Has anyone taken Endocrine Physiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docdocdoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Has anyone taken Endocrine Physiology? I'm majoring in engineering, and I am considering taking this class, but its offered through the physiology department, and I haven't really had any upperdivision science courses, except for biochem. Any insight into this class is appreciated!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

doc,

I took an endocrinology course as part of my masters program and thought it was a great class! However, I'd recommend a basic anatomy/physiology course before taking endocrinology/endocrine phys.

I'm not sure how it's done at your school, but my endo course was taught assuming everyone had a good understanding of human physiology and anatomy. I can't imagine what it'd be like to learn all the specifics of the different hormones w/o having this background knowledge.

For example: learning about (and really understanding) the endocrine factors that regulate BP requires a good understanding of renal/CVS physiology.

So, it kind of depends on how your school teaches the class. If the systems physiology is taught alongside the endocrinology, then I think you'd be okay. Otherwise, you might want to reconsider.

I know of a couple students who took the class w/o this prior experience and really struggled. They still did well, but, they had to engage in a lot of "outside" learning on their own. Anyway, I hope this helped a bit.

Oh, and one more thing: if you do decide to take endo, I'd recommend buying the BRS Physiology book. It has an excellent endocrinology chapter summarizing the important information you'll need (you'll use this again when you take Phys in med school). I used this book rather than the required text and had no regrets!