Have 20 schools, need to add 10 more!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrmandrake

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please check mdapp profile for my background.
Summary: 25yo, 3.33 GPA from UCSD with B.S. in Computer Science, Post-Bacc at UCI with 4.0 GPA, 3.63 BCPM, 34O MCAT, ok ECs, California resident

Please add any schools from the two groups below if you think it's a good match for me. The (x:y) is the number of residents vs. non-residents accepted according to MSAR 2008-09, followed by GPA and MCAT. I'm probably going to add EVMS, SUNYs, and VCU:

Group 1 (moderate GPA < 3.7, moderate MCAT < 34)
4. Eastern Virginia Medical School - (71:38) – 3.5/3.43 – 30
11. Rush Medical College - (100:40) – 3.64/3.58 – 30
12. SUNY Downstate - (142:43) – 3.65/3.61 – 31
13. SUNY Upstate - (96:42) – 3.72/3.68 – 32
20. University of Cincinnati - (115:43) – 3.73/3.69 – 32
21. University of Illinois - (241:83) – 3.62/3.53 – 31
22. University of Toledo - (97:58) – 3.67/3.58 – 30
23. University of Vermont - (36:67) – 3.7/3.69 – 31
24. Virginia Commonwealth University - (104:79) – 3.62/3.56 – 30
25. Wayne State University - (229:48) – 3.68/3.62 – 31

Group 2 (high GPA > 3.7, moderate MCAT < 34)
2. Medical College of Wisconsin - (97:107) – 3.77/3.73 – 30
3. University of Miami - (135:41) – 3.76/3.72 – 32
5. Ohio State University - (115:96) – 3.81/3.77 – 33
6. Saint Louis University - (44:127) – 3.74/3.7 – 31
7. Wake Forest University - (47:65) – 3.73/3.69 – 32
8. Oregon Health & Science University - (84:36) – 3.75/3.73 – 33
9. Dartmouth College - (6:66) – 3.77/3.79 – 33
10. University of Virginia - (66:73) – 3.79/3.78 – 33

List of Schools Applying To:
Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein of Yeshiva University
Boston University
Case Western Reserve University
Creighton University
Drexel University
Jefferson Medical College
Loma Linda University
Loyola University Chicago
New York Medical College
Pennsylvania State University
Rosalind Franklin University
Temple University
Tufts University
Tulane University
University of California, Davis
University of California, Los Angeles
University of California, San Diego
University of California, San Francisco
Vanderbilt University

Members don't see this ad.

need 10 more? wtf?

i know you're from cali so ppl from cali think they have to apply to a trilliion schools since your instate schools are so tough, but that 30 isn't necessary. i only have one instate, albeit easier to get into, and applying to 15-20.

you should go ahead and eliminate rush off your list. they accept barely any OOS...look it up in MSAR. actually, you are wanting to apply to AS MANY schools as you can apparently. so i guess leave it haha.

Yea I'm just paranoid because I read all these horror stories with people not getting in. My stats aren't stellar so I that makes me even more worried.

Rush accepted 40 OOS last year so I might keep that.

need 10 more? wtf?

i know you're from cali so ppl from cali think they have to apply to a trilliion schools since your instate schools are so tough, but that 30 isn't necessary. i only have one instate, albeit easier to get into, and applying to 15-20.

you should go ahead and eliminate rush off your list. they accept barely any OOS...look it up in MSAR. actually, you are wanting to apply to AS MANY schools as you can apparently. so i guess leave it haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should probably focus on the private schools, since out of state public schools can be quite finicky. Wake and SLU could work out for you. Toledo is pretty good about letting in out of staters, so that could work out even though it's public.

Best of luck!

Thanks guys .... keep'em coming ... input is appreciated!

You should probably focus on the private schools, since out of state public schools can be quite finicky. Wake and SLU could work out for you. Toledo is pretty good about letting in out of staters, so that could work out even though it's public.

Best of luck!

Where are you getting all of that money? That's $1030, before you've paid any school application costs! That's like 1 out of every 25 dollars of my take home pay. Is there a secret pool I don't know about?

I worked full time during my post bacc ... I wish there was a secret pool ...

Where are you getting all of that money? That's $1030, before you've paid any school application costs! That's like 1 out of every 25 dollars of my take home pay. Is there a secret pool I don't know about?

Yeah I've been saving money all semester, plus my graduation money, and working full-time this summer (and next year) to cover application costs. I don't know how people do it during the school-year - time-wise and money-wise.

For traveling to interviews, I will be inviting my friends with me to the cities. That way I won't be lonely on the drive and we can split the cost on everything. Anything that will save money is a good thing in my book, but we are only applying to medical school once (or that's the goal, right?), so I don't think it's a bad thing to apply to a large number of schools.

30 schools is too many.

Pick 20 schools that you would really be happy attending, choose a few that are "reach schools" choose mostly schools that you think you have a decent chance at getting into, and choose a couple schools you think you have a solid chance at getting into.

As you will soon find out, most schools don't screen too much for secondaries...so you will be out a tremendous amount of time and money applying to 30 schools. It is better to focus on a handful of schools, do really well on your secondaries (great essays, great turn around time), than to burden yourself with too many schools.

I applied to 14 schools and felt it was too much by the end of it. Once you add on plane tickets to all your interviews as well...and all the time it takes...30 schools would have killed me.