I was impressed.

yeah i am very hopeful about the future of clinical trials with controls for OMM. I WANT to believe that it works from a scientific standpoint. Anecdotal evidence only does so much other than to augment that hope.

I am excited to use it on relatives since it's more fun than handing them a bottle of pills :)

My friends and I love sacral rock technique for menstrual pain. It doesn't get rid of the pain completely all of the time, but it usually makes it much more bearable.

Comparing OMM to bloodletting...sounds like a solid transition into a flame war. DKM, you should pick up "The D.O.s" and see how you feel after. It isn't a long read and if you don't like it then you'll have some background for your claims

Already read it....it didn't have that much of an effect on my views that they have done a poor job of verifying stuff through reproducible trials. I don't see what a book on the history of the osteopathic profession has to do with an assertion about what is currently going on in regards to a lack of research.

BTW, I was being hyperbolic with the comparison I drew. I figured too many people would be offended if I used chiropractic (due to its similarities) and it's recent shortcomings in trials as an example.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am excited to use it on relatives since it's more fun than handing them a bottle of pills

And you can bill them for more if you do a little hocus pocus backrub on them too ;)

And you can bill them for more if you do a little hocus pocus backrub on them too ;)

Yep. And make oodles of cash...make much more money than ancillary staff, like respiratory therapists and such.

In fact, last year alone the office I worked in billed me for more than a typical RT makes in a year.

AND my patients got better.

AND didnt cough up mucus on me! :laugh:

BTW...to the OP:

I have had OMT done on me for a variety of things. Back pain, neck pain, URI, headache, hip pain, knee pain. Mostly due to athletic injuries and straining while reading for many hours or holding a retractor in the OR.

In fact, just today a protege of mine had to do a little work on my back. Leaning over the treatment tables helping 2nd year students does a number on my back...poor posture. :(

Can OMT cure cancer or gout? No.
Can it prevent you from having a cholecystectomy if you need it? Nope.

But it sure can help in a variety of things.

And to the people who keep saying "there is no evidence" I still laugh because there is indeed research out there. These people are just too lazy to look it up...or they dont know how. www.pubmed.gov ;)

So if I am having an asthma attack I want the best care available. I want a respiratory therapist at my bedside with meds doing his job (holding my nebulizer and wiping my spittle from my chin).

When I am having back pain I want my physician, a DO, to do his job. Take my back pain away without me having to take Ibuprofen, wait 4 hours and take it again...wait 4 hours and take it again...ice, stretch...

:thumbup:

Yep. And make oodles of cash...make much more money than ancillary staff, like respiratory therapists and such.

In fact, last year alone the office I worked in billed me for more than a typical RT makes in a year.

AND my patients got better.

AND didnt cough up mucus on me!

I've never had a patient cough mucus on me.....but point taken. Although you can scab at a striking hospital as an RT (easy work) and clear $5K a week. :smuggrin:

I want a respiratory therapist at my bedside with meds doing his job (holding my nebulizer and wiping my spittle from my chin).

I'll admit that I don't know that much about OMM and I'm probably throwing out the baby with the bathwater if you admit that you're oversimplifying RT. I guess we're both guilty of speaking of things we each have little respective knowledge of.

BTW, I had a DO manipulate my back at the hospital the other day so like I said before....it has its uses.

I guess we're both guilty of speaking of things we each have little respective knowledge of.

Thats all I wanted to hear. Thank you DKM. :thumbup:

(agreed BTW)

BTW...to the OP:

I have had OMT done on me for a variety of things. Back pain, neck pain, URI, headache, hip pain, knee pain. Mostly due to athletic injuries and straining while reading for many hours or holding a retractor in the OR.

In fact, just today a protege of mine had to do a little work on my back. Leaning over the treatment tables helping 2nd year students does a number on my back...poor posture. :(

Can OMT cure cancer or gout? No.
Can it prevent you from having a cholecystectomy if you need it? Nope.

But it sure can help in a variety of things.

And to the people who keep saying "there is no evidence" I still laugh because there is indeed research out there. These people are just too lazy to look it up...or they dont know how. www.pubmed.gov ;)

So if I am having an asthma attack I want the best care available. I want a respiratory therapist at my bedside with meds doing his job (holding my nebulizer and wiping my spittle from my chin).

When I am having back pain I want my physician, a DO, to do his job. Take my back pain away without me having to take Ibuprofen, wait 4 hours and take it again...wait 4 hours and take it again...ice, stretch...

:thumbup:

Good stuff, that's the response I was hoping for.

I've always had more minor annoyances than serious health issues so I'm hoping that OMT may help me avoid taking Tylenol for tension headaches, Ibubrofen for back pain, Salbutamol for mild asthma issues... So I'll be the first volunteer in every OMT lab.

Good stuff, that's the response I was hoping for.

I've always had more minor annoyances than serious health issues so I'm hoping that OMT may help me avoid taking Tylenol for tension headaches, Ibubrofen for back pain, Salbutamol for mild asthma issues... So I'll be the first volunteer in every OMT lab.

It can indeed help with all of that.

