Hate crime death outside NYCPM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
dpmpossible said:
did anyone else see there was a hate crime death outside NYCPM????!!!!!

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/64110.htm

i didn't know it was so unsafe?

is the school doing anything about this?

eric


it was at the popeyes down the street not on the school campus at midnight. There are no students at school that late. The library closes at 10pm. The school already has 24 hour security so no they are not doing anything else. these things happen all over NYC and all over the country.

One of the NYCPM students was mugged down the street from the school on 124th street (not the main street).

A friend of mine got pick pocketed after visiting an ATM on 125th street. These things happen.

We have 2 professors from Temple who say they feel safer in Harlem than in Philly. I'm sure the temple students all know someone who has been mugged or something.

Like I said before - these things happen. You have to be careful where ever you go.

I'm just curious... what would you suggest the school do?
 
krabmas said:
it was at the popeyes down the street not on the school campus at midnight. There are no students at school that late. The library closes at 10pm. The school already has 24 hour security so no they are not doing anything else. these things happen all over NYC and all over the country.

One of the NYCPM students was mugged down the street from the school on 124th street (not the main street).

A friend of mine got pick pocketed after visiting an ATM on 125th street. These things happen.

We have 2 professors from Temple who say they feel safer in Harlem than in Philly. I'm sure the temple students all know someone who has been mugged or something.

Like I said before - these things happen. You have to be careful where ever you go.

I'm just curious... what would you suggest the school do?

Not much of any of that happening in the corn fields.
 
dpmpossible said:
no, but the NYU student was killed at 125th and Park, which is the address of the NY podiatry school.

-e.


The school sits in between 124th and 125th streets and between park and madison avenues.

The popeyes where the kid ran out of and was hit by a car is at 125th street between park and lexington avenues. this is a block away.

The news reported a week ago or more that the NYU student was in Popeyes and was harrassed by some teenages smoking pot - they wanted to rob the NYU student or something. Then the NYU student ran out of the Popeyes, the teenagers chased him and the NYUer ran into traffic and was hit by a car.
He died.

This is unfortunate but - even I would not hang around there after 10pm, and I go almost anywhere.

It is not smart to go anywhere in NYC alone late at night. That is just the reality.

How can a neighborhood be considered anywhere close to safe when the restaurants serve the food thru slots in bullet proof glass - like Popeyes?
 
krabmas said:
it was at the popeyes down the street not on the school campus at midnight. There are no students at school that late. The library closes at 10pm. The school already has 24 hour security so no they are not doing anything else. these things happen all over NYC and all over the country.

One of the NYCPM students was mugged down the street from the school on 124th street (not the main street).

A friend of mine got pick pocketed after visiting an ATM on 125th street. These things happen.

We have 2 professors from Temple who say they feel safer in Harlem than in Philly. I'm sure the temple students all know someone who has been mugged or something.

Like I said before - these things happen. You have to be careful where ever you go.

I'm just curious... what would you suggest the school do?

jesus, so what you're saying is that violent crimes are common outside of your school, so "deal with it"!!!!

i visited a couple schools already (not NY yet), but from what i've seen, they're not getting mugged or being victims of hate crimes.

not a good answer in my opinion.

-e.
 
dpmpossible said:
jesus, so what you're saying is that violent crimes are common outside of your school, so "deal with it"!!!!

i visited a couple schools already (not NY yet), but from what i've seen, they're not getting mugged or being victims of hate crimes.

not a good answer in my opinion.

-e.


it was not on the school property. what can they do.

and yes that is what I am saying "sh_t happens, deal with it" people that live in NYC either arrange their lives differently so that they avoid these situations - like not going into certain sections at certain times - or just take their chances.

No matter how nice a neighborhood in NYC becomes there will still be crime.

and for the record I grew up in middle of no-where maryland - not NYC and crime happened there too. rapes, murders, theft. we live in a dangerous world. NYCPM has enough trouble educating its students I do not suggest they step into the role of superhero of NYC anytime soon.
 
IlizaRob said:
Not much of any of that happening in the corn fields.

Ya, I can pretty much guarantee DMU has the lowest crime rate of all of the schools. Our metro area is around 400,000 and the most committed crimes are white-collar crimes!!! West Des Moines, where a lot of students live, has not had a murder for years (one in 2003).
 
I have one more comment...

I used to live in DC before pod school.

everyone associates Georgetown as a nice yuppy(ish) place.

well - there are constantly reports of theft and muggings in G-town.

There was also a murder/robbery in the starbucks in georgetown. my friend was killed.

What did the university do? Probably nothing because it is not their place or property. they own the land the school is on not the town.
 
jonwill said:
Ya, I can pretty much guarantee DMU has the lowest crime rate of all of the schools. Our metro area is around 400,000 and the most committed crimes are white-collar crimes!!! West Des Moines, where a lot of students live, has not had a murder for years (one in 2003).


If I didn't want to live in NYC so bad I would have gone to DMU or Chicago. AZpod was not a school when I started.

I am not trying to say that you should go to NYCPM, but this is one case where I think the school really cannot do anything else. Harlem is dangerous - Oh well.

If you want to go to a safe school with good academics and good rep go to DMU. If you want to add nice weather to that - go to AZpod.
 
I'm afraid to go to school b/c Jon and Rob said that they would give me plantar fasciitis.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The interesting thing about this case that has really made headlines in New York is the racial element, hasn't been mentioned here yet...

In this case, it was black on white crime...the young perpetrators chased the victim into oncoming traffic. It seems that indeed they were trying to rob him, but in addition, several witnesses (african-american) claim that the youths were shouting "Whitey" and "Whiteboy" at the time.

Just goes to show that racism isn't a one way street.
 
doclm said:
Yeah, we have the same corn fields you have. :laugh:

We just like to pretend that it is different once we pass the IA state line. Growing up 15 miles north from the IA border, I have seen many parts of IA. Anyone go to Spirit Lake/ Lake Okoboji in the summers? If you got a boat or some jet ski's its a hot place. 👍

Just curious, how many of you DMU'ers are from IA?

Any shoutouts for Luther College?
I have some friends that I work with that have gone to Luther, they said there are quite a few graduates that apply to DMU-COM and a couple DMU-CPSM.
 
doclm said:
We just like to pretend that it is different once we pass the IA state line. Growing up 15 miles north from the IA border, I have seen many parts of IA. Anyone go to Spirit Lake/ Lake Okoboji in the summers? If you got a boat or some jet ski's its a hot place. 👍

Just curious, how many of you DMU'ers are from IA?

Any shoutouts for Luther College?
I have some friends that I work with that have gone to Luther, they said there are quite a few graduates that apply to DMU-COM and a couple DMU-CPSM.

Kirsten Sparks is from Luther.
 
I went to undergrad at Gustavus Adolphus in St Peter and we went down to Okoboji for fraternity banquets and stuff. I can't wait to get back to MN I hear it is a pretty good state to practice podiatry in.
 
gustydoc said:
I went to undergrad at Gustavus Adolphus in St Peter and we went down to Okoboji for fraternity banquets and stuff. I can't wait to get back to MN I hear it is a pretty good state to practice podiatry in.

I also attended Gustavus Adolphus for a short period of time. I had a full scholarship after attending two years of college (first year at Minnesota West and second year at Minnesota State U, Mankato) with a 4.0 GPA. However, while I was at GAC my divorced parents got into an allamony battle, and I lost all of my financial support overnight, and had to move home the next semester and come back to MSU. I drove 60 miles each way from home (Fairmont) to go to MSU, GAC was too far of a drive for me. I do regret not getting a dorm. I would probably have graduated much earlier than DEC 2003. It took me 5.5 yrs to complete my undergrad because of jumping around to different schools.

When did you attend GAC? Facilities are really nice, I was able to attend a Noble Conference about Globalization. I was upset that I missed the presentation from the Human Genome Project the previous year.

Where in MN are you from??
 
Actually I am from Wichita Kansas, but I played hockey for Gustavus. There aren't really any private schools with the reputation of Gustavus and NCAA hockey in Kansas so I tried out for Gustavus. I graduated in 2002 and took a year off after getting married the summer after graduation. I'm sorry to here that you had to leave, but MSU is a pretty fun school and we used to make the trip to Mankato sometimes to party. I actually had a season pass to mount kato my senior year. The science facilities were amazing and the Nobel conference was certainly cool I agree. Nice to know a fellow gusty is in the profession. Do you plan on practicing in MN?
 
gustydoc said:
Actually I am from Wichita Kansas, but I played hockey for Gustavus. There aren't really any private schools with the reputation of Gustavus and NCAA hockey in Kansas so I tried out for Gustavus. I graduated in 2002 and took a year off after getting married the summer after graduation. I'm sorry to here that you had to leave, but MSU is a pretty fun school and we used to make the trip to Mankato sometimes to party. I actually had a season pass to mount kato my senior year. The science facilities were amazing and the Nobel conference was certainly cool I agree. Nice to know a fellow gusty is in the profession. Do you plan on practicing in MN?

Yes, I hope to come back to MN. Not sure where yet though.

Not in Rochester, since all of the Orthopods hog the surgery. The three DPM's that work at Mayo cannot do any surgery, they only do comprehensive foot/ankle care.

Mankato, would be one of my first choices. Although there is a newer Pod there that started up practice with a 3-yr residency, I think that there still may be hope for me there.

Another area that I would be interested in would be Winona, however Gunderson Luther Hospital in La Crosse may bring some saturation to the area. However, I would be happy to work for Gunderson Luther.

Yeah, Mankato has some awsome parties for college students. During my last year I moved up there and had an apt one block from the downtown nightclubs. I could not imagine how many drunk college students there were wandering through my parking lot. No wonder why MSU has like a 60% retension rate the first year.
 
krabmas said:
it was at the popeyes down the street not on the school campus at midnight. There are no students at school that late. The library closes at 10pm. The school already has 24 hour security so no they are not doing anything else. these things happen all over NYC and all over the country.

One of the NYCPM students was mugged down the street from the school on 124th street (not the main street).

A friend of mine got pick pocketed after visiting an ATM on 125th street. These things happen.

We have 2 professors from Temple who say they feel safer in Harlem than in Philly. I'm sure the temple students all know someone who has been mugged or something.

Like I said before - these things happen. You have to be careful where ever you go.

I'm just curious... what would you suggest the school do?

Yeah these things do happen, especially in a large city like NYC. But the students here do look out for each other. The student that got mugged was a close friend of mine, and we were able to raised $200 the very next day to chip-in for some of the things he lost.
 
doclm said:
Yes, I hope to come back to MN. Not sure where yet though.

Not in Rochester, since all of the Orthopods hog the surgery. The three DPM's that work at Mayo cannot do any surgery, they only do comprehensive foot/ankle care.

Mankato, would be one of my first choices. Although there is a newer Pod there that started up practice with a 3-yr residency, I think that there still may be hope for me there.

Another area that I would be interested in would be Winona, however Gunderson Luther Hospital in La Crosse may bring some saturation to the area. However, I would be happy to work for Gunderson Luther.

Yeah, Mankato has some awsome parties for college students. During my last year I moved up there and had an apt one block from the downtown nightclubs. I could not imagine how many drunk college students there were wandering through my parking lot. No wonder why MSU has like a 60% retension rate the first year.

Since you mentioned Gunderson Luther Hospital, Dr. David Calderella, who is an attending at the Gunderson Luther Hospital Podiatric Surgical Residency Program, is lecturing at the DePuy conference on Internal and External Fixation of the Foot and Ankle this weekend in Philadelphia.
 
DPMrick said:
Yeah these things do happen, especially in a large city like NYC. But the students here do look out for each other. The student that got mugged was a close friend of mine, and we were able to raised $200 the very next day to chip-in for some of the things he lost.

I agree with you and Krabmas. These things can happen in any major metropolitan areas.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
dpmgrad said:
Since you mentioned Gunderson Luther Hospital, Dr. David Calderella, who is an attending at the Gunderson Luther Hospital Podiatric Surgical Residency Program, is lecturing at the DePuy conference on Internal and External Fixation of the Foot and Ankle this weekend in Philadelphia.

I was trying to contact him this week via his nurse, however I was unable to get ahold of him yet. I'll try again next week.

So does this guy does some pretty cool surgeries? I am trying to find a newer Pod with a 3 yr residency to shadow.
 
Hate crimes do happen in liberal cities like NYC, I hate how small town America cops it for racism.