Have 1 Acceptance/ 5 WLs, When to Send Letter of Intent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

partypantss

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, so I'm fortunate enough to have an acceptance to an OOS private school and am on 5 waitlists for various other schools. One of those schools is one of my state schools that I consider my top choice. If I want to send that top choice school a letter of intent, should I do it around now or wait until after traffic day? If I do it this month I will obviously make sure to explain that I have an acceptance already but that they are my top pick.

The pro I see to sending it soon is that they get the info before the large amount of WL movement in May and thus it could help my chances to get on that movement.

The con I see to sending it sooner rather than later is that it will have more meaning if I get other acceptances later on from my other 4 Waitlists and can say that I would give those up as well for this school.

Thoughts/ advice?

Members don't see this ad.

The better timing is close to when they are reviewing the waitlist.
So do you think if one is going to send a letter of intent that mid-April would be the time to do so?

Members don't see this ad :)
So do you think if one is going to send a letter of intent that mid-April would be the time to do so?
It will depend on the school.
Many of them don't get to the waitlist until June or later, others go there even before May.

It will depend on the school.
Many of them don't get to the waitlist until June or later, others go there even before May.
Ugh I'm in for a long couple months.

Reactions: 1 user
Ugh I'm in for a long couple months.
When you see waitlist movement in the school specific thread and you are accepted to a "better" school and they have an unranked waitlist and welcome these letters, send it.

When you see waitlist movement in the school specific thread and you are accepted to a "better" school and they have an unranked waitlist and welcome these letters, send it.
So you think if my acceptance isn't to a generally considered "better" school that I shouldn't bother sending a letter?

So you think if my acceptance isn't to a generally considered "better" school that I shouldn't bother sending a letter?
It is unlikely to make a difference.
They can already tell you will come without a letter.

EDIT: nvm question answered