It likely cant cure the back pain you have had for 10 years post laminectomy. ;)

I got manipulated at the doctor's office yesterday for the firt time. I pipette all day so I usually have tension in my shoulder. At the office I didn't feel the pain until the dr. poked his finger in a spot on my shoulder. He kept his finger in the spot and pushed my shoulder over it and held for 90 sec. The spot started to get warm and went from stiff to mushy under his finger. It felt better while he was doing it, but as I left the office, I felt pain in the spot, which I didn't when I came in. I'm not sure what to make of that :oops:

Not uncommon with a counterstrain technique (what he did). Usually caused by a local tissue reaction of inflammatory cells.

You have a chronically spastic muscle that doesnt want to relax. This send painful input.

Treating the area with OMT can break that chronic reflex spasm, but it also increases blood flow (which you can attest to by the sensation you felt). With the bloodflow comes inflammatory cells. Also realize that the chronic muscle fibers were likely loaded with lactic acid from anaerobic metabolism due to the relative hypoperfused state.

So the pain you feel now is very temporary. Few hours to a day. NSAIDs, Ice, rest and water will help.

Small price to pay for relieving a painful and sore area that has likely been a problem for week! (months in some patients)

With the bloodflow comes inflammatory cells.

Hmmm, I guess that makes sense. It's interesting that a small movement on the shoulder can increase blood flow to the area so noticibly. I've been trying to pipette with my shoulder in that position and it seems to be helping. I guess that's what makes OMT so popular, almost instant gratification.

Hmmm, I guess that makes sense. It's interesting that a small movement on the shoulder can increase blood flow to the area so noticibly. I've been trying to pipette with my shoulder in that position and it seems to be helping. I guess that's what makes OMT so popular, almost instant gratification.

Sometimes instant gratification. :)

A few researchers have actually measured pretty significant endogenous opioid level increase after OMT.

Perhaps a mechanism for those patients who get addicted to coming into your office!

I started going for a really bad ankle injury in 2001. It took a lot of work - my fibula was stuck and kept getting re-stuck but we finally got it unstuck for good after about 2 years.

The best help it has been for is my neck. I get a lot of headaches when my neck gets out of alignment, which it seems to do easily.

i've had OMM for knee pain - definitely worked. :thumbup:

and i saw an OMM demo while i was touring PCOM on someone with nasal congestion - later that day she said she felt like it worked.

i've had OMM for knee pain - definitely worked. :thumbup:

and i saw an OMM demo while i was touring PCOM on someone with nasal congestion - later that day she said she felt like it worked.

ooh, what kind of knee pain? I have tons of knee pain from a past ACL reconstruction and probably meniscus tear. I should call up a DO.

I started going for a really bad ankle injury in 2001. It took a lot of work - my fibula was stuck and kept getting re-stuck but we finally got it unstuck for good after about 2 years.

The best help it has been for is my neck. I get a lot of headaches when my neck gets out of alignment, which it seems to do easily.

The DO I went to didn't know how to do OMT ... so I laughed at her.

Then I went to a chiropractor, and after 2 sessions, still problems. I have the same condition currently. Any suggestions for treatment options at home besides the RICE stuff?

The DO I went to didn't know how to do OMT ... so I laughed at her.

Then I went to a chiropractor, and after 2 sessions, still problems. I have the same condition currently. Any suggestions for treatment options at home besides the RICE stuff?
find a DO who does omt....

Yah - or get lucky like me, and find a PT who (unofficially) does OMT because he was a private student of Anne Wales for 35 years. Of course, he doesn't call it that, he calls it physical therapy, officially...

When you live in an area loaded with chiropractors and not enough DOs (or enough DOs that hide the fact that they're DOs and act like MDs and either don't do or don't remember how to do OMT) ... it is difficult.

When you live in an area loaded with chiropractors and not enough DOs (or enough DOs that hide the fact that they're DOs and act like MDs and either don't do or don't remember how to do OMT) ... it is difficult.

Agreed

OMT also works great after sleeping on a couch all night during night float. There's nothing like some OMT from the resident OMT guru in every intern class. I'd recommend osteopathic internships for this benefit alone.

In reference to the post about research and evidence, I've been very vocal on the osteopathic boards about the lack of evidence for OMT for many conditions. Nonetheless, I'm certainly familiar with the evidence that's out there. I have my personal pubmed account email me monthly updates for the query "osteopathic manipulative Therapy and Randomized Controlled Trials". This search currently yields 31 hits.

18 of those are relating to its use for painful musculoskeletal conditions.

4 relate to miscellaneous issues varying from evaluating sham OMT as a valid control to measuring endogenous endorphins in response to treatments, but none specific to a particular medical condition.

2 relate to the immune system response to immunizations with or without OMT

1 exists for each of the following conditions: dyslexia, asthma, infantile colic, otitis media, and depression. Notably, none of these were double blinded.

2 studies are notable relating to inpatient treatment of pancreatitis and pneumonia. These studies are small, but show positive benefit and were well designed.

There's definitely room to be critical of the evidence (or lack thereof) for OMT for the sake of making the profession better and trying to stimulate better research and more well designed trials. I'll leave it at that.

Well today i had to see an MD for severe muscle spasms in my upper thigh, he basically stretched my leg and massaged my thigh. Iam not even kidding, i never had omm done on me..but today's experience could be similar to OMM (assumption) seriously it worked, lot of my spasms calmed down..i basically have to stay away from the gym for a few dayz to completely recover. However, i am posting to reinforce the fact that something like OMM is a valuable tool to have